Alexandria has been playing video games since the days of the Sega Genesis. She's been writing about video games going on four years.
Update: Big Hero 6: Bot Fight is no longer available. The game was discontinued in February 2016. Please enjoy this review if you're curious about what the game was like!
What Is Big Hero 6: Bot Fight?
The film Big Hero 6 premiered November 7, 2014, and you can get a glimpse of this colorful high-tech world with the mobile game Big Hero 6: Bot Fight. Disney Interactive partnered with game developer Gumi to bring a great free-to-play game to iOS, Android and Windows phone users, and it was released November 3, 2014. The game continues the adventures of Baymax and Hiro in a fun match-3 puzzle experience.
The storyline centers around a street-fighting thug named Yama who takes sore-losing to evil proportions. Embarrassed by losing a bot fight to 14-year-old Hiro, Yama becomes obsessed with victory. He steals an AI chip to improve his robot, “Little Yama,” but instead it goes berserk and infects more bots. The player must help Hiro and Baymax stop the infected bots and protect San Fransokyo.
Gameplay is a solid match 3-style with the addition of robots to help with their special abilities. Different colored gems will power up corresponding bots, and each has special abilities they can use when fully charged to get past the tough bits. Players can even call on Hiro to help them out with some special attacks.
Similar to other match-3 puzzle games like Marvel Puzzle Quest or Monster High Ghouls and Jewels, Big Hero 6: Bot Fight combines the world of beloved licensed characters with simple yet strategic gameplay. An interesting story is weaved throughout the missions. As one would come to expect from Disney, the graphics are great and put you right in the world of San Fransokyo.
- There are special events and daily missions to help players increase their XP and in-game resources.
- There are in-app purchases parents will want to be wary of when downloading this app for children; these revolve around various forms of in-game currency.
- Players can team up with friends using an ally system (which helps grow your friends list) and take out the bad bots.
- There are over 150 unique bots players can collect and level up.
- You can build up a team of powerful bots with their own strengths and weaknesses in a Pokémon-esque team of battle-bots.
It's a Solid Casual Game for Big Hero Fans
As far as licensed-character casual games go, this one is pretty solid. It’s nothing to get too excited about, but if you or your child is a huge fan of Big Hero 6 and enjoys match-3 games, it will be worth a download. You can download Big Hero 6: Bot Fight for free on iOS, Android and Windows devices.
N B Yomi from Dallas, TX on July 05, 2017: