Neverwinter Online - Newbie Guide
Race and Class
- Half-Orc: Are a half Orc half Human race. Having +2 Dexterity and either +2 Constitution or +2 Strength, most times you will see them as some sort of fighter.
- Human: They work well in all Classes. You can choose a +2 in any Ability you like. Another bonus to the Human is they receive an extra Feat at levels 10, 15, and 20.
- Wood Elf: Many elves are Wizards or Clerics. They receive a +2 in Dexterity and either +2 in Intelligence or +2 in Wisdom.
- Sun Elf: Many Sun Elves are Wizards or Rogues or Warlocks. They receive a +2 to Intelligence and either +2 to Dexterity or +2 to Charisma.
- Moon Elf: Much the same as Sun Elves they receive a +2 to Intelligence and either +2 to Dexterity or +2 to Charisma.
- Half-Elf: They are half Elf and half Human. Half-Elves receive +2 Constitution and either +2 in Charisma or +2 in Wisdom. Most are Clerics.
- Drow: This Race is much like an Elf but from the Underdark and traditionally evil. They receive +2 in Dexterity and either +2 in Charisma or Wisdom. You will find mostly Rogues, Wizards or Clerics.
- Menzoberranzan Renegade: Much like the Drow they get +2 in Dexterity and either +2 in Charisma or Wisdom.
- Dwarves: These hardy characters are mostly Fighters or Clerics. They receive +2 Constitution and either +2 in Strength or Wisdom.
- Halfling: With a +2 to Dexterity and either +2 in Charisma or Constitution mostly you see them as Rogues or Clerics.
- Tiefling: Their from demons and devils. Mostly you see them as Wizards. They have a +2 to Charisma and either +2 to Constitution or Intelligence.
- Dragonborn: Unlike any other race the Dragonborn gets a +2 to any two stats you choose.
Creating your Character (toon) Basics
The first step to playing Neverwinter Online is to make a character that you will play. Some now refer to this as a toon, I'm not sure where this came from but I guess I am still old school and will refer to it as a character. It will be the person you are playing and controlling throughout the game.
Everything about your character affects the survivability of your character. If you want to go for the most dominating character it will probably take a lot of trial and error to get that perfect match. Of course the game is set up to have each class have a weakness to one thing but a power over another.
First thing you have to decide on is if you will play as a male or female in the game. There is no in game benefit to playing either one, it is just a personal preference that you have to make. If you are going to role play (RP) in this game keep in mind that you will have to play the part as either male or female depending on your choice here.
Next you will have to choose which Race you would like to play. There are at this time twelve different Races to choose from. Each Race has it's benefits and downsides to them. There are some races that work better with different Classes. Race really changes the look of your character more than anything in the game. Of the twelve races Three are now pay to have. The three you will have to pay for to play them are the Moon Elf, Dragonborn and Menzoberranzan Renegade.
When you pay for the three races that cost money you do get other in game benefits and items. The pricing is $59.99 for the Moon Elf, $74.99 for the Dragonborn and $199.99 for the Menzoberranzan Renegade. Personally I have not paid for any of these so I can not give you to much detail on what all you get or if it is worth it.
See sidebar for the different Races.
It's all about Class
- Trickster Rogue:The master of stealth and misdirection carries a dagger in each hand and is capable of inflicting some serious damage to it's enemies.
- Devoted Cleric: Devoted to their deity, healing and preventing damage is their calling. While doing little damage and usually found in the back of the party there is no question they are a big reason the party stays alive.
- Control Wizard: These arcane artist can make quick work of their foes from a distance. Their ability to take down multiple foes at once is a blessing to a small party.
- Great Weapon Fighter: These brutes can hand out massive amounts of damage in a one on one fight. The great sword in capable hands can pummel their foes into the ground.
- Guardian Fighter: Known as a tank, she can stand in the middle of battle and defend herself well as she holds off the horde of attackers.
- Hunter Ranger: A master with the bow and quick with the sword. She can attack many enemies at once with a hail of arrows or close quickly on one injured enemy and just as quickly disappear into the bushes.
- Scourge Warlock: The darker side of magic not only allows you to do massive amounts of damage but also steal the life forces of your enemies. While cursing them and damaging them you heal yourself and your friends.
Class means everything
Class is the next choice you will make and this is one of the big ones. This will decide how you will fight in battle. Will you be in the thick of it swinging your sword in hand to hand combat or will you choose to stand back and wield your magic at your foes from a distance? This is where you will decide that.
Some would argue that playing a Fighter class would be easy because you just run in and swing your sword. Nothing to it right? Well in this game with different Feats (we'll cover that later) there is a little more to it than running forward and swinging your sword.
If you think that the Cleric is your thing, healing and keeping yourself and friends alive is very important but remember that when you fight alone you wont be doing much damage and will have to survive much longer.
Perhaps you would like to slam down some magic. The Control Wizard can do some damage to many foes at once, however if they get in close on you they can do some serious damage to you.
If your unsure about fighting close up or from a distance maybe the Hunter Ranger is the answer. You can easily fight from a distance or stay in close, but the real way to fight is a little of both.
Of course those that just want to do a massive amount of damage with a fairly decent ability to survive might become a Scourge Warlock.
No matter what life you choose, it is sure to be fun and entertaining to learn the best survival techniques of the class.
Do I have the Ability?
Strength (STR): Measures a charaters physical power.
Constitution (CON): a characters health, stamina, and vital force.
Dexterity (DEX): measures hand-eye coordination, agility, reflexes and balance.
Intelligence (INT): describes how well a character learns and reasons.
Wisdom (WIS): measures common sense, perception, self-discipline, and empathy
Charisma (CHA): measures force of personality, persuasiveness, and leadership.
Abilities are the core
Abilities give you many benefits in Neverwinter Online. It's a fine line of where you should put points when it comes to Abilities. Everyone has their own opinion to how many points should go where for each character.
Once you have chosen your starting points you can not go back and change them without starting all over. So chose wisely. Here I will give you the basic idea of what abilities are and how they will help you. From there it is up to you to figure it out.
Remember your race will give you bonuses on certain Abilities and your class will benefit from higher abilities.
Free to Play
Neverwinter Online is a free to play game. There is no cost to download and play, there is no monthly charge which I find to be a great thing. You can try it and continue to play without paying a thing.
Being a free game have you tried it out yet? Did you enjoy it if you have tried it? The nice thing is you can try it with nothing to lose. Unlike other games that you have to pay monthly to play even if you don't have that much time to play it.
Granted there are things you can pay for and they will give you benefits that you can only get by paying there is nothing that you have to pay for.
The next step to making your character is to change their appearance. Though you can leave it just the way the default comes up you can make minor adjustments to make it your own.
The nice thing about changing the appearance is your really making a your own unique character. Though this is all just for looks and doesn't benefit your character in anyway, you don't want to look just like every other character.
You can change things from the shape of your head, the color of your eyes and hair, to the tattoos and scars you might have. Maybe you prefer to be tall or short, skin or fat. It's all up to you when you change the appearance of your character.
Where do you hail from?
One of the last things you will have to decide on is where your character comes from. This will not affect the game play but it would affect your Role Playing.
Are you from the big city of Waterdeep or are you from the forests of The Dalelands. Perhaps your an escaped slave from the Northdark. It is for you to make up and have fun with.
Most of the major areas of the Forgotten Realms are here for you to choose from.
Choose your Deity
Choosing your Deity really does not seem to have much effect on the game. You can choose any of the twelve choices and it will not negatively affect the game. Some of the major dieties from the Forgotten Realms are here to choose from.
If you are not familiar with them it's alright, you can just read the description and choose the one that sounds most interesting to you. Maybe you are familiar and have a favorite.
I personally like Tempus, the god of battle if I play some sort of fighter and for my thief I prefer Tymora the goddess of good fortune, known as Lady Luck. Feel free to choose your favorite for whatever reason you like.
Starting the Game
So the last thing you can do before starting the game is write your bio. This is where you can make up your past. You can tell your characters history, where he is going in life or what make her tick.
Some come up with great stories that are very detailed while other choose to skip over this part. this is a great way to help you figure out how you will Role Play your character.
This is optional, you can skip this and write nothing or you can tell a whole story. You can wait and fill this in at a later time.
Good luck and have fun. Hope to see you in the game.
© 2013 Thomas Bensen