How to Remove Steam Games (Uninstall Guide)
After playing games on Steam for a few years and going through a number of seasonal video game sales, I've collected quite a few games.
Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have a ton of space (150 GB hard drive.) I'm constantly swapping out (uninstalling) games so I have space for the latest and great games.
That's what I love about Steam, though, I never lose the games I buy since they're tied to my account.
This step-by-step guide will show you how to uninstall Steam games so you can save space, get rid of a horrible game (I'll admit, they're not all awesome games), or just get rid of it regardless of your reasons!
Note: If you just don't want to use Steam anymore, I recommend completely uninstalling Steam instead of removing individual games.
Let's get started!
Uninstalling Steam Games
There are two ways to uninstall a game from Steam. You can do it through "Add or Remove Programs" or through Steam. I recommend the latter because if you uninstall through "Add or Remove" programs, it'll open Steam anyway. To get started, open Steam and login.
- Click the "Library" tab at the top of the screen.
- On the left hand side of the screen there will be a listing of all the games tied to your Steam account. Select the game you would like to uninstall.
- Right click the game and select "Delete Local Content..."
- A confirmation box will pop up. Click the "Delete" button. Voilà! Your game will start uninstalling (it might take a bit for it to be completely removed.)
You might notice that after you uninstall a game that it's not removed from the list in the left pane. This is actually a good thing (don't worry, it has been removed), which brings us to the next topic: reinstalling games.
How to Reinstall Steam Games
What I love most about Steam is that I don't have to keep track of any disks or anything, I just have to remember my username and password. If I don't want to play a game, I can just uninstall it. If I decide later that I want to play it, I still have it... I don't have to pay for it again.
So how do you reinstall a game in Steam? Easy!
- In your "Library" tab, in the left pane (the game list), select the game you would like to install.
- Once you select a game, the middle pane will be populated with information about the game. Here, under the title of the game, will be a button that says "Install." Click it.
- A dialog box will pop-up telling you (approximately) how long it will take the game to download. Click "next."
- The next screen will give you some options regarding icons. Select whichever options you'd like and click "next." The game will now download and install.