Sigbog is an avid gamer whose addiction spans PC and mobile titles. They love to break games down and pick them apart.
Pirate Legend Guide
Becoming a Pirate Legend
Becoming a Pirate Legend in Sea of Thieves requires a significant amount of effort, but opens up a ton of new content in the game. It's a worthy challenge for any seafaring scoundrel that wants to prove their worth. Reaching this title will require commitment, but this guide will walk you through how to approach the task.
Meeting the Requirements
The list of requirements is short, but accomplishing that list is not at all an easy task. In order to unlock the Pirate Legend title, you have to achieve:
- Reach level 50 in 3 trading companies
- Purchase the level 50 promotion for 3 Trading Companies
It only takes 5,500 gold to purchase all promotions up to level 50 for a Trading Company so that part is not particularly challenging. In reality, it's all about earning enough reputation to reach level 50. This can easily take dozens of hours or even over a hundred depending on how focused you are.
Gaining Reputation with Trading Companies
The challenge to becoming a legend is the total amount of effort required to take 3 Trading Companies to level 50. This can take quite a bit of time, but with some concerted effort this task can be more manageable. You gain reputation for a Trading Company via all of the following tasks:
- Selling items to the corresponding Trading Company representative.
- Completing Commendations. You can view Commendations by accessing the in-game menu, select Reputation, select a Trading Company, then select Commendations.
- Completing Voyages. These are purchasable for small amounts of gold at Trading Company Representatives at Outposts.
- Lowering Emissary Flags above Grade 2 by voting to lower flag at the same Emissary table you voted to raise the flag.
- Purchasing Letters of Recommendation from Duke in the Tavern for Doubloons. This increases your level by 1, and can only be purchased once per month.
Generally, it summarizes to doing just about anything related to that Trading Company, particularly given large amounts of reputation come from Commendations. There are dozens of Commendations per Trading Company that all roughly summarize to do more tasks. To try to increase your level as quickly as possible, I recommend the following:
- Prioritize 1 Trading Company at a time
- Raise the corresponding Emissary Flag
- Complete all available Voyages
- Continue accumulating loot until your Emissary Flag reaches Grade 5
- Trade in loot
- At the end of your session, vote to lower your Emissary Flag
One key thing to note about this, is that while turning loot in at a higher Grade only increases the amount of gold you earn, not the reputation. However, there are commendations for turning in loot while at Grade 5 so while those are still available to you, you will still be earning more reputation by turning in at Grade 5.
Viewing Commendations for your Trading Companies
Upon reaching the title of Pirate Legend, you'll unlock a variety of great perks, including:
- The actual Pirate Legend title itself
- Legendary set clothing items and vanity items
- Access to Athena's Fortune Hideout
- Access to the Shanty of Legends playable by the Tavern to grant access to the Athena's Fortune Hideout
- Access to Athena's Fortune Trading Company and all standard trading company services including voyages, promotions, emissary flag, etc.
- Ability to purchase Legendary set equipment items, ship components, and weapons
- Ability to purchase Ghost set items of all types
- Ability to purchase Athena's Fortune costume
The big value here is unlocking the Athena's Fortune Trading Company. This opens up an entirely new section of content for players which even includes new exclusive rewards. One such reward is the Chest of Legends granting between 4,300 and 17,500 gold!
It can be easy to criticize Sea of Thieves for not offering enough stuff to do for the players. However, in this instance becoming a Pirate Legend and unlocking Athena's Fortune is a rich and engaging goal. Admittedly, it is a bit tiresome and tedious at times, but ballooning content in this way as opposed to just exclusively granting gold to be used on cosmetics is far more rewarding.