Sigbog is an avid Level 40 "Pokémon GO" player and raider with lots of knowledge and experience to draw from.
Pokémon GO Buddy Adventure Guide
Pokémon GO continues aiming to satisfy childhood hopes and dreams by adding a new feature that allows players to have a more meaningful relationship with their Buddy Pokémon. Now, your Buddy Pokémon will be much more engaging as well as offer more benefits to you as a player. You'll have new experiences in AR+, the world map, and even in combat as this features touches many areas of the game.
Interacting With Your Buddy Pokémon
Your Buddy Pokémon will now be so much more than just a selection that shows up in your profile and occasionally drops you candy. Now there are many more ways your Buddy will show up in your game:
- It will follow you around in the world map view.
- It may help you out in Pokémon encounters.
- It will occasionally bring you items and even Souvenirs.
- It will let you know about nearby interesting places.
Niantic has also teased the possibility of being able to see your and other player's Pokémon in AR+ sometime in the future. Just think of the group photos!
However, you'll have to build a relationship with your Buddy in order to get all these benefits and perks.
The New Buddy Affection System
Similar to the Friend system, Buddy Pokémon will have various buddy levels that each come with perks. These levels include:
- Good Buddy (Requires 1 heart)
At the introductory level, they will simply follow you around on the map, plus you will be able to see and impact their mood.
- Great Buddy (Requires 70 hearts)
Buddy Pokémon will now help you in encounters and bring you items.
- Ultra Buddy (Requires 150 hearts)
At this point, they will notify you of nearby special locations and potentially bring you Souvenirs.
- Best Buddy (Requires 300 hearts)
You will unlock a Best Buddy ribbon and will have boosted CP in combat while they are assigned as your buddy.
How to Earn Hearts
In order to improve your buddy level, you must do activities with your Pokémon to earn hearts. These activities can be done daily and include:
- Walking around together (1 heart per 2km walked, limit 3 times per day)
- Giving a berry to your Buddy (Takes 3 regular berries or 2 golden razz berries for a heart, limit 3 hearts per day, but won't work if your Pokémon's mood is maxed)
- Playing together (1 heart per day, simply open up AR+ and tickle it a bit)
- Battling together (limit 1 heart per day)
- Taking a snapshot of them (limit 1 heart per day)
- Visiting new stops (limit 1 heart per day)
This means you can get up to 10 hearts per day, meaning that if you earn every possible heart each day, you'll reach Best Buddy level in 1 month.
Along with the buddy level system, your Buddy will also have a mood. Doing activities will increase your buddy level and also simultaneously increase your Buddy's mood, leading to short term positive affects. Improving your Buddy's mood can lead to the following benefits:
- Buddy distance to find a Candy can be cut in half.
- Affection hearts earned per buddy activity are increased.
- Trainers can earn bonus hearts.
Your Pokémon's mood is signified by a face on your Buddy's profile. You'll find that mood slowly decays over time, so you'll have to re-open the game and play with your Buddy or feed it occasionally throughout the day.
Souvenirs are a new item to Pokémon GO, but thus far they don't appear to do anything new. They're simply a neat new collection mechanic. Occasionally, your Buddy Pokémon will bring you Souvenirs as long as you're Ultra Buddies or higher. The Souvenirs can be seen on the Buddy profile page. In the classic video games, many of these items simply exist to be sold, but this is not the case in Pokémon GO. Perhaps they'll have a more concrete use in the future.
Final Thoughts: A Nice Addition to the Game
Overall, this new feature is exciting and finally adds a little flavor to the idea of going on an adventure with your Buddy in a way that didn't exist with the old buddy system. It's certainly not a dramatic re-defining of Pokémon GO, but it's a nice addition to the game and a further enhancement to the solo experience of playing.