Matt Bird writes all sorts of nonsense, but he dedicates a large chunk of his time to writing game walkthroughs.
Deshaan is in a pretty poor state. The entire district is caught in the clutches of a foul disease, and all those inflicted will, eventually, turn into monsters. Is this a natural plague that threatens all who live in this otherwise fair land? Or has some barbaric schemer crafted it specifically to spread woe amongst the populace . . . ?
A Letter for Deshaan
Location: Quarantine Serk, Deshaan
NPC: Gorvyn Dran
Reward: 84 gold
- The NPC for this quest, Gorvyn Dran, is on the road southwest of the Tormented Spire leading from Stonefalls to Deshaan. He's standing beside a bridge.
- Gorvyn speaks of the Llodos plague, which has been ravaging the Deshaan countryside. He asks you to deliver a letter to his cousin, Dandrii, in Serkamora. Carry on down the road past him and you'll come to the gates into Deshaan in short order.
- Head south until you see a girl on your left along the road. This is Dandrii. Talk to her to complete the quest.
- Approach the Quarantine Serk waypoint on the map, near the local Wayshrine. A girl will approach you, triggering another quest.
Location: Quarantine Serk
NPC: Aerona Berendas
Reward: Plague Mask, 336 gold
- Aerona is the sister of the Serk's consul, Dethisam, who's gone missing. She wants you to go looking for him.
- There are several houses down the hill from the Wayshrine. Aerona wants you to start with them. Consult your map and pop into the indicated houses. Be careful entering the Flan house, as some of the people inside will attack you.
- Talk to Aerona after checking the three houses. (She's been following you around, if you haven't noticed.) She decides to check out the Maulborn Quarantine nearby—though to get in, you'll need the Old Graveyard Key. You'll find it around the walls of the Maulborn Quarantine, watched over by a pair of soldiers. Kill them off and check the bag beside the gate into the Quarantine for the key, then use it to enter the door.
- You're now on the grounds. There are more Maulborn inside, as well as other infected, but your destination is up a large set of stairs on your left. Cross the grounds and enter the Quarantine Serk Catacombs.
- There are plenty of enemies to fend off in here, so be cautious. They often spawn in large numbers that can quickly overwhelm players who are overly ambitious. (Fortunately, there's usually a large number of players in here, so it's not difficult to find people with whom you can team up and beat down on large groups of cronies.)
- You're looking for documents in here that are labelled as Batches. Fight your way through and keep your eyes open for shining gold documents on tables, typically near fires. Two of them will count as evidence needed to complete the quest.
- After going down a long set of stairs, you'll see a fire to your right; Dethisam is here. Let him speak with his sister for a bit and a waypoint will pop up above him. He's quite sick, and you can opt to talk to her about abandoning him or insist on saving him. The choice is yours.
- The next section ahead contains a ton of ghouls. Like, a ton. You can try to fight your way through if you want, but it's wiser to just run through the passage until you see a large chamber ahead. The ghouls will give up and return to their old territory if you run far enough. Be sure to wait for a moment and restore your HP before proceeding . . .
- . . . as the mastermind behind this sick place, Nostrum Breva, is waiting inside. Accompanied by several lackeys and a powerful mage in her own right, Nostrum is not a foe to take on by yourself. Start by taking out any healers that may have spawned with her, then go after her other buddies, then take out Nostrum herself. She's not terribly mobile and will typically stay in one place, so your best bet is to block her attacks and knock her on her butt. This will give you plenty of chances to knock down her health and take her out for good.
- After Breva is dead, you need to light her research material on fire. Head from waypoint to waypoint and set everything on fire. There's also plenty to read in this room if you want to learn more about the diseases she created.
- After you're done here, you're free to leave. Use the back door in Breva's room to return to the Quarantine Serk on the world map. Head back to the buildings and search out Aerona inside one of them. She'll bring an end to the quest for you and fork over your justly earned reward.