Ever since childhood, I have been an avid PC gamer. So, it is no wonder I write topics about PC gaming and building PCs for gaming.
How to Build Scipio as an Open-Field Killer
Scipio Africanus, Rome’s starting commander, is one of the strongest PVP commanders in Rise of Kingdoms, especially for free-to-play players. His skills that significantly improve his troops' combat ability make him a formidable commander in the open field. He is also considered to be one of the best defensive commanders due to his first skill, Military Life, which greatly reduces the enemy troop’s damage. His ability to sustain damage is further increased by his second skill, Patient Warrior, which heals his own troops.
He can further be improved by building his talent tree the right way. To do that, we will be tackling the best way to build Scipio’s talent tree in this guide. We'll look at how to build Scipio into one of the best defensive commanders and also one of the monster killing machines in the open field.
Guide to Scipio Africanus' Skills
Building your commander’s talent tree won’t really matter much if you don’t try to build it around their skills, so before moving into our talent build, we will first go over Scipio's skills.
- Military Life: Reduces damage taken by troops by 25% and increases troop’s counterattack damage by 25% for 5 seconds.
- Patient Warrior: When attacked, Scipio has a 15% chance to increase his troops’ attack by 100% for the next 2 seconds. Effect can only trigger once every 5 seconds. Scipio has a 15% chance to heal a portion of his slightly wounded units (Healing Factor 500) when his army has less than 40% of its units remaining.
- Conqueror of Africa: Increases all damage by 7% when attacking other Governors’ cities.
- Genuine Aristocracy: Increases maximum troop capacity by 10%.
- Utter Annihilation (Expertise): Enhances Patient Warrior. When attacked, Scipio has a 15% chance to increase his troops’ attack by 100% for the next 2 seconds. Effect can only trigger 5 seconds. Scipio has a 15% chance to heal a portion of his slightly wounded units (Healing Factor 500) when his army has less than 40% of its units remaining.
Scipio’s skill to reduce damage taken by 25% makes him sustain heavy damage significantly. This makes him one of the best commanders in terms of their defensive ability. Plus, he also has a healing skill which further improves Scipio’s defensive capabilities. He can also increase the amount of troops he can carry in a march through his fourth skill; thereby, it makes him stronger against enemy marches in PVP.
What About Attacking Cities?
Aside from that, Scipio’s third skill makes him a good commander in attacking cities; however, this guide will not be building Scipio as a city conqueror instead this guide will be building Scipio as a defensive and a semi-garrison commander or an open-field attacking commander. There are better commanders especially legendary commanders in attacking cities so if you plan to use Scipio with this build in attacking cities, then use him to attack cities only when there’s a tank rally taking the city’s damage or when the city is surrounded by other marches.
I would assume that you’ll mostly be using Scipio since you are a free-to-play governor in Rise of Kingdoms so it would be best if you let the pay-to-play governors initiate the attack or rallies against cities. And you’ll just reinforce the attack or rally against other cities. But when it is going to be an open-field battle, then feel free to use your Scipio because this build will definitely make him a killing machine.
Scipio Talent Tree Build Guide
To maximize Scipio’s buffs, we will build around his Integration Talent Tree and we will also build around his Attacking Talent Tree to increase his damage output.
- Lord of War
- Burning Blood
First, we’ll unlock talents that will improve Scipio’s offensive ability. Unlocking Lord of War and Effortless Talents would be a great start. Both of these talents are great offensive talents. We will also unlock Burning Blood to improve Scipio’s rage restoration. This allows him to spam his active skill.
Read More From Levelskip
- Fresh Recruits
- Steely Soul
Let’s further improve his damage output by unlocking Fresh Recruits and Steely Soul from the Leadership Talent Tree. Fresh Recruits increases the amount of troops Scipio can carry in a march while Steel Soul increases his troop’s damage.
- Armored Joints
- Martial Mastery
We’ll then unlock Armored Joints and Martial Mastery in the Attack Talent Tree. Armored Joints is to reduce damage taken and Martial Mastery is to increase damage dealt. You might wonder why we’ll unlock Martial Master even if it decreases active skill damage. Well, Scipio’s active skill is non-damage type skill so it would not affect his active skill at all.
- Close Formation
- Healing Herbs
- Strategic Prowess
- Hidden Herbs
Once we have completed all of the talents in the Attack Talent Tree for our Scipio Talent Tree Build, we will unlock most of the remaining talents in the Leadership Talent Tree. Unlock Close Formation to increase attack damage, Healing Herbs & Strategic Prowess to improve damage sustain ability and Hidden Herbs for improve rage restoration.
- Option 1: Armored to the Teeth and Armed to the Teeth
- Option 2: Buckler Shield
Optionally, we can unlock Armored to the Teeth and Armed to the Teeth if you are planning to use Scipio with marches containing different unit types. If not, then adding some points on the Buckler Shield Talent is recommended.
This build unlocks a mix of talents that improves Scipio’s offensive ability, defensive ability and rage restoration. Leveling up your Scipio to at least level 50 and unlocking most of these talents, it will be a guarantee that your commander will be a killing machine in the open-field.
Recommended Secondary Commander Skill Pairings
Scipio is a strong defensive commander so you would assume that pairing him with another defensive commander is the best combination but through this build, you can also pair him with commanders that has the following skills:
- Buffers/Healers: Commanders that improves your troop’s abilities through buffs or heals wounded troops would further improve the effect of Scipio’s active skill and improves his damage sustain ability. Optionally, if you did not unlock Armor to the Teeth and Armed to the Teeth Talents, you can also use commanders that improves/buffs a specific type of unit.
- Increase Troop Count: Further increase the number of troops Scipio can carry by pairing him with commanders that increases the maximum troop capacity.
- City Conquering: Although we did not unlock Conquering Talents, Scipio can still be good at attacking cities through his Genuine Aristocracy Skill. And we can further improve his city attacking ability through pairing him with commanders that have skills for attacking cities.