How to Delete Steam Games From Your Computer: Complete Uninstall Guide
After playing games on Steam for a few years and going through a number of seasonal video game sales, I've collected quite a few games.
Unfortunately, my computer doesn't have a ton of space (150 GB hard drive.) I'm constantly swapping out (uninstalling) games so I have space for the latest and great games.
That's what I love about Steam, though, I never lose the games I buy since they're permanently tied to my account.
This step-by-step guide will show you how to uninstall Steam games so you can save space on your computer, get rid of a horrible game (I'll admit, they're not all awesome games), or just get rid of it regardless of your reasons!
Note: If you just don't want to use Steam anymore, I recommend completely uninstalling Steam instead of removing individual games.
Alright, let's get started!
Uninstalling Steam Games
There are two ways to uninstall a game from Steam. You can do it through "Add or Remove Programs" or by using Steam's uninstaller. I recommend the latter because if you uninstall through "Add or Remove" programs since it'll open Steam anyway. You will have to know your Steam password, so make sure you have it handy before moving ahead. To get started, open Steam and log in.
- Click the "Library" tab at the top of the screen.
- On the left-hand side of the screen, there will be a listing of all the games tied to your Steam account. Select the game you would like to uninstall.
- Right click the game and select "Delete Local Content..."
- A confirmation box will pop up. Click the "Delete" button. Voilà! Your game will start uninstalling (it might take a bit for it to be completely removed.)
You might notice that after you uninstall a game that it's not removed from the list in the left pane. Instead, it's grayed out. Don't worry, the game has been removed and the game having been left on the list is a good thing, I promise. This brings us to the next topic: reinstalling games.
How to Reinstall Steam Games
What I love most about Steam is that I don't have to keep track of any disks or anything, I just have to remember my username and password. If I don't want to play a game, I can just uninstall it. If I decide later that I want to play it, I still have it... I don't have to pay for it again.
So how do you reinstall a game in Steam? Easy!
- In your "Library" tab, in the left pane (the game list), select the game you would like to install.
- Once you select a game, the middle pane will be populated with information about the game. Here, under the title of the game, will be a button that says "Install." Click it.
- A dialog box will pop-up telling you (approximately) how long it will take the game to download. Click "next."
- The next screen will give you some options regarding icons. Select whichever options you'd like and click "next." The game will now download and install.
© 2012 Melanie Shebel