Poppy is the author of "A Bard's Lament." She lives in Enoshima and likes to read novels and play video games, especially open-world RPGs.
Gaming is a popular hobby. Though in the past, gaming mostly consisted of heading to the arcade to play Tetris, Pacman, and Space Invaders, it has transformed in the past few decades and now it has never been easier to enjoy video games of many different genres in the comfort of your own home.
The gaming industry is now more affluent than both the book and movie industries! Whether you love to scream at horror games, compete with your friends or strangers online in battle-focused tournaments, or explore magical worlds in RPGs, when it comes to games, it seems that there's something for everyone.
There are also people who can make a living from this hobby by utilizing sites such as YouTube and Twitch. So if you know someone who is passionate about video games, here are 50 great questions to ask them to start up a conversation!
50 Fun Questions to Ask a Gamer
1. What's your favorite game of all time?
2. What's a game you thought you'd like but actually hated?
3. What's a really popular game everyone seems to love but you don't like?
4. What's a game you didn't expect to enjoy but ended up liking?
5. What game have you spent the most number of hours on?
6. If you had to marry the last video game character you played, who would it be?
7. If you had to live in the world of the last game you played, what world would it be?
8. Have you ever had a crush on a video game character?
9. What was the first game you ever remember playing?
10. Have you ever pretended to be sick to get out of something so you could play a game?
11. What game did you last complete?
12. What game are you playing right now?
13. What game do you want to play next?
14. In your opinion, what is the best games console?
15. Are PC gamers really superior to console players?
16. What's your opinion on Fortnite?
17. Have you ever watched a Twitch stream?
18. Have you ever streamed yourself on Twitch or YouTube?
19. Have you ever used a walkthrough?
20. What's the best weapon you've ever used in a game?
Fascinating Gaming Questions
21. Have you ever had to stop playing a game because it was too scary?
22. Has a game's storyline ever made you cry?
23. What's your favorite fighting class: warrior, mage, or rogue, and why?
24. What's your favorite game genre?
25. Do you prefer multiplayer games or to go solo?
26. Do you prefer co-op or player vs player?
27. What is the first console you ever owned?
28. What or who got you into video games in the first place?
29. What is the longest amount of time you have sat playing games non-stop?
30. If video games didn't exist anymore, what would you do?
31. What is your favorite song from a game?
32. Have you ever wanted to live in a world from a game? If so, which one and why?
33. Which video game character do you most wish you were like?
34. What's a game you've spent the most amount of money on?
35. If you could have one power of any video game character, who would it be?
36. Who do you usually choose as your fighter in Super Smash Brothers / Soul Calibur / Street Fighter, etc.?
37. XBOX or PlayStation? Choose one!
38. What are you hoping for at the next E3?
39. Who is your favorite villain from a video game and why?
40. What is your favorite game from your childhood?
How to Talk to a Gamer
41. Are there any games you're really bad at?
42. Have you ever seen somebody get really angry when they lose?
43. What's your favorite game series of all time?
44. What's more important: action or story?
45. Is there a game that is considered to be really bad but is your secret guilty pleasure?
46. If you could have any video game character as your best friend, who would it be?
47. If you could marry any game character, who would it be?
48. Would you rather have loads of time to play games but only be able to buy two games a year, or be able to buy loads of games but never have much time to play them?
49. In your opinion, what is the worst game of all time that you've played?
50. Would you give up video games for life and receive $500,000 in cash, or would you refuse the money?
Chatting about video games is a lot of fun for enthusiastic gamers. With these 50 engaging questions, you can easily start a fun conversation (or even a debate) with your game-loving friends. Give them a try!
Questions & Answers
Question: I want to play a game online with my six-year-old kid, but I want us to play together vs other. As in a turtle game in the 90s as an example. Can you help, please?
Answer: I recommend Mario Kart or Super Smash Brothers, both available on Nintendo Switch. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, you could get Smash 4 or Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, which you can play in person or online.
© 2018 Poppy
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 17, 2018:
Nice one, Hayley! Let me know how it goes.
Hayley Dodwell on December 17, 2018:
Thank you for sharing these questions! My boyfriend loves video games, so I will definitely be trying these questions out on him!
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 14, 2018:
I remember ZeroPronunciation saying about ten years ago that Sonic was dead and it was time to put him to rest. If he thought that back then, I wonder how he feels now!
Jeremy Gill from Louisiana on December 14, 2018:
I didn't read the comments, but I could believe it; video game movies don't have the best reputations. Still, after Sonic's last few lackluster games, maybe a change in media is exactly what he needs!
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 12, 2018:
Great choice! Yeah, I saw something about that! Hasn't it been bombarded with hate already even though the teaser poster has barely been released?
Jeremy Gill from Louisiana on December 12, 2018:
Great article; I'm also a big fan of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. I heard we might actually see him in a feature-length film within the next few years, something to keep our eyes out for.
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 02, 2018:
Hi, Angel. Thank you for commenting. I had a Dreamcast when I was a kid and Sonic Adventure was awesome. I was obsessed with Trickstyle as well even though I wasn't good at it.
(See! These questions can start great conversations!)
Angel Guzman from Joliet, Illinois on December 02, 2018:
Wow that's a lot of questions! Lol, umm I love the Mortal Kombat series, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Brothers, Call of Duty, ect. I hope you have played the Sega Dreamcast. I have like 40 games :)
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 01, 2018:
Hi, Liz! Thank you for your comment. Try asking a friend some of these questions, you might end up hearing about a game you'll like!
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on December 01, 2018:
Yes! 30 years ago games were considered nerdy, now it seems a lot of people, especially young ones, call themselves "gamers."
I liked Call of Duty WWII! That's a very popular series indeed. Thank you for sharing.
Liz Westwood from UK on December 01, 2018:
Although I am not a gamer, I have dabbled in the past and can see that many of these questions could be used with my friends.
George Johnson from San Antonio, TX on December 01, 2018:
It’s amazing how big video games have become. Some colleges are giving out video game scholarships and they’re filling stadiums for tournaments.
In answer to question 43: my favorite video game series is Call of Duty