Cassidy is an author and a scientist who enjoys playing mobile games in his free time.
Epic Seven is a tactical, role-playing gacha game that allows you to summon heroes ranging from 2 to 5 stars, which you use to battle other characters in adventure mode or other players in PVP. Though the highest grade you can summon is 5 stars, the highest you can achieve is actually 6 stars. To get your characters to 6 stars, you will need to use hero promotion.
What Is Hero Promotion?
Hero promotion is a mechanism that allows you to improve the grade of your max level units by consuming a number of equal grade units. This increases your units' stats and allows them to be leveled up 10 more times until they will need to be promoted again. A unit's maximum level depends on its grade:
- 2-star: level 20
- 3-star: level 30
- 4-star: level 40
- 5-star: level 50
- 6-star: level 60
How Do You Promote a Hero?
To promote a hero, you need to use the Hero Promotion Screen. There are two methods of accessing this screen from the Lobby.
1. Click on the Hero button, circled in yellow below. This opens the Hero Menu.
2. Click on Hero again, circled in red. This will take you to the Hero Details Screen.
3. Select the hero you want to promote from the list on the right. You will see its details displayed on the left. Note that if a hero is not max level for its grade, you have the option to level it up using the Enhance button at the bottom. When a hero is max level, that button will be replaced by the Promotion button, which opens up the Hero Promotion Screen.
1. Click on a hero in the Lobby.
2. Select Enhance/Promote, circled in yellow below.
The Hero Promotion Screen is shown below for a 2-star hero. To promote your hero, you need to consume an equal number of equal grade heroes, referred to as fodder. They do not need to be max level.
This means that a 2-star hero must consume 2 other 2-star heroes to be promoted; a 3-star hero must consume 3 3-star heroes; a 4-star hero must consume 4 4-star heroes; and a 5-star hero must consume 5 5-star heroes.
What Are Phantasma?
Phantasma are considered materials meant for promotion. There are 3 types of phantasma ranging from 2 to 4 stars, and they start at the max level for their grade. The types of phantasma are as follows:
- Mega-Phantasma: 2-star
- Giga-Phantasma: 3-star
- Tera-Phantasma: 4-star
How Should You Use Phantasma?
Phantasma are used to promote heroes so you do not need to consume the heroes you summon. In order to promote a 5-star hero, you will need 5 5-star phantasma. To obtain these, you will need to promote your phantasma, often multiple times. Here I will take you through that process.
Since you acquire phantasma at max level, the first thing you should do is promote them. The fodder you should use is as follows:
- For a Mega-Phantasma: 2 2-star heroes
- For a Giga-Phantasma: 3 3-star heroes (promoted 2-star heroes) or Mega-Phantasma
- For a Tera-Phantasma: 4 4-star Mega-Phantasma or Giga-Phantasma
Note that you shouldn't be using your summoned 3-star, 4-star, or 5-star heroes as fodder. Just use 2-star heroes or phantasma.
After promoting a Tera-Phantasma, you can then use it as fodder to promote your 5-star heroes. For Mega- and Giga-Phantasma, you should level up the promoted phantasma through farming/grinding. Phantasma receive bonus battle experience, which makes them ideal promotion materials. Mega-Phantasma receive 3% bonus battle experience, and Giga-Phantasma receive 6% bonus battle experience. You can see these bonuses reflected in the increased experience gained by the phantasma in the image below. Note that other experience bonuses are also in play.
An optimal farming team consists of the following (shown below):
- 2-star hero (Leader)
- 2-star hero
- High level friend support unit
If you do not have a good enough friend support unit available or if you cannot clear your preferred farming stage with the team composition above, you should use this team composition instead (shown below):
- 2-star hero (Leader)
- High level farming hero
- Decent friend support unit
Note that you should put a 2-star hero in your leader spot so that it is attacked more frequently. This will speed up your farming as the friend unit will help more quickly if your weakest unit is quickly killed. This will also take some pressure off your farming hero.
Once your promoted Mega- and Giga-Phantasma reach max level, promote them again. Use the following as fodder:
- 3-star to 4-star Mega Phantasma: 3 3-star fodder (shown below) or 3-star Mega-Phantasma
- 4-star to 5-star Giga-Phantasma: 4 4-star Mega-Phantasma or Giga-Phantasma
Once you have 5 5-star phantasma, you're ready to promote your 5-star hero to 6 stars! Go to the Hero Promotion Screen for your desired unit and promote it. Enjoy your new 6-star unit and have fun playing Epic Seven!