10 Tips and Tricks for Marvel: Contest of Champions
Marvel: Contest of Champions is a gesture-based mobile fighting game released for the Android and iOS platforms.
In this game, you are the summoner, fighting in a tournament hosted by The Collector. You represent Earth in a battle against Kang the Conqueror, fighting (and collecting) legendary superheroes and super villains.
The game has a story mode and a PvP battle arena where you can fight players. Daily events and special arena battles will give you a chance to grab bonus rewards and a rare hero or two. Follow these ten tips, hints and tricks if you are hungry for bonus rewards and want an edge in fighting. Also, check out the video!
Video: Top 5 Tips for Contest of Champions Beginners
Is Marvel: Contest of Champions the Best Mobile Fighting Game?See results without voting
1. Mix Light, Medium and Heavy Attacks
Winning fights can be easy if you master the basic moves. Once you get them down, you can later work on a perfect combo by going after your opponent with a mix of dashes, dodges, and light and medium hits.
The right combination of light and medium attacks can create a perfect combo. For light attacks, tap on the right side of the game screen. Next, tap right multiple times to get a string of hits. For a medium attack, just swipe right. Once you can do each move separately, practice combining light and medium attacks to create a perfect combo.
- To get your basic moves right, hold your tablet PC with both hands. This will help you resist attacks, hit opponents, and dodge and dash comfortably.
- You can practice attacks in the 1 vs. 1 Quick Match in the Versus screen with another human opponent. You can also replay an already explored quest chapter in the story mode to sharpen your swipe-and-tap fighting skills.
- To block incoming hits, tap on your fighter and hold. Light and medium hits from the opponents will be blocked and your champion will take less damage than normal.
- When your opponent is blocking, tap on him/her and hold for a few seconds for a Heavy Attack. This might break his block.
2. Tips to Defeat Opponents in the Battle Arena
My method of fighting is to corner my opponents. My preferred attack is to right swipe for a medium hit, following it up with a series of taps to get a combo or vice versa.
When the special attack bar fills up, I tap on the special attack icon to use it, but only when my opponent gets a bit defensive or when I have finished attacking him with light and medium hits.
- Tapping and holding right to unleash the heavy attack may give your opponent enough time to hit back, so only use it when you have cornered your opponent.
- You may have your own fight tactics, but remember that enemies with high power index will leave no stone unturned while attacking your champion. If you are slow or can’t remember your basic moves, then it will only be a few seconds before you're knocked out of the arena.
- Be quick and try to attack first by tapping or swiping right soon after the run animation is complete. You may choose to tap or swipe first if you don't want to give your opponent any time to think. I think the best way to attack is to tap to unsettle your opponent.
- When playing the quest mode, inspect the map to know your opponents. Make sure you choose that path that leads to an opponent whose power index is lower than your champion’s power index. You can come back later to defeat the powerful ones, and you will get rewards for defeating them in the second attempt.
3. Special Attacks to the Rescue!
The special attack button can be a valuable resource. As you're fighting a super hero or villain, keep an eye on the special attack button on the lower-left corner of the screen.
The special attack power meter fills up as you fight. Once the power meter fills up completely, tap on the button to inflict a devastating attack on your opponent.
- Save special attacks for key battle moments. For example, you should use it when your opponent gets defensive or after you have dealt a string of light hits.
- To use the second or third special attack of a 2, 3 or 4-tiered hero, wait for the two-bar or three-bar meter to fill up completely. You may also choose to use a special attack once the first bar fills up in case you are in a hurry or are cornered by the opponent.
- You can also tap on the Special Attack button even if the second or third bar is half-filled. Doing so will launch the first or second attack respectively. The half-filled bar won’t get wasted and will be added to the next power meter refill.
4. Use Dodges and Dashes to Get an Edge in Battle
Besides light, medium and heavy attacks, you can use the dodges and dashes to confuse your opponent. To dodge, swipe left. Dodging can help you avoid a string of hits. You can also use this technique if you are getting too close to your opponent and want to avoid a counter hit.
The dash technique lets you rush your opponent. To dash, swipe right. After dashing, tap or swipe right to unleash a string of hits to corner your enemy.
- Dodging is perfect if the enemy is too close, or if you sense an incoming medium or heavy attack.
- Make sure there is some space between you and your opponent so you can make the most of the dash technique.
5. Champion Special Abilities: What Are They?
Each hero has some special abilities, which include Armor Breaks, Nullify and Bleed. To know what ability your champion has, go to the champion screen, tap on the hero profile and press “Info." Special abilities are shown at the left side of the champion profile screen.
Special abilities show up for a few seconds and are used to react to your opponent’s hits and abilities. See the table below to learn more about what the abilities do.
- Abilities such as Regeneration and Bleed become more powerful when you level-up your champion.
- Normally, a champion will take some damage while blocking incoming attacks. But there are some champions that have the ability to block without any damage to their health.
Ignores armor and resistances
Easily remove opponent’s special ability and armor up
Remove armor for a few seconds, making it easy to inflict max damage on your opponent
Regenerates health after champion is hit
6. Go to the Crystal Vault to Get Free Crystals
The Vault has free crystals for players, which include Daily Crystals that let you get a new crystal every day. After purchasing or claiming a free crystal, tap, hold and drag it to the podium. Tap to break the crystal to unveil a new hero. You may obtain a two- or three-star hero from the Daily Crystal.
You can also get a free crystal every four hours, which will grant you energy, health, or revive potions for your champions or your team.
Premium Hero Crystals aren’t free. They can be bought for Units. The Premium Hero Crystal guarantees 2-4 star heroes.
- There is no guarantee that you will get a 4-star hero in the first attempt when purchasing a Premium Hero Crystal. You may have to spend 500 or more units to get 5-10 attempts at a 4-star Marvel hero.
- Level-up (Summoner Level-Ups) or complete quests to earn units.
7. Class Bonuses Boost Attack Power (Updated)
In Marvel: Contest of Champions, Class Bonuses give your champion bonus attack power. Each champion class is stronger or weaker than the opponent class. Class advantages can be seen in the “vs” screen that appears before a fight.
There are six Champion Classes:
To know which class is stronger than the other, see the table below.
You can choose another hero by swiping if you see that your opponent enjoys a class bonus against your champion. You may also swipe to switch to another champion if you want to see which champion in your team enjoys a class bonus against the enemy.
8. Upgrade Heroes and Get More Info on the Champions Screen
Get more information about a hero’s class, abilities and stats by tapping on the Champions button. Accessing the Champions screen will also let you upgrade and sell your heroes.
- Tap on a hero’s profile, and then tap on Info to get a list of special attacks, special abilities, tier, rank, level synergy bonuses and a mini-bio.
- To upgrade your hero via the Champions screen, tap on his profile and press upgrade. Place ISO-8 on the empty slots. You will need gold to complete the upgrade procedure. Gold can be earned after each win as well as after quest completion and summoner level-up. ISO-8 can be earned by completing quests, leveling-up and emerging victorious in battle.
- Ranking-up a 1 or 2-star champion unlocks additional special attacks.
- Catalysts can be used to rank-up Max level champions on the Champions screen. You can earn catalysts by completing Special Events, which are limited-time events that grant plenty of rewards. Tap on Quests > Special Events and complete the Daily event to earn catalysts.
- Complete the path that leads to opponents having higher index value to increase your chance of earning catalysts and 3-star chests.
- Selling a champion can earn you gold and ISO-8. Be careful not to sell high-tiered (2/3 star heroes) or leveled-up heroes.
- You can access Stash via the Champion’s screen. To claim gifts and extra inventory items go to the Stash menu, which is located at the top-right corner of the Champions screen. When your inventory is full, items will be stored there. Make sure you collect them before they expire.
9. Earn Exclusive Rewards in the Multiverse Arena
Multiverse Arenas are PvP arenas that give you an opportunity to battle random players from around the world. Winning a PvP arena battle grants special rewards like crystal, gold, or even a high-ranked hero. Tap on the Versus button to access the Multiverse Arenas.
- You can opt for a 1 vs. 1 QuickMatch (great for free crystals, rewards and fight practice) against a random player or Special Arena Fights where you will need to fulfill certain conditions to enter the arena. For example, you might need a Champion rank to enter arena fights. Also, you will need a 3 and a 4-ranked champion to enter the 3 vs. 3 multiverse arena.
- Arena fights also give players an opportunity to earn a high-ranked champion. Only a select few can get earn it if they rank highly in the arena.
10. Use Crystals and Battle Chips to Earn New Characters
You can maximize your potential by making sure you have the best characters possible.
- Visit the Crystal Vault and tap on Daily Crystal to claim an Amber crystal. You will get a sure-shot 1-star champion, but there is also a chance of getting a 2-star champion. A 3-star character is even more rare.
- Use battle chips to purchase exclusive crystals and unlock special PvP arenas. You may get a rare 4-star Punisher for 2000 battle chips via the Arena Crystal in the Vault.
- Earn battle chips by playing versus battles in multiverse arenas and use the chips to purchase Arena Crystals to unlock rare heroes.
- You may be able to earn 1, 2, or 3 star champions using the Daily Crystal. You're guaranteed a 2, 3 or 4-star champion with Premium crystals, which can be purchased using units.
- Rare heroes can also be unlocked by playing the 3 vs. 3 Arena challenge in Versus > Multiverse Arenas.
Champions List and Their Star Rating
A hero or a villain is available in 1-tier, 2-tier, 3-tier and 4-tier variants. This is also called one-star, two-star, etc. High-tier heroes are more powerful than low-tier heroes. For example, a one-tier Spiderman will have only two special attacks and low attributes compared to a 2-tier Spiderman.
Here’s a list of super heroes and super villains and their tiers. Champions are grouped according to their star ratings or tier. For example: Characters available in all 4 tiers are grouped in 1-Star to 4-Star category, whereas only one-tier characters are grouped separately.
Note: Hulk is available in 1, 2 and 4-star versions.
Tier-1 to Tier-4
Tier-2 to Tier-4
Tier-2 to Tier-3
Tier-1 to Tier-2
Only Tier-2 Heroes
Only Tier-1 Heroes
Black Panther, Gamora
Wolverine, Deadpool, Rhino
Cyclops, Drax, Iron Man
Black Bolt, Thor, Hawkeye
Storm, Iron Fist, Ronan
Winter Soldier, Abomination
Additional Tips and Tricks
- Summoner level-ups not only grant rewards like energy and gold, but they also increase the Quest Energy Limit and Upgrade Item Capacity. Complete quests to earn more XP, which can be used to raise your summoner level.
- In story mode, the battleverse map has branching paths. Some paths that lead to a bonus reward or a great challenge will be blocked by gates. A locked gate will have a picture of the champion and it can be opened only if that champion is in your team.
- Before starting a quest, you will be able to add or remove champions. Tap on the Edit button and drag and drop heroes in the empty slots to your left. To replace a hero on your team with another hero, drag and drop the spare hero onto the current hero of your team. Be sure to have the most powerful champions in your team. Upgrade your heroes regularly and make sure you have 2-3 star heroes in your team. Raise your summoner level to unlock additional slots.
- Use a potion to heal a champion before every fight. Tap on the Heal button. Potions can be collected as rewards when you move across the Battleverse (Quest map). You can also purchase potions by paying units.
- Besides occasional health potions, you will also stumble upon reward chests, which can be opened only after you complete a quest. Later, you can tap on a chest to claim a special reward.
- XP can be earned by winning fights in a quest. The XP earned can be used to raise your summoner level. Summoner level-ups open up new slots to add heroes to your team.
- Tap on the Inventory button to view a list of items you can buy for Units. Energy refills can be purchased for 30 units, whereas a health potion costs 25 units. The number of items purchased will be shown in the “Owned” section.
More by this Author
Some of the most terrifying indie horror games like Slender are known for their innovative gameplay elements. These games give you the same unsettling feeling that you might have experienced when playing the...
There are some decent turn-based strategy games for iPhone and iPad that can give PC TBS games a run for their money. Despite the small screen estate, these titles offer excellent tactical combat.
The best RTS (real-time strategy) games for iPhone and iPad, for example Autumn Dynasty and Line of Defense: Tactics, provide a PC-like game experience.