Troubleshoot Netflix Problems on Wii
Netflix "Your Connection Has Slowed" Error Message
If you're receiving this error message, or your video is blurry or choppy, there are some things you can try to troubleshoot:
- Make sure that no one else is connecting wireless devices to your wireless router. This is often the problem if your wireless router is not password protected. Someone connected to your wireless router without your permission could be pulling large amounts of data that could be drastically reducing the amount of bandwidth available for streaming Netflix content on your Nintendo Wii.
- If other devices in your house are connected to your Internet connection downloading large amounts of data, this will also limit the amount of bandwidth available for streaming Netflix content on your Nintendo Wii.
- Open your web browser and navigate to Speedtest.net and click "Begin Test." Wait while the program tests the speed of your wireless connection. After the test is done, the results of the test will be displayed. If your Download Speed is less than 1 megabyte per second (Mbps), Netflix will be prone to experiencing problems with blurriness, pixelation, and constantly stopping to buffer. If you think you should be receiving better bandwidth speeds, contact your Internet service provider. Alternatively, if you're in a lower-bandwidth plan, consider contacting your ISP about upgrading to a higher-bandwidth plan.
- Your Nintendo Wii may not be not be picking up a strong signal from your wireless router. Try moving your Nintendo Wii closer to your wireless router to see if that reduces the problems you're experiencing with Netflix. If the walls in your house are thick and there are multiple walls between the Nintendo Wii and the wireless router, this can also reduce the strength of the signal.
- Remove any electrical device that sends or receives a signal, such as a radio or cell phone, from near the wireless router or the Nintendo Wii. These devices can interfere with the wireless router's ability to send a signal and the Nintendo Wii's ability to receive one, which affect the ability of the Wii to stream Netflix content. Also, ensure there are no large metal objects, such as filing cabinets, between the two devices, as metal objects can also interfere with the signal. High-power devices such as power tools or lamps can also interfere with the transmission of a signal between the two devices.
- Adjust your wireless router's broadcasting channel. Because most wireless routers broadcast their signal on channel 6, try switching the channel the router is broadcasting on to 1 or 11. You can adjust the settings on your wireless router using the software that came with your router, which should be installed on your computer.
How to Delete Videos from Netflix History
Error Message: "This Title Is Temporarily Unavailable While We Improve the Media Quality"
This error message appears on the screen when Netflix is working on the quality of that particular title. This is part of their routine maintenance process, and it generally takes 24 hours to improve each title. However, it can take longer. If you've received the error for more than 24 hours, contact Netflix to inquire about the projected time it will take to fix the problem.
How many hours per week do you play Nintendo Wii?
© 2011 Max Dalton