"King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Online" Tips and Strategy Guide
"King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Online" Tips for Free Players
This KOF 98 UM online beginner's guide aims to help new free players (players who are not willing to spend real money on the game to progress) to maximize their in-game currency benefits to unlock more fighters faster and assemble your desired team.
Even though this guide was made thinking on free players, I am sure every new player will benefit from the tips below.
1. Get Your Free Diamonds Every Day
As a "free to play" player, Kof98 ultimate match online offers you several sources to get diamonds for free, diamonds are the most valuable currency in the game, which you can buy with real money. These are the daily activities you must complete to get as many diamonds as possible in the game.
- "Check-in" and "total check-in pack" rewards both include diamonds, so make sure to log in every day to get a nice amount of diamonds per month.
- The arena will reward you with diamonds every day according to your rank, the better the rank, the better the rewards, this means you will need to assemble a decent team fast, to get those daily diamonds sooner. Below I will recommend you some of the best fighters for beginners and the easiest to unlock. (you can claim the diamonds in your email)
- The daily combo reward is 50 diamonds, you will have to execute a specific combo to earn this reward, ask for it to the leader of your club or you can also ask in the world chat window, people are always willing to tell (you can claim the reward in your email).
- Join the club battle every day, no matter if your team doesn't perform very well, you still receive 20 diamonds as a reward (check your Email to claim).
- Join the clone battle every day and complete the three stages for the chance to get up to 30 diamonds.
- Billy stick (club feature) is a mini-game that will grant you some diamonds according to your performance, at the beginning you most likely won't get too many, but once you reach level 62 you will unlock the "skip to stage 20" feature making so much easier to reach the max amount of diamonds you can get per day in this mini-game which is 60.
- Keep tracking the official calendar events, since some of them give away diamonds and there are other important promotions you should consider
2. Do Not Spend Any Diamonds
Diamonds are probably the most important currency in KOF98 UM Online, they can be purchased with real money, and they can also be acquired by free players through the game without spending a cent but you will have to be more patient and careful with your diamond management as the game will tempt you to spend them many times through the day.
There are obviously, some exceptions to this rule, such as limited events or sales where spending diamonds is really worth it. I will name them in the tips below.
So, where to spend diamonds?
This is really a subjective topic, besides the first x10 draw to get a 4 star fighter, which is a recommended invest, it really depends on your play style, some people may be looking for specific fighters since they are their favorite characters from the King of Fighters universe, some others won't care about that at all and they just want to get the strongest fighters to be super competitive, both are valid reasons to play.
So let's say you are one of the first group and there's a sale where you can buy your favorite fighter for a set amount of diamonds, then go for it!. The lucky draw event is too risky in my opinion since you can spend literally thousands of diamonds and that does not guarantee you get the desired fighter, I rather invest in a safe bet. If you want to try your luck in this event, I suggest you have at least 18000 diamonds to invest in.
If you are one of the second group, save a lot of diamonds so you can get your first aptitude 14 fighter as soon as possible from the "time-limited draw chest, "I will explain this event below.
Time-limited draw event
This is probably the most anticipated event in the game, and for a very good reason, as I mentioned before, in this event you can get an attitude 14 or 15 fighter, commonly known as "bosses."
This is pretty much an auction, where the first 30 people who invest the most diamonds buying chests during the event will get the fighter, you can either buy one chest for 80 diamonds or 10 for 680, it is also worth to mention that with every chest you open there is a small chance to obtain said fighter, and for every set amount of diamonds you spent you will get a free chest that contains fragments for the featured fighter and a lot of other nice rewards like tomes and badges.
Of course, winning is not going to be easy, and if you are interested in participating in this event you need to save tons of diamonds, the problem is, it is impossible to predict the number of diamonds that will guarantee you the fighter, for instance, in my case, I spent around 18k diamonds, I was ranked 18 and got the fighter, some other people in my server got it for much less than that. If I had to set a safe amount I would say 23k diamonds, just because that's what you require to open the last free chest that grants fragments from the featured fighter.
If you don't get the boss in your first try, don't worry, wait for the next auction of the same fighter and eventually you will get it, either you win the auction or you get enough fragments, just keep in mind you will have to be very patient and wait months in this process. There are only 2 actions for each fighter; then you can buy boss fragments in some events.
3. Save Diamonds for the Slot Machine Event (One Arm Bandit)
Saving diamonds for the "One Arm Bandit" event is always a good idea to multiply your diamonds, this is definitely the best event for free and VIP players, It happens once a month, free players get five pulls and VIP 5 or more get up to 3 more pulls, but every pull cost a set amount of diamonds, and you will get a random amount higher than the cost of the pull within a set limit, the cost each consecutive pull is more expensive but the reward is greater, below you can see the cost of each pull and the limit of the reward;
Most available: 177
Most available: 577
Most available: 1677
Most available: 4377
Most available: 7777
6th pull: (you need to be vip 5 to continue here)
Most available: 17777
Most available: 37777
Most available: 67777
Remember to keep tracking the events in the official Kof 98 um ol page to know when the slot machine event comes.
4. Join an Active Club
Joining a club will unlock the club store and more features that will grant you club coins and free diamonds every day and the possibility to buy fighter fragments.
The better the club you join is ranked, the higher the rewards you gain, so make sure you join an active club and also be active yourself by completing the daily club activities, like the club battle, the daily gold donation and the club challenge among others. The faster you join a good club, the sooner you will start to stack the club currency.
5. Recommended Fighters for Beginners
In order to progress through the main and elite campaign you need to assemble a decent team early on, this will also help to position yourself in a better rank in the Arena which will grant you more Diamonds per day.
The next fighters are easy to obtain and are probably the best low-rank fighters:
- Kyo - (DPS) You will get him for free at the start of the game along with other fighters, but Kyo Kusanagi is a strong aptitude 13 damage fighter that is worth to keep on your team. Note: you will also receive Athena, a healer fighter that will help you a lot in the beginning of the game, keep her until you get Kensou to replace her. She can be used as a decent frontline.
- Kensou - (Gank) There is no doubt he is the best aptitude 12, half tank and half healer, he belongs to the frontline. How to unlock: You can buy his fragments from the trial store (5 frags x 900 trial coins), two nodes in the elite campaign; Chapter 4-2 and Chapter 10-2.
- Vice - Damage dealer and buff for your DPS fighters, her ultimate ability aims to the lower health of your enemy, very useful in many situations. How to unlock: You can buy her fragments from the honor store (5 frags x 900 honor coins), one node in the elite campaign; Chapter 6-2.
- Mature - (DPS) Damage dealer and buff for you rear line, her ultimate skill aims to the higher health enemy and deals extra damage to enemies with 50% hp plus, great to get rid of enemy tanks. How to unlock: You can buy her fragments from the honor store (5 frags x 900 honor coins), one node in the elite campaign; Chapter 7-2.
- Ryo - The easiest tank to improve and also a good one, strongly recommended having at least one tank in your team. How to unlock: You can buy his fragments from the honor store (5 frags x 900 honor coins), two nodes in the eElite campaign; Chapter 4-4 and Chapter 9-5.
- King - Damage dealer who can silence enemies with her ultimate and basic skill, deals extra damage to gank fighters. How to unlock: You can buy her Fragments from the club store (5 frags x 900 club coins), two nodes in the elite campaign; Chapter 3-3 and Chapter 13-4.
Note: Fragments of Orochi Shermie are also available to buy from the club store (5 frags for 1500 club coins), if you are patient enough and willing to wait a few months in order to get her, then you can skip King and go for Shermie, since she is one of the strongest fighters you can acquire as a free to play (aptitude 13).
Take into account I am not suggesting you must assemble this exact team in order to progress into the game. You can create your own initial team and success either way but consider to get at some of the fighters I recommend, and you will succeed faster.
6. Be Patient and Enjoy the Game
Following the simple tips of this Kof 98 UM OL guide guarantees faster progress in the game, but let's be honest, even so, you will have to be very patient, this kind of mobile games are designed to take some time to progress, unless you decide to pay a good amount of money, if you are not willing to invest, keep this in mind and better enjoy the game.
I hope this guide is useful for you and feel free to ask me anything about the game in the comment section below.
Questions & Answers
© 2018 Alberto Zumaya