Paul is very knowledgeable about "Old School Runescape," with a maxed Ironman as well as a maxed regular account!
Runecrafting Guide for Old School RuneScape
Hey guys, welcome to my official 1–99 Runecrafting guide for Old School RuneScape. This guide will show you how to level up your Runecrafting as efficiently as possible in addition to making around half a billion gp in the process.
Looking below you should see a table of contents which will show you all the topics this guide covers. There are two different ways to get to 99 and this guide will cover both of them: pure profit and fast exp.
Contents of This Guide
- Starting Off (Levels 1–24)
- Money Making (Levels 25–99)
- Fast Exp (Levels 25–99)
- More Tips
1. High Agility
Before starting to train Runecrafting you should realise that in OSRS training Runecrafting requires you to run. This means that having a higher Agility level is highly advantageous as it allows you to level Runecrafting more efficiently. If you want to get to 99 in Runecrafting you should consider getting 99 in Agility first if you are aiming for max.
2. Combat Skill
Another good skill to have is Combat, check out my Combat-Leveling Guide if you don't know how. This is because most of the decent methods of training Runecrafting have hostile mobs such as the abyss and it is recommended to have high Defence and Hitpoints to help train Runecrafting. Combat will also help you get the Rune Pouches!
3. Necessary Items
Items-wise you should make sure you have the following:
- Weight-Reducing Gear: Make sure you have a lot of weight-reducing gear to speed up your runs and slow your drain rate on your run energy.
- Rune Pouches: These are probably the most important items in training Runecrafting. Making use of pouches can halve your training time and get you to level 99 twice as quickly. They allow you to store rune or pure essence which allows you to craft more runes on each run.
- Rune Essence or Pure Essence: You obviously need rune essence or pure essence for higher-leveled runes, so either mine a lot before you start or buy a load off the Grand Exchange.
- Stamina Potions: These potions are also an extremely important item that allow you to use less run energy and make your Runecrafting runs as fast as possible.
Starting Off: Levels 1–24
Starting Runecrafting is the slowest part, here you only need to get enough experience to get to level 24. This part isn't going to make you millions, we just need to get to a high enough level first.
To start off you should complete the Abyss Miniquest. This allows you to use the Abyss to craft runes. You can start this quest by talking to the Zamorakian Mage in level 6 Wilderness just north of Edgeville. I won't give a quest guide here as the quest is very straightforward. This will give you level 9 Runecrafting.
After this you should complete The Eyes of Glouphrie which will take you to level 24 Runecrafting. This quest shouldn't take more than an hour and gives enough experience to get to our higher levels.
Here you should craft Fire Runes to level 44. At this stage (depending on prices) you are quite likely to lose a bit of money. Before 44 there aren't any runes which make a lot of profit so at this stage we are just getting a high enough level to craft Nature runes.
Head to Castlewars bank and fill your inventory with full pouches and rune essence. You should wear a fire tiara, a ring of duelling and weight reducing clothing. Activate your ring of duelling and head to the Duel Arena, run north a little bit, craft your fire runes, and teleport back to Castlewars. Repeat this until level 44 Runecrafting.
Here you can craft Nature runes. This is where you will start to profit a bit. Your gear here should be a mix of keeping your weight below zero and keeping your defensive bonus high. Focus on high ranged Defence as we will be using the Abyss here.
Invest in a lot of Amulet of Glorys and start in Edgeville bank. Head north and teleport to the Abyss. Head to the Nature Altar (use the picture on the side if you're unsure) and craft your runes. Remember you will need pure essence here. Use your Amulet of Glory and head back to Edgeville. Repeat this until level 59.
Now you can craft double Cosmic runes which gives better profit than Nature runes. This should be done via the Abyss once again and will give a major profit getting to level 82.
Now you can craft double Astral runes. These are really good experience as well as very good money. This requires a few quests to get to the altar so if the quests aren't complete then you should stick to Cosmic runes until 91.
Now you've made it the best part. Heading from 91-99 Runecrafting allows you to craft double Nature runes, which will make you mega GP. Get your good defensive gear on as well as weight reducing bonuses.
This should also be done via the Abyss. Using pouches here makes such a big difference as every extra rune crafted gives so much more money. You will also need a pickaxe to mine through the rock in the Abyss - it is recommended to have a higher Mining level to make this easier. A higher Agility level also makes it easier to get through the obstacles in the Abyss.
Fast Experience: Levels 24–99
Getting to level 99 Runecrafting can be quite quick and can get you up to 50k experience per hour. To do this you will be crafting Lava runes all the way to 99.
This method requires you to have completed the Lunar Diplomacy quest as well as having level 82 Magic in order to cast the magic imbue spell unlocked in the Lunar Magic Spellbook. Crafting Lava runes is done in the same way as crafting fire runes except you should bring earth runes with you and use the Earth runes on the altar in order to make Lava runes. This method is not profitable at all, in fact you will lose money getting level 99 in this way.
- Windows Mousekeys: One tip which is very helpful for Runecrafting is using Windows Mousekeys. I really don't know if there is an alternative for non-Windows systems but Mousekeys allows you to quickly perform systems of clicks without having to move around your screen with your mouse. I won't explain this in details here but a quick search for "Runecrafting Mousekeys" will throw up a guide!
- ScreenMarker: Another alternative is ScreenMarker. This allows you to draw over your screen (not literally, just on the software). You can use this to mark where your rune essence and stamina potions are so that when you are running to the bank you will already know where your essence and potions are, without having to search around for it.
- Abyssal Book: One thing which is useful if you aren't using the Abyss is having an Abyssal book. This allows you to repair your pouches using the NPC contact spell quicker and can be claimed from the Dark Mage found in the centre of the Abyss. If you don't have the book, using the NPC contact spell is still a really useful thing to do.
- Pouch Arrangement: Another useful thing to know is Pouch arrangement. If you keep all your pouches on the second bottom bar of your inventory then whenever you right click on them the option which shows up right under it is the "empty" button. This allows you to quickly empty your pouches when you are on a run and speed up your training time!
Thank you for reading my 1–99 Runecrafting guide for Old School RuneScape! I hope this guide helps you level up your Runecrafting fast and make a lot of money along the way. This method is extremely profitable and I hope you find this guide useful! Feel free to leave any questions below and check out my profile for some more guides.