League of Legends: Lux Build Guide
Lux as a Utility Mid
Unlike many mids, this guide focuses on playing mid by leaning into the team dynamic rather than simply your own lane. By playing for saves, rotations, and the occasional snipe Lux can dominate the battlefield in a very unique way on League of Legends.
Lux is often preyed upon by the many assassin mids, particularly those with dashes like Talon or Zed. Any mid with a dash can be a threat; if Lux misses her snare, she's helpless.
So why focus on such a risky fight? Lux thrives on her amazing range and utility focused skills which makes her excel at ganking, generally supporting the team, and of course farming while at a safe distance.
Combining mana regeneration and cooldown reduction with this strategy will allow you to dominate. This does limit her ability to one shot picks on enemy champions, but opens up many other opportunities.
I personally prefer these runes, but a handful of options feel completely viable.
Domination is another good option, but the 5% bonus CDR can really help Lux's spell uptime, particularly if you're going to get Ardent Censer or other generally supportive items as your shield upkeep is basically constant. The Ardent Censer buff lasts for 6 seconds, and the Lux shield cooldown at maximum cooldown is also 6 seconds so it's very easy to continuously buff your allies.
Even not considering that, with Lux' CC and long range ultimate, her cooldowns help push her utility to the maximum. At maximum cooldown, her ultimate ability can be used every 28 seconds!
Viable Lux Builds
The images above are pretty standard builds, but you can make adjustments such as:
- Liandry's Torment is also an option for tankier teams.
For items I don't recommend:
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: The slow won't benefit you a lot, it will be up by the time the snare is up, the shield won't slow obviously, and your E already slows. It will help your ult in slowing, but really you should be ulting for finishing and typically ulting people who are already CCd so they can't dodge.
You also don't need the health as much due to Lux keeping her distance to leverage her range. If you're regularly in range of getting attacked to the point you feel you need health, you're playing her incorrectly.
- Rod of Ages: You don't need the health, you need to focus on using your range to your advantage so fully embrace glass cannon status.
Lux does have a devastating combo with Q, E, R, but she's not Annie. Unlike Annie, Lux shines with her utility and range as well as damage. For a minor sacrificing in damage (Magic pen boots) you can gain the cooldown reduction to more continuously shield allies, slow/snare escaping enemies, and even ult twice per fight as your ult will reach a 30 second cooldown. It also synergizes well with Zhonya's if you're getting jumped on.
In light of her range, this allows Lux to have incredible control over the battlefield with a frequent and potent support range anywhere near the fight. Play to her strengths! Not your desire to devastate just 1 person.
However, if you're hitting CDR cap with your build, obviously go for magic pen boots, just think about it first.
- Watch how the lane is pushing bottom, and roam whenever you possibly can.
Pay attention to warding, check out the map.
- You can use E and Q to steal the small enemy birds. Not major, but a nice sneak.
- Even if you can't rotate, you should make it a habit to disappear regularly to throw them off.
- Position is everything! If you lose your range advantage, you lose your life. Put yourself near escapes and furthest from harm and don't feel obligated to basic attack during a team when all your spells are on cooldown. Particularly be mindful of dragon, people often position themselves poorly there. You should be inside of it to be ready to flash over and away, or off to the side you know is safe.
- While doing dragon, your focus is on buying time. Lux is not the greatest at doing dragon. You can spell shield your allies and do some weak attacks, but really your best bet is to use your spells to slow enemies, give vision, and discourage an interruption.
- Remember, your E gives you vision. Great for circumstances like mentioned above, people will know you know and will often not want to walk through it.
- Ward the enemy jungle. For those of you with big balls, this will allow you to snag the occasional minion with your ult.
- Don't save your ult, use it when you can hit multiple priority targets. Her cooldown is short, you can use it at the beginning of a fight if 2 or 3 enemies line up. If it's a long fight, you'll get to use it again. Don't save it for when 1 person is running away. Win the fight first.
Elementalist Lux Skins
I understand the below map basically says "anywhere near you" but really it just depends on how the game is going.
- The nearest mid bushes are not ideal because they don't cover river, but a viable option if your opponent rotates to bushes regularly for cover (Think Varus mid) or you simply can't get away to ward river areas. Ideally you are covering river to see Jungle movements more easily, spotting if they come into river to look for an invade, gank mid, or just getting scuttle/dragon.
- Prioritize warding dragon-side, and hanging over that direction. It's more important to have visibility and be able to rotate towards dragon and bottom.
- CONTROL WARDS! They allow you to rotate freely to bottom, which you will need to do for kills. If you're top side, consider using a pink in place of the upper river bush.
Targeting & Peel
Let's be honest, you can't always depend on your team to peel for carries. With Lux' range, she's in the unique position to be able to peel for ADCs and herself, while also having the range to deal damage to high priority targets. Don't go crazy running in because you want to combo their ADC, snare the tank that's got their eyes on you first and ult the ADC. It should be enough to get them running.
In other words, do your own peeling (for you and your ADC or other squishies) if you have to.
Do this and all of the above, you'll have minimal deaths, maximum assists, and hopefully a bunch of kills to go with it.
Questions & Answers
© 2015 Dilbert