"GTA Online" helped get me through a hard part of my life. When you spend THAT much time with a game, you can't help but write about it.
The Doomsday Heists
A Christmas present given by Rockstar was a chance to make an exorbitant (supposedly) amount of money through a new set of story based heists. Except to coincide with their previous updates all you have to do is go on the Maze Bank Foreclosure website (through your phone obviously because none of you millennials even bother checking the laptops) and buying a chunk of expensive property. This purple dot that looks like a globe, dotted on "San Andreas" with Clubhouses, Bunkers, Hangers, and Nightclubs is a Facility.
With Facilities come some other shark jumpingly wonderful items such as an Orbital Cannon and a Strike Team (with three levels that all make Merryweather mercs seem like little sissies in comparison), and vehicle space for more overpriced virtual machines that you'll no doubtingly grind these missions in order to afford . . .
The main point of these additional millions spent? Some new Biker/CEO/Naval Officer/Space Marine/Drug Dealer/Merryweather/whatever-the-hell-else-Rockstar-will-add-next Business? Another "lucritive" grind until you fill a plot of land with "insert profit here" until you get it blown up by some pleb in a Hydra/Oppressor/some-new-crap-toy-that-explodes-things during a "insert type of delivery here" mission? Nope it's just there for these new heists which involve some billionaire trying to take over the world with robots, and jetpacks, and some other crazy crap.
Let's just get to the point here before I go any further off topic with my snarky ranting. These new heists, these . . . Doomsday Heists, if you will (yeah I just did that) add a new layer to the money making onion. There are Prep Missions that are required before Set-Up Missions, which of course lead to the main Heist. See what's going on here? No? Don't worry I'll break it down later.
Luckily four players are an option this time, and this article was written with two in mind, but I’d recommend a third wheel could come in handy (unlike that Morgan guy’s idea). I’ll give you an idea if a Prep Mission should just be skipped by buying what you need (oh yeah you can do that). And, not to start a sentence with a conjunction, advise you on whether those nifty new Special Ammos from the Gun Running DLC will come in handy (although they almost ALWAYS do).
- Roles: Unlike normal Heists this doesn't apply that much. I'll let you know both here, and in the walkthrough, what each player will be doing.
- Recommended Weapons: The obvious tool for taking on enemies. Your opinions may vary on what you think is effective, but here I'll suggest what worked for me and Nightro13 on each mission.
- Recommended Vehicles: Everyone has a different Facility location, some times making for a long drive. When you get to your destination some times you will have to fight a large group of enemies. In this section I'll tell you the best Personal Vehicle to choose. Don't own what I recommend? Well, that's not my problem . . .
- Payout: The reason your doing this, preferably sober for the sake of your partner. Keep in mind that the Heist Leader doesn't get paid for Set-ups. So don't whine when they take a bigger cut before the Heist.
- Best Difficulty: You can only select Normal and Hard for Doomsday Heists. Normal equals you can afford one stupid death. Hard mode pays more but you get no second chances. Thank God for checkpoints.
Keep in mind that the following walkthroughs are written with two players in mind. If you follow these strategies you won't need a full team.
Other Ways To Make Money In "GTA Online"
- How to Make Money in "Grand Theft Auto Online"
- Solo Missions Reference Guide
- Solo Survival
- How To Beat Heists In "GTA Online"
- How to Complete the Diamond Casino Heists in "GTA Online"
Table of Contents
Act 1: The Data Breaches
Prep: Paramedic Equipment
Ok To Do In A Public Lobby: Sure it's very easy.
Go outside of your Facility and call 911 on the in-game phone (these days you need to clarify that). Select Paramedic from the menu and steal their ambulance. Yep, that's right! You don't even need the marked Ambulance. Just drive it into your Facility.
- Roles: Paramedic, Recovery
- Recommended Weapons: Mk 2 Pistol w/Suppressor and Hollowpoints, Mk 2 SMG w/Hollowpoints (<Paramedic) Any Assault Rifle (Mk2 or vanilla), Grenade Launcher (<Recovery)
- Recommended Vehicles: You're stuck with the Ambulance (<Paramedic), bring something fast, but something you can take cover behind (<Recovery)
- Payout: $32,000
- Best Difficulty: Hard
Read More From Levelskip
Drive to the morgue and KEEP YOUR WEAPONS HOLSTERED (just in case you don't pay attention to in-game dialogue). Once you search the bodies you can actually stealth your way to the laptop, if you're quick. Regardless of how successful your Sam Fisher skills are, the alarm will sound when downloading the files. As you shoot your way out of the morgue take cover at key spots (see screenshot for example) to maximize your success of not freaking dying. Don't go outside until Recovery is in position.
When you get to the location the Savage lands at take cover behind your vehicle, or one the cement barriers, and blow up any parked Grangers you see with your Grenade Launcher. Clean up any stragglers to steal the Intel and take the Savage. Fly to the morgue and wait for the Paramedic. You will get a Wanted Level, but you don't have to hover around all day nuking police cars. Just land, pick up your partner, and fly off to lose the heat.
Ok To Do In A Public Lobby: Sure
Just spend the $94,500 to buy this Prep Mission. I mean the main issue here is that you need to steal FOUR Deluxos when you and your buddy equal TWO people. That right there puts a hair across my ass, but the fact that you have to drive back and forth four times (or twice if your partner pulls their weight) is what really makes this not worth the time.
- Roles: None
- Recommended Weapons: The Deluxos have all the firepower you'll need.
- Recommended Vehicles: Something fast depending on the Facility's location.
- Payout: $32,000
- Difficulty: Hard (it's not as bad you think)
Drive to the Deluxos and go after the first targets. Encase your tunnel vision kicks in early, and you didn't catch the tutorial, the Hacking App is the same as the Securoserve App with the in-game cellphone. Stay to the front left of the trucks to avoid getting shot as you get the signal. After you get the data use the Missiles to blow up the trucks.
Next head to the water and enter Hover Mode to go after the targeted boats. Use the same app to hack the data, but this time stay at the back right of the boats. The gunman riding passenger will have a harder time hitting you. As you head to intercept the plane use the ramp seawall (see screenshot) near the airport to get you on land faster (you can't activate Flight Mode just yet, otherwise this would be easier).
The plane isn't as fast as you might think. One of you fly interference against the attack helicopters that will show up once you start hacking. Despite what you might think the hacking process is just as long whether it's one guy or the whole team. The amount of cell phones intercepting at once doesn't really matter. Once you're done; blow up the plane and go to the drop off point.
Ok To Do In A Public Lobby: Yes . . .
Fly to Fort Zancudo and go into the Control Tower. To save yourself a LONG climb you can take the elevator to the right of the stairs (I kid you not). The doors won't open unless you walk forward. As you hack the control booth you will get a 4-Star Wanted Level. After the download is complete, shoot the soldiers, and take the elevator back downstairs. You have some time before the Akula lands so there's no need to stress. Fight your way out of Fort Zancudo, once you do your Wanted Level will reduce to two stars. The Akula lands in a random spot each time. Fly to it, shoot the guards, and fly it back to your Facility.
- Roles: None
- Recommended Weapons: Silenced Standard SMGs/Assault Rifles/Sniper Rifles (while being stealthy), Mk2 Combat MG w/Armor Piercing Ammo
- Recommended Vehicles: The Akula Helicopter provided.
- Payout: $25,600
- Difficulty: Normal (the last part can be rough if you're not careful)
This mission is kind of like the "Deliver EMP" Setup with the Humane Labs Raid, except you get a little more leniency if you screw up. However stealth CAN be maintained for most of this mission, the ending is scripted for an alert. Yeah sorry to spoil your Metal Gear Solid fantasy for you, but it IS a good idea to be stealthy for as long as possible.
Once you get down into the Server Farm split up. Each of you have to hack two servers. Stay stealthy for as long as possible, taking out guards with headshots as you go. The alarm IS scripted to go off after you're done hacking the servers, but it can happen earlier if you don't get the hacking mini-game right after a number of tries (it's pretty easy, you just connect the four wires to each of the nodes until you get the right combination). The server will beep more intensely as you screw up, but you have a few chances before the alarm sounds. Don't worry about the guards they can't interrupt the mini-game once you start (thank God). Once you have hacked your servers make your way back to the elevator (one of you can actually take cover in the elevator while you wait for your partner), periodically stopping to clear the immediate area of N.O.O.S.E. agents. Once you're back outside is where it gets scary. Take cover behind the low wall and kill everything that moves. There's gonna be A LOT of guards up here. Shoot and move your way to the left, back to the ladders that will take you back up to the Akula. Clear out as many guards as you can before you make a break for it as they can kill you while you're climbing. You could do the leap frog cover technique here if you really trust your partner's shooting skills. Once in the Akula just fly to the drop off avoiding police helicopters so you can lose your Wanted Level.
Act 1: Heist
- Roles: None
- Recommended Weapons: Mk 2 Assault Rifles (like any of them) w/Armor Piercing Ammo, Mk 2 Combat MG w/Armor Piercing Ammo, Mk 2 Marksman Rifle w/Armor Piercing Ammo, Assault/Heavy/Sweeper Shotgun (situational)
- Recommended Vehicles: Anything Weaponized like the Tampa, Insurgent Pickup, Barrage, etc.
- Payout: $812,500 (Hard Difficulty), which is $406,250 if you split 50/50.
- Difficulty: Hard
Drive to the Satellite Array and blow up every merc you see from the comfort of your Weaponized Vehicle. This isn't the hard part; once you get inside the building these guys can take you down with a couple of shots. Take cover and heal often. Use the front desks as your temporary "base of operations" for that purpose, until you clear out the immediate area of Merryweather. Some of them will be at a distance on the right, as you make your way along the reskinned Facility interior. Use a Marksman Rifle on them (you could also use the Heavy Sniper too, your choice). Once you get to the elbow, with the couches, a lot of guys will come at you. Hunker down and clear them out. This part isn't THAT hard, but you can die easily if you don't approach each gun battle defensively. Once in the area with the stairways switch to Shotguns, the fighting will be more up close. Everything else is pretty easy going from here. Just cover and reheal, don't go over the top with tossed explosives, and watch your six (especially the two guys that rush down the stairs after the garage area) until you get to the gun turrets.
Act 2: The Bogdan Problem
Prep: Riot Van
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Lobby: One of the easier missions, but bring a friend in case some asshat in a Hydra/Deluxo/etc. wants to get cute.
Fly to the location of the robbery (it's random each time). There is almost always a way to flank the officers, past the action, and just hop into the Riot Van. It's a decently armored vehicle so ignore the bullets. Call Lester/Bribe The Authorities/Drive somewhere off-road to Lose The Cops, then drive it back to your Facility.
- Roles: None
- Recommended Weapons: Mk 2 Heavy Sniper w/Thermal Scope and Standard Ammo, Mk 2 Combat MG w/Standard Ammo
- Recommended Vehicles: Doesn't really matter, something quick if your Facility is far away.
- Payout: $28,000
- Difficulty: Normal
Drive to LSIA and go to the marked Hanger. Once inside DO NOT walk forward just yet. See the plane on the right (see first screenshot)? You're going to take cover in THAT nearby alcove. Once you head there the lights will go out, press right on the D-pad to activate your Nightvision Goggles. Take your time in this area, sniping the soldiers that spawn on the ground and above. The Mk 2 Heavy Sniper's Thermal Scope really comes in handy for this part. Once you have cleared out enough mercs head up the stairs (on the same side of the Hanger) and take cover behind the offices. Keep using your Thermal Scoped Sniper Rifle to clear out the room, and your Combat MG for anyone up close. When you've cleared enough space reheal and head upstairs, but not all the way up just yet. You can hit more enemies from here without them getting a good angle on you. Once you feel comfortable go up to the gantries. No reason for both of you to get shot so one person hang back providing cover fire while the other activates the generators. There isn't that many mercenaries up here to worry about, but they can still shoot you down easily at close range. Once the power is restored head back downstairs and hop in the Avenger. You're pretty much home free from here, just stay within the purple square, on your mini-map, to avoid gaining a Wanted Level.
Prep: ULP Intel
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Lobby: Definitely
Make sure you register as a VIP/CEO before you do this one. Spawn your Buzzard Attack Chopper and fly to the location of the house (it's random each time). Killing the guards outside will get you a three-star Wanted Level. Go inside, kill the other goons, grab the bag, and get the hell out of there. You can also call Lester to get rid of the police. Easy, peezy, lemon squeazy.
- Roles: Ground Team, Lookout Team
- Recommended Weapons: Sniper Rifle (the normal one); (Ground Team>) Mk 2 Combat MG w/Standard Ammo; (Lookout Team>) Assault/Heavy Shotgun
- Recommended Vehicles: Doesn't really matter, unless the Facility is far away.
- Payout: $28,000
- Difficulty: Normal
Drive to the Foundry and equip Sniper Rifles near the entrance, this isn't actually a stealth mission but you can drop a couple of the soldiers in the foreground before the ones in the background are alerted start shooting at you. Not much a difference, but from the entrance you can take out most of the soldiers outside before you move into the building.
Go to the entrance on the far right (see first screenshot), not the one the game tells you to go through. When you walk through the door wait a second, a soldier will most likely spawn right in front of you as you enter. From inside this room shoot at the soldier through the doorway on the left (see second screenshot), you can kill a few from here safely. When you're ready run out into the main room and take cover behind the scrap heap on the left (see third screenshot). From here kill the remaining soldiers and make your way up to ULP. Periodically stopping to shoot more responding troops from the safety of cover (also don't forget to reheal along the way). After you rescue ULP cover him until you get outside (if you die in the ensuing gunbattle once OUTSIDE AFTER you have ULP following you you'll spawn by an armored vehicle, don't get angry).
Go in through the entrance on the far left, yeah ignore the objective marker and go in there. Stand at the corner of this "boot room" (see fourth screenshot) and equip a shotgun of your choosing. While the Ground Team rescues ULP, you're still covering them, you're just doing it in safety. Remember once ULP is out of the building getting killed will spawn you near a selection of armored vehicles.
After The Rescue:
(Remember if you died this is a mission checkpoint, don't be afraid to take a dive. Unless you're a masochist playing this on Hard Difficulty). Get into an Insurgent Pickup and head to the drop off. Whoever is the designated shooter on the turret aim for the helicopters first. The ground forces will chase you in Nightsharks (which are easier to blow up than you think).
Prep: Riot Control Van
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Session: Just buy the damn thing.
The Setup Mission for the Riot Van, and it's subsequent Setup Mission, is all the ball pain you need as is. Just pay for the Prep and move on.
Salvage Hard Drives
- Roles: Operators, Salvage
- Recommended Weapons: Assault Rifle (like any of them) w/Armor Piercing Ammo and one with Incendiary Ammo (one with FMJ if you want to take on the armored vehicles), Mk 2 Combat MG w/Standard Ammo, Mk 2 Marksman Rifles w/Armor Piercing Ammo
- Recommended Vehicles: You use the Riot Control Van (God help you)
- Payout: $28,000
- Difficulty: Normal
This missions is really not as stressful as you might think. Yes Lester screaming at you never helps anything, but that aside you're going to be just fine. Really. You can actually take your time (I mean for the most part since you're on a timer) by tackling each burning vehicle/harddrive at a time.
The Riot Control Van (RCV) is pretty well armored and the water cannon is more useful than you might think it is. Sure it won't kill any of the Russian soldiers, but it WILL knock their asses down long enough for your partner to take them out. Obviously your main focus should be putting out the fires, but after THAT is done provide Salvage with some assistance outside of the Van. Lean in the driver's seat to help you avoid gunfire. You also have about three minutes and 30 seconds to put out the fires, at each location, before you fail the mission. Except the number of fires increases with each one (two-five hard drives). Things don't really get tough until the last location at Elysian Island (more on that in a minute).
Most of your action will be outside of the RCV, taking out Russian soldiers and salvaging the hard drives after Operator puts out the fires. If they rush off to do that don't get butt-hurt and rage quit. They're not pulling a "Leroy Jenkins" they are actually making your job easier. Speaking of making things easier, make sure you get in one of the back seats of the RCV, rather than riding shotgun, so that you're not forced to use the secondary water cannon. This is very useful for when enemies pursue you both between burn sites. Obviously water doesn't do to Nightsharks and Insurgents what bullets from your SMG can . . . I shouldn't have to tell you that.
- Stoner Cement Works: Two vehicles to put out and some Russians to shoot, no big deal.
- La Mesa: Three vehicles to put out, kinda spread apart throughout the trainyard, but don't panic this one only SEEMS overwhelming. Operator put out each fire in chronological order, then take cover and help Salvage fight soldiers. Salvage let Operator drive ahead as you collect the hard drives and fight off soldiers. Both of you take your time (kind of) it's not as hellish as . . .
- Cypress Flats: Ok things get a little hectic here. The soldiers will respawn blatantly in the open, and the responding Insurgents are bothersome for Salvage but hunker down and let Operator put out the fires before moving. During that time just keep shooting. Operator that lean in behind the steering wheel feature is very useful here since you're more likely to get shot at this burn site for some reason. Once all of the fires are out cover Salvage with your water cannon. (By the way don't forget you can eat Snacks and put on new sets of Body Armor for the Interaction Menu.)
- Elysian Island: Number one thing to do here is put out the fires going from A to E, screw collecting the hard drives right away, just put out the fires. Drive around to the right side of the bridge on the right side of the area. Both of you get out of the RCV and fight the Russians on foot. Over by Hard Drive E, by the water's edge you can get around the first wall by CAREFULLY walking along the edge of the dock (see first screenshot). Head to the left and jump the wall on the right after this (see second screenshot). This will allow you to flank around the area without having to fight through (and possibly getting killed by) the waves of Russian troops. Take cover by the C Van/wreckage. Use Mk 2 Marksman Rifles to cover Salvage as they recover the hard drives. Since this area is wide open you can avoid gunfire more easily, but still take cover and reheal whenever possible.
As for the rest of the mission you know what to do. It's cake after that last part!
Prep 1: Strombergs
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Lobby: Just buy the damn things, it's like the Deluxos mission from Act 1.
Prep 2: Torpedo ECU
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Lobby: Sure, a little annoying, but doable.
It's best to start this Prep as a VIP/CEO in order to spawn a Buzzard. It will make this Prep go much faster. Fly to the barge (wherever it spawns), kill the enemies, and collect the Torpedo ECU . . . Twice, as in both of them if you're doing this solo. Yeah that's the only downside to doing this is the back and fourth
- Roles: Paleto Cove Team, Paleto Bay Team
- Recommended Weapons: You'll use the Strombergs'.
- Recommended Vehicles: You'll use the Strombergs.
- Payout: $35,000
- Difficulty: Hard
First off both teams go take out the convoy heading toward Paleto Bay so that I can get to the part of the walkthrough where I highlight out your team's name and tell you what to do next . . .
Paleto Cove Team
Once underwater blow up the sea mines then scan the Submarine. To scan the submarine, in the three spots, stay within the yellow circles on the mini map. Once you have scanned the submarine drive to Ammunation.
Paleto Bay Team
Once underwater blow up the sea mines then scan the wreckage. To scan the wreckage, in the three spots, stay within the yellow circles on the mini map. Once you have scanned the wreckage drive to Ammunation.
Act 2: Heist
- Roles: Submarine, Air Support
- Recommended Weapons: Heavy Shotgun (Submarine), Avenger's Turret (Air Support)
- Recommended Vehicles: Doesn't really matter, tripskip if your Facility is far away.
- Payout: $1,187,500 (Hard Difficulty), which is $593,750 if you split 50/50
- Difficulty: Hard
Drive to the location with the two vehicles, depending on how far away you are you might want to tripskip.
Get in the Stromberg and drive to the Submarine. Once inside shoot your way through the Russian sailors to the brig (see first screenshot). A shotgun (your choice) is really good for this. When you find the informant aim your gun at him to get him to talk. Then make your way back up to the bridge and take a picture of the command center. Watch the cinematic and swim to shore. Get in the Avenger, but there's no need to get on one of the turrets.
Get in the Avenger and fly it over the area marked on the map. Go into the User Interface>Avenger>Engage Auto Pilot. From there hold Right on the D-pad (or whatever the hell it is on PC) to enter the cargo bay and get one of the turrets. Shoot the responding helicopters until Lester [screams at you] to land on the nearby beach (see second screenshot). Wait for the Submarine team to get in and fly off to the drop off. The Avenger is fast enough that you don't need to worry about shooting down pursuing helicopters.
Act 3: The Doomsday Scenario
Prep (1): Marked Cash
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Lobby: Yes; as the British would say "it's a piece of piss". Yeah I never understood that either, but this is pretty easy.
As a VIP/CEO spawn a Buzzard Attach Chopper and fly to LSIA. Grab the money bag and fly back to your Facility. I could have put that all in one sentence but I didn't want to seem sloppy . . .
Prep (2): Recon
Ok To Do Solo In A Public Session: Considering the butt pain the connected Setup mission gives you this is probably the easiest Prep in the game.
Head to the docks, but don’t land your helicopter in the area or you’ll get a One-star Wanted Level. Worse Lester will yell at you with that annoyingly shrill voice. The required pictures are easy to take, and are marked on the mini-map. Give the game a second to send the first picture you take to Lester. Don’t worry they don’t all scroll through your contacts in order to Send. Once you’ve taken all of the pictures just fly/drive away.
Rescue Agent 14
- Roles: None
- Recommended Weapons: Combat MG Mk2 w/Armor Piercing Rounds, Shotgun Mk 2 w/Explosive Rounds, Marksman Rifle Mk 2, and assault rifle
- Recommended Vehicles: Something weaponized
- Payout: $36,000
- Difficulty: Normal
Once you and your partner get to the Pacific Allied Shipyard lean in, as you shoot the guards with your weaponized vehicle, to limit the amount of damage you take. It’s not as effective as shooting them on foot, from cover, but it will save you ammo and trouble. Once you clear as many as you can exit the vehicle and get to Agent 14.
Here is where the “fun” starts for the rest of the mission. After the cut scene take cover and use your Combat MG Mk 2 w/Armor Piercing Rounds (or your explosive Shotgun) to help kill the three Juggernauts that appear at the North end of the dock. Three more will appear at the South end once you dispatch them, switch cover and use explosives or Armor Piercing rounds to kill them too. One of you run outside and use a Heavy Sniper Mk 2 w/Explosive Rounds to blow up the three helicopters that fly in. If you do it fast enough you can kill the soldiers before they rappel down.
Luckily once this is over you hit a checkpoint, so don’t stress dying at this point. Equip a Marksman Rifle Mk 2 and help escort Agent 14 along the dock, you can shortcut through the dry dock on the left (see second screenshot) but Agent 14 won’t follow you, however he has a lot of health and takes cover frequently. Once you get to the other end of the dry dock take out the goons to help Agent 14 advance. Remember to eat Snacks and put on new Armor, from cover, when necessary.
Once you get to the middle warehouse some more helicopters with soldiers will arrive. Blow them out of the sky with Explosive Rounds from a Heavy Sniper Mk 2. Take them out while they're still in the sky to limit the amount of enemies on the playing field.
You can cut through the middle warehouse (see third screenshot), to get to the Akulas, or blast the chain link fence and try to take the direct route. Me and my friend Matt managed to do that ONCE, and succeeded before the Juggernauts that spawned here tore us apart . . . So just ignore screenshot four and stick to cover shooting your way through the warehouse. When the Juggernauts appear dispatch them quickly with any remaining Armor Piercing rounds from your Mk 2 Combat MG. You CAN ignore the rest of the gunmen and get into ONE Akula attack chopper.
If you get killed at this point you’ll spawn here (provided you’ve killed the Juggernauts that is). Fly to the drop off point keeping within the purple square on the mini map.