How to Stream Yourself Playing a Game From Your Playstation 4 to YouTube
Game streaming videos, sometimes called "Let's Plays", are videos usually found on YouTube or Twitch where people record themselves playing a video game, sometimes accompanied with audio of the player speaking and a video of the player.
Let's Plays are often used as walkthroughs, to display live gameplay of a new title, or sometimes purely for entertainment. Many YouTube users such as PewDiePie and Smosh have found fans via streaming and even made money from it. It's a 21st-century form of performing that has been proven very popular.
If you own a Playstation 4, you might have considered trying to film your own Let's Play. It's actually very easy to do; you don't have to be a technology master or spend tons of money on equipment. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to stream a game onto Twitch, Dailymotion, or YouTube from your console.
What You'll Need
To stream your game, you'll need:
- A Playstation 4 and the game you'd like to stream
- A strong internet connection
- A microphone or headset
- A YouTube/Twitch account
This guide is for audio only, but it is also possible to film yourself using a webcam and upload the video, too.
I recommend the Magigaga headset as it's affordable, really easy to use, and also compatible with your PC. It's perfect for those just starting out.
Connecting Your Accounts
First of all, you'll need to connect your accounts to your Playstation account. Also connect your social media such as Facebook and Twitter if you'd like to post on there automatically whenever you're live streaming.
To connect your accounts, log into your Playstation account as normal.
- Press the SHARE button on your controller
- Select Sharing and Broadcasting Settings
- Select Link with Other Services
- Follow the instructions to connect your YouTube and whatever else you'd like to connect
Now your accounts are ready to broadcast your stream!
Setting Up Your Equipment
Still on the SHARE menu, select Broadcast settings.
- Go to Audio Sharing Settings and decide whether you'd like to share audio from the headset or webcam. Deselect this for now, since the video will record the game's audio and your microphone anyway
- Check the box next to "Include Microphone Audio in Broadcasts" if you'd like to record your voice during streaming
- If you're recording in a party, check the box "Share Party Audio". However, if you're doing this on your own, deselect it for now
- Exit this menu and you'll see the option to "Display Message to Spectators and Spectators' Comments". Deselect this for now if you're just starting up. Chances are you don't have many fans yet, and if you check this box then it displays how many people are watching. It's a bit embarrassing if it's on zero.
Make sure your headset or microphone is plugged into your controller. Now you're ready to go!
Broadcasting Your Gameplay
Start up the game as usual. At the start menu or the beginning of the game, you can start streaming.
- When you're in the game, press the Playstation button in the middle of the controller
- Select Broadcast
- Choose either Twitch, YouTube, or Dailymotion. YouTube is recommended, but choose whichever one you prefer
- You'll have the option to name the video, edit the Tweet or Facebook comment that will be posted, and add a description. When you're happy with it, select Start Broadcasting
You'll now be live!
What kind of video are you hoping to stream?
Ending the Broadcast
To end the Broadcast, press the Playstation button and select Stop Broadcasting. Your video clip will still be on YouTube with the same link as before.
Although this is the easiest way to upload Let's Plays to YouTube, there are several disadvantages. You can't change or edit the video you upload, and if your internet connection isn't strong, there's a chance the video quality won't be good. There are plenty of other ways to show off your skills on YouTube, but this method is the easiest and most affordable option.
Streaming your games is really fun and can boost your confidence as you're effectively performing in front of an audience. There is also a chance that you'll be "discovered" and get some fans who enjoy watching you play! It's easy for anyone with internet to easily upload themselves onto YouTube, so why not give it a try?
Questions & Answers
Can you delete your livestream on either Twitch or Youtube?
You can’t delete your Twitch stream as it’s only live while you’re recording it, but you can delete your YouTube video from your YouTube account.