Outside of my day job as a project manager for a construction company, I am an avid gamer with a great passion for "Call of Duty."
The stone knife is a valuable tool that can be crafted early in the game using readily accessible natural resources. It can currently be used in various ways, and it is likely to be used to create a large range of items in future versions of the game.
In This Guide:
- Needed To craft the Improvised Knife
- Finding or Making a Small Stone
- Crafting the Improvised Knife
- Uses for the Improvised Knife
- Benefits and Drawbacks of the Improvised Knife
Needed to Craft The Improvised Knife:
- Small Stone
- Rough Surface
- Stone (optional)
- Pickaxe (optional)
Finding or Crafting a Small Stone
There are currently two methods that can be used to secure a small stone. It can be either found or created from a Stone. The best method will depend on your current resources and surroundings.
Create a Small Stone
In order to make a Stone, you will first need to have a Pickaxe. Making this stone will damage your pickaxe, so you will likely want to find one that is not already Badly Damaged. Next you will need to use the pickaxe to create a stone from a large rock.
After you have crafted the stone, you will again need to use your pickaxe to split it in half.
- Go into your player interface menu.
- Drag the stone over your Pickaxe (the stone's background should turn orange).
- After releasing your button, a menu should pop up, giving you an option to split the stone in half.
- After you select the option, you will have created two small stones. You will only need one in order to craft the Improvised Knife.
Finding a Small Stone
A small stone can be found by searching on the ground in several types of areas. This method is similar to the one used to search for Wooden Sticks. When in the correct area, look down at the ground to initiate the search for small stones option. The option will appear in the center of your screen and will be initiated by pressing your action button. At that point, you will see the animations that indicate that you are searching. When the animation ends, a status update will indicate if your search was successful. Continue to do this until the status update indicates that you have found something.
Read More From Levelskip
Areas to Search:
- Area around ponds and streams
- Side of small roads
- Areas that look as if they are covered in brush and small stones
Crafting the Improvised Knife
Crafting the knife is quick and easy after the small stone is acquired. It is created by rubbing the knife off a rough surface. Every surface used in finding or crafting the small stone is also the surface used to create the Improvised Knife. This includes the areas that can be searched and the rocks used to create the Stone.
- Hold the small stone in your hand.
- Approach the rough surface.
- An option will appear on your screen - "Craft the Improvised Knife." Select your action button.
- Allow the crafting animation to finish.
Uses for the Improvised Knife
The list below details some of the uses for the Improvised Knife. Many of these tasks will be a step in crafting an item, such as sharpening a stick in order to craft an Improvised Arrow. The uses for this knife are expected to expand in future versions, along with the possibility of future improvements to the knife.
- Opening Cans
- Skinning Animals
- Crafting Burlap Strips
- Melee Weapon
- Chop Kindling
- Sharpen Sticks
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Improvised Knife
I often carry an Improvised Knife, even when more advanced replacements are available. This small knife fits into a single inventory slot, and can easily be replaced when it becomes damaged. The lists below include some of the benefits and drawbacks to this easily crafted knife.
- Only Uses One Slot
- Has Multiple Uses
- Crafted from easy to find resources
- Wastes less food when opening cans than most tools
- Limited Reach as a Melee Weapon and low damage
- Wastes more food than the can opener