How to Improve at Playing Ruzzle
What Is Ruzzle?
Ruzzle, which was developed by MAG Interactive, is a word-based game for the iPhone, Android, and Blackberry. It combines the elements of Scrabble and Boggle into a highly addictive game enjoyed by players all over the world. This article will continue on the assumption that readers are already fully aware of the game mechanics. There are no secrets to playing Ruzzle, just aspects of the game you might not be aware of, now let's improve your Ruzzle score!
Getting Good at Ruzzle
If you're unfamiliar with the popular and addictive online word game "Ruzzle," then you're missing out on all the time you could be spending in front of yet another screen and loving it. Now, I can't say the tips and hints I'll be covering in this article will make you the best player overnight, but I can say it will make you twice the Ruzzle player you are now (unless you're currently ranked above me).
To dispel any doubts that you may have that I am a real Ruzzle player, my screen name is "Murderiwrote," feel free to text or challenge me to a friendly game. My Ruzzle ranking score fluctuates between 2800-2900, which means I'm just another 100 points away from getting into the top 25 globally ranked players. Accomplishing that has been the sole reason I continue playing and improving. I want to be ranked among the top elite players.
Just the mere thought of seeing my name on that list has become an obsession. Now, I will be the first to confess that I'm not the sharpest guy around, but I'm good at adapting and I'm fast. I continually find new ways to make myself an even faster player and that is what I attribute my current rank and survival to. If you're going to be a long-term Ruzzle player, you must always keep continuous improvement in mind. This guide is intended for seriously competitive Ruzzle players, so if you're not one, I advise you to walk away.
How to Play Ruzzle and Win
If you're playing Ruzzle competitively and ranking is of the utmost importance to you, there are times in your life when you should choose not to play:
- When you are distracted you shouldn't play Ruzzle. If you're not really focused on a 2-minute Ruzzle match, then you will not be capable of giving your opponent your best and a more focused player will capitalize on your lack of proper attention.
- Don't play whenever you're angry, frustrated, or stressed. Anger makes you lose your objectivity, I never play Ruzzle while consumed by any kind of emotion. All emotions need to be removed from the equation.
- When you're feeling insecure or fearful. If you can't play Ruzzle feeling confident that you can be victorious, then you'll likely lose.
- When you're in a loud environment, you should not play Ruzzle. Not only will it hamper your concentration, but it will muffle the sound of the game. You will need good listening skills to become a faster player because you will be able to hear the word being spelled before your eyes can signal the word to your brain. Use sound to become faster.
- Never play after washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Doing this removes all the natural oils from your fingertips and creates an unwanted friction between your playing finger and the screen, which will slow you down tremendously. It could also be painful because screen burn is possible when you're spelling over 120 words per round.
- Also, you should only be using one finger to spell your words. Any more fingertips added on the board will make you lose too much speed. I learned through trial and error that my right thumb was my fastest appendage. Also, for the record, pinkies are probably the worst digit to play with.
Vocabulary or Speed?
Which do you believe to be more advantageous in Ruzzle, Vocabulary or Speed?
How to Get Faster at Ruzzle
If you want to get better at playing Ruzzle, you need strong vocabulary skills and you need to be fast. Speedy hand-eye coordination abilities will enable you to spell quickly while your eyes scan for the next words. Your ultimate goal should be to decrease the amount of time between your brain sending the signals to your fingers to spell and your fingertips physically carrying out the command.
There are many ways to achieve success while playing Ruzzle, but you can only get better and faster through practice. I have a few recommendations for increasing your playing speed. Before I begin, I want to say that this advice is going to be a bit extreme, but it has made me faster and helped me average 120-150 words per game. Check my stats and you'll see that the most words I've achieved in one game is listed as "192." Here's how I accomplished that and here's what you'll need to do to imitate my success:
- A non-corrosive cooking oil.
- One paper towel.
- One wide bottle cap (preferably a Snapple bottle cap because it works well and its width is good.)
Next, fold the paper towel (or tear it) into a small square that will fit into the bottle cap. We want to put layers of paper in the bottle cap. Pour exactly 1-2 drops of oil onto the paper towel inside the bottle cap. Now, before you start to play, lightly dab the paper towel with your playing fingertip. Do this very gently and without pressing down on it.
You want to end up with a minute amount of oil on your fingertip. This is to reduce any and all friction between your skin and the screen. I can't stress the efficacy of this step enough. I am fully aware of the fact that oil being near an expensive electronic device is undesirable, but I am a very competitive Ruzzle player and I will improve wherever and however I can.
How Do People Cheat on Ruzzle?
I will keep this short, because you came here for ways to improve your skills at Ruzzle and not to hear my rants about cheaters. I just don't understand people that go out of their way to cheat at a game. You not only rob honest players of important ranking points, but you rob yourselves of achieving a true victory through hard work and improvement. I just will never understand people who cheat and I take great pleasure in reporting cheaters.
How to Improve Your Ruzzle Score
- Always string-spell your words in short-to-long succession. For example, if you scan and see the word, "Pester" You would first spell "pe, pes, pest", then finally "pester." To be able to spell as many words as you can, you have to do this to every word. The only time you shouldn't do this, is when you see a much longer word that you can bank more points from, then go right back to string-spelling words you find.
- Learn from your opponents, after the third round, win, lose, or draw, scroll through the "found words" list and take note of every word they found, but you failed to find. Learn those words and add them to your vocabulary arsenal.
- Learn and use more long, complex, and obscure words. The Top 25 ranked Ruzzle players in the world tend to spell crazy, obscure words, and I've personally played against every single one of them. They are as word-knowledgeable as they are lighting quick.
- Play when you're alone in a quiet environment. I like playing in the middle of the night between 1-4am. Find out when you play your best and only play matches during those times.
I'm Addicted to Ruzzle
I never imagined that I'd become addicted to such a simple game, but I loved this game from the moment a friend introduced me to it. If you love spelling, then you are highly susceptible to becoming a Ruzzle addict! If you have any suggestions or comments, please do not hesitate to share them. I'd love to hear your opinions and questions. Feel free to share this article with a friend and your social network!
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Michael Kismet