How to Stop Your Xbox 360 From Freezing
There are a lot of great things about the Xbox 360, however there is one universal problem that almost everyone experiences at one point or another: freezing. Yes this is one problem that can be very aggravating when you’re in the midst of a battle or nearing the finish line to that all important race. Lucky for you there are some ways to possibly fix your Xbox 360.
Below you can find some helpful pointers that may help solve your freezing dilemma.
- The first thing and probably most obvious thing to do is to check the back of the disc. If there are any scratches, smudges or any marks of any kind on the disc, this could be the cause of your problem. Simply take a soft cloth and wipe from the center of the disc outwards. Re-insert the disc into the console and see if that solved the problem.
- If your game continues to freeze in the same spot there could be an error/glitch on the disc. Bringing back the game to the store from which it was bought or sending it back to the publisher explaining the problem would probably be your best option.
- Another simple problem could be that your Xbox is over heating. This happens to many people because they believe that even though they can hear the fan running that it is sufficient, but that’s not always the case. It all depends on not only how long you use the console for but also the environment in which the console is placed.
If your Xbox is placed in a cabinet, near a heater, or surrounded by other heat sources it could not be getting proper ventilation. Try disconnecting the Xbox and moving it to an open shelf or at least in an area that is open. Putting it on a soft surface such as a couch or bed is not recommended because it could block some of the vents.
If your Xbox is in a properly ventilated area but still overheats due to prolonged use, you could go out and buy an external fan that hooks right onto your console.
Another possibility would be that your Xbox cache or your save game file has been corrupted. Cleaning out your cache could help (note that this is safe. It will not delete any of your game saves, profiles, demos or videos or anything else you have saved on your Xbox. It will however delete your game automatic updates. These will have to be re-downloaded after the process is complete). To do this, follow these steps:
a. Move to the System section of the Xbox Dashboard.
b. Select Memory, and then press the A button.
c. Highlight a storage device.
d. Press the Y button to view the Device Options screen.
e. While you view the Device Options screen, enter this sequence of commands on the controller:
- i) Press the X button.
- ii) Press the X button.
- iii) Press the left bumper.
- iv) Press the right bumper.
- v) Press the X button.
- vi) Press the X button.
After you enter the correct sequence, you will receive the following message:
This will perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices. Do you want to continue? Yes No
f. Select Yes, and then press the A button.”
Not only can your cache become corrupted but your hard drive its self can as well. Now if this is the case it is not the end of the world, it can be fixed. First you need to find out if it actually is the hard drive that is corrupted.
Try removing the hard drive while the console is switched off and leave it out for a few days. Continue to play games during that time and if it stops freezing then you’ve found your problem and your hard drive needs to be formatted.
(NOTE: Before proceeding with the next step it is recommended that you transfer all your data to a memory unit or you will lose most if not all of your save games, demos, music, etc…)
To format your hard drive simply insert the hard drive while the console is off and go into the system menu. You will find formatting options there.
Hopefully the above steps have helped you to fix your Xbox 360. If for some reason you’ve done the above steps and you still have problems, try doing some more searching.
Whatever you do decide to do, under no circumstances should you open up your Xbox. Doing so will void your warranty!!