How to Set Up Diablo for IPX (LAN) Network Play in Windows XP
Recently, I decided to start playing Diablo again. It's definitely an ageless classic, but given how old it is, special steps must be taken to get the game running over a local area network (or LAN for short). I struggled for nearly two hours until I finally found the solution over the Internet. Big thanks to the person who devised this workaround (I forgot his username).
Setting Up the Network
Before you can set up the IPX protocol over your network, you have to actually have a network set up. This involves purchasing an ethernet card for network connections (wireless or not, they both work on the same principle) as well as setting it up so the operating system recognizes it.
This tutorial assumes you are using Windows. If you are using a Mac, then the steps will most likely be different:
- Install your ethernet card. This will prompt Windows to autodetect it.
- If needed, install the drivers that came with the ethernet card.
- Then, go to the Start Menu, click Control Panel, and then find the Network Setup Wizard button.
1. Open the Network Setup Wizard
2. Select Your Computer's Connection Method
3. Give Your Computer a Name and Label
4. Name the Network You Will Be Operating In
5. Apply the Network Settings
1. Open Network Connections
After Setting Up your LAN Network
After this, you will have to set up your network to be able to play Diablo over an IPX protocol setting. By default, you may find that you can see created games, but cannot join them. If you cannot join them, then follow the pics below for details.
2. Go to Properties
3. Enter Properties for the Highlighted Protocol
4. Default Protocol Properties
5. Change the Protocol's Properties
After doing all this, you should be able to connect to computers in your LAN by way of the IPX protocol. This will, thus, allow you to play Diablo with your friends through the network.
If this still doesn't fix your problem, then it may be due to network issues. In any case, if you need more help, don't hesitate to message me.
Until the next time, take care and have fun! ;)