"RuneScape 3": 1–99 P2P Summoning Training Guide 2019
How to Start Training Summoning
The best way to begin training Summoning is to complete the Wolf Whistle quest which levels the player up to level 4 Summoning and gives enough gold charms to get to level 16. The quest will teach you how to craft Summoning pouches.
The basic idea is that every Summoning pouch requires a pouch, some Spirit Shards, a Tertiary Ingredient, and a Charm.
- Spirit Shards are 25 coins each and are easily bought in bulk from Pikkupstix.
- Tertiary Ingredients are items usually related to the familiar being crafted—for example, a Steel Titan uses a Steel Platebody as its tertiary ingredient.
- Charms are collected through various activities and each familiar needs one of these to be created.
Assuming money isn't a massive issue (check out my money making guide or my flipping guide if it is), the biggest bottleneck in leveling up Summoning is collecting charms. The next section of the guide shows you the best ways to collect charms no matter what your levels are!
How to Obtain Charms (P2P)
Charms are the most vital part of the Summoning skill. Training requires charms no matter what and the slowest part of training is often collecting charms. There are several different ways to collect charms.
Training through Slayer is a very efficient way to train as getting 99 Slayer should give enough charms for 99 Summoning. Unfortunately Summoning is a very useful skill to have during Slayer so some players may find this undesirable. If you are planning on maxing efficiently it would be wise to get Slayer then Summoning.
If you do not want to do Slayer then the next best way to get charms is camping at specific monsters. When going for 99 Summoning the player should focus on getting as many crimson and blue charms as possible as these are the best charms for Summoning experience. Here is a long list of monsters and the charms they drop!
List of Charms Dropped by Monsters
41% gold charm drop rate (DR)
Require spiked gauntlets to kill and can be found in the Taverley Slayer Dungeon. These only have 150 lifepoints so are easy to kill for even low leveled players.
10% gold charm DR
Can be found north of Relleka. The player can use a cannon to make large numbers of these aggressive. They are AFKable when doing so however every 5 minutes you must run south and then back to re-aggro them.
40% gold charm DR
Have low defence and are slow to attack. They can be found north west of Ardougne.
56% gold charm DR
Similar to Moss Giants, can be found in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon
11% gold charm DR
These are good for low leveled players and can be found east of Lumbridge.
Giant Rock Crabs
80% gold charm DR (3 at a time)
These are the best monsters for gold charms, they can be killed most efficiently in the Chaos Tunnels but can also be found in the Waterbirth Island Dungeon.
44% crimson charm, 21% gold charm DR
These can be killed in the Chaos Tunnels, they are weak to bolts and drop infernal ashes which can be used to profit or to level up Prayer.
16% gold, 9% green, 24% crimson, 3% blue charm DR
These are considered the best way to train Summoning. Although the drop rates seem low you can kill a very large number of these per hour using Ice Barrage/Burst. They can give up to 200 crimson charms per hour.
79% crimson charm DR
Another great way to gain crimson charms, they are best killed in the Chaos Tunnels and should be killed with a crossbow or magic weapon. You can gain around 225 crimson charms per hour.
150 crimson charms per hour
Requires 81 Slayer and can be found in the Ascension Dungeon. Can also profit around 2m per hour as they drop Ascension Keystones.
5-20 blue, 7-23 crimson, 2-11 green charms
Bork can be killed once per 24 hours and depending on equipment can give the charms shows. Wearing a Ring of Wealth, completing the Varrock Hard Tasks, and completing the Mighty Fall quest give bonuses to the charms dropped and all three will give the max charms.
Drops 3 charms per 2 kills, a mix of crimson and blue
Quite hard to kill but a very good drop rate of high leveled charms.
Drops 3 charms per kill, a mix of crimson and blue
Again they take quite long to kill but have a very good drop rate.
200+ crimson charms per hour
These should be killed with a dwarf multicannon in the Forinthry Dungeon and Prayer urns should be used to get prayer experience as well.
68% gold charm DR
These pretty much only drop gold charms and are very AFK as they are aggressive. They can be safe-spotted and using Guthan's armour will give a lot of charms with very little effort.
40% green charm DR
These are easy to kill at level 12, note that the level 8 versions do not drop charms.
King Black Dragon (KBD)
115 crimson charms per hour
Requires high stats and can profit around 500k per hour as well. Not desirable as there are better ways of making money.
(Exiled) Kalphite Queen
140 charms per hour (mixed)
Requires high stats and can profit 800k per hour. Again not desirable.
Exiled Kalphite Guardians
High blue charm DR
They are AFKable as they are aggresive and drop a good amount of blue charms.
Troll Brute (F2P)
High gold charm DR
These are the only F2P monsters which drop charms and will only drop gold charm.
Alternative Methods of Gaining Charms Without Combat
The player can also gain charms through some other methods:
- Firemaking: When using bonfires, fire spirits can emerge and give a charm reward
- Hunter: Hunting spirit implings, charming moths and charm sprites can reward the player with charms. charming moths have the best drop rate - around 340 per hour (mixed colors)
- Thieving: Pickpocketing Amlodd workers in the Elf City can give all four charms commonly but requires 94 Thieving and the Plague's End quest.
Which Pouches to Make
This section will discuss which pouches to make to maximize the experience per charm. Note that it is best to try and save the better charms for higher levels, ie use up all your gold charms before you use your green etc.
Your main priority assuming money isn't an issue is to craft the highest level pouches available with the lowest level charms you have available (unless you have a very large number of crimson/blue charms).
If money is an issue it is acceptable to use lower leveled pouches until a cheaper alternative becomes available.
- You should stop using gold charms at around level 66 as it becomes inefficient.
- You should stop using green charms at around level 80 as it becomes inefficient.
At higher levels it can be efficient (yet expensive) to transmute lower leveled charms into higher ones. This is useful to get more crimson/blue charms if you have an abundance of gold/green ones.
Where to Make Pouches
There are several different ways to make pouches. The classic method of banking at Taverley and running to Pikkupstix is outdated and there are more efficient ways to train Summoning.
At level 57 Summoning you can use a spirit kyatt pouch to teleport near the Piscatoris Summoning obelisk and bank using rings of duelling. Using bank presets will speed up your banking time and thus improve your Summoning experience per hour.
Beast of Burden
Using the classic method and using a beast of burden can be an improvement on the spirit kyatt method.
Using the classic method in the Amlodd district of Prifddinas is much quicker than in Taverley.
Useful Tips and Tricks for Summoning
There are a few things you can use to level up faster and gain more experience/save more money!
- Spirit Gems: Killing monsters can drop Spirit Gems, which can be worn in the pocket slot to give a small chance of saving charms when crafting pouches.
- Shaman's Outfit: The Shaman's Outfit is a skilling outfit which can give a 6% bonus to Summoning experience if all 5 pieces are worn. Unfortunately this can only be won from Treasure Hunter.
- Summoning Focus: A Summoning Focus is an item which grants an extra 20% Summoning experience when making pouches. They are stackable and can be bought from the Grand Exchange for around 2k each. One is used for every pouch created so should only be used if the cost of making a pouch is over 5 times as much as the cost of the Focus.
- Familiarization, Distraction, and Diversion: Once a week the Familiarization, Distraction, and Diversion can be played to grant triple charms for 40 minutes. This is the best time to kill monsters for charms obviously.
Summoning Guide Video
Thank you for reading my guide! I hope this helps you achieve level 99 Summoning or even 120/200m experience! If you have any questions feel free to ask below and I will reply!