An Assassination Is Coming
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts is a main storyline quest in BioWare's fantasy roleplaying game Dragon Age: Inquisition. The quest is obtainable after you complete In Your Heart Shall Burn and have settled in Skyhold.
Empress Celene is under threat from an unknown assassin. If she died, Orlais would be thrown into chaos, making it an easy target for Corypheus. It's up to the Inquisition to intercept the assassination and make sure Orlais is safe.
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts is a unique quest that people tend to love or hate. It has sidequests, multiple dialogue options, and some bonus quests depending on the three companions you choose to take with you.
This is a complete guide to the quest, which includes the locations of all bonus items and a guide on each of the five possible endings. Please keep in mind that it isn't possible to reconcile Briala and Celene's relationship and find all the Caprice coins in a single playthrough.
Who Should I Take?
As always, you can only take three people with you on this quest. It's recommended that you take:
- Your love interest: If you are in a romance with Josephine or Cullen, then this doesn't matter as they come along either way.
- Sera: This opens up a new quest for bonus items. However, please keep in mind that it's not possible to complete Sera's quest and "The Great Blackmail Hunt" in the same playthrough if you want Briala and Celene to rule together.
- Vivienne: Choose her if your character is a mage. This gives your character some extra credit as people respect Vivienne.
Quest Stage: Enter the Winter Palace
Scandalous Secrets: 1
Caprice Coins: 1
Halla Statuettes: 1
Your beginning court approval depends on your character's race and fighting class. A human non-mage will win the highest approval, and you will lose some if your character is a mage, an elf, or a Qunari. Even if you start with the lowest possible amount, it is still possible to achieve 100 court approval, so don't let it concern you for now.
Head to the quest marker a few feet from where you begin and talk to the fretting noblewoman about her missing ring. Respond with "interesting stratagem" for a small approval bonus. It doesn't really matter whether you give the ring back or not (you can easily find it hidden in a small fountain near where the noblewoman is standing), but if you do return it, you'll get a little more approval.
Approach two talking nobles up the stairs on the left, and they will berate you for disturbing them. Head to the balcony, where you'll find a red circle; stand inside it and select "Investigate" to listen to their conversation.
Find the storage key on the same balcony. Head to the area on the opposite side to find the halla statuette. Use the key to open the storage room directly below you. The halla statuette can be used to open the eastern storage room for some items; however, since it contains nothing quest-related, it is recommended you save it for future doors.
- You'll find the first secret (1/30) in the room you unlocked with the storage key, which begins the quest "The Great Blackmail Hunt."
- In the same room as the secret, you'll find your first Caprice coin (1/1), starting the quest "Throwing Away Money."
- On the same balcony where you eavesdrop on the nobles, you'll find a halla statuette (1/11).
Quest Stage: Enter the Ballroom
Scandalous Secrets: 2
Caprice Coins: 0
Halla Statuettes: 0
You'll find yourself in the Winter Palace vestibule. You can talk to Cullen if you like. Avoid Gaspard for now and find the secrets.
- Head to the far end of the vestibule near the entrance to the library. "Investigate" in the red circle to eavesdrop on conversations. Repeat until it counts as a secret towards your total (2/30). Sometimes it may take a few attempts.
- You'll find the other secret near the main stairs' balcony when you eavesdrop (3/30).
After that, speak to Duke Gaspard to initiate the next stage.
Quest Stage: Speak with Leliana
Scandalous secrets: 0
Caprice coins: 0
Halla Statuettes: 0
Take your time walking across the ballroom if you'd like to hear the entirety of you and your companions' introductions. Sera's is particularly funny. When Celene addresses you, respond with the following:
- "It's an honor", though take note you will only receive court approval if your character is a non-mage human. If you're a mage, you'll only receive approval if Vivienne is at your party. If you're a non-mage elf, Qunari, or Dwarf, select "The weather may turn foul" instead.
- Any dialogue option.
Before you approach Leliana, find your companions and chat with them. If you brought Sera, say, "Any tips from your friends?" to start the quest "Red Jenny's Stashes." Only if your court approval is lower than 60, ask, "How are you fitting in?". If you're in a romance with her or are interested in romancing her, ask her to dance. You can chat with Cullen and Josephine, too.
If your court approval is higher than 60, talk to Lady Mantillon and ask her to dance (requires the nobility knowledge perk) to obtain the quest "Dance with the Dowager: the Allemande." If your approval isn't high enough, don't worry; you can come and do this later. Finally, go and talk to Leliana by going to the vestibule.
Quest Stage: Explore the Grand Library
Scandalous Secrets: 10
Caprice Coins: 2
Halla Statuettes: 1
You'll find yourself back in the vestibule, where new items will have appeared. When facing the door to the ballroom, turn right and enter the guest wing. Run straight through into the room with a lot of people in it for now. Talk to Duke Germain and select the dialogue option "Investigate" and then "Gaspard is your nephew?" for some court approval.
Next, talk to the Council of Heralds Vassal and select "Philippe is a jerk!" for a nice boost in court approval. You can also talk to Lady Marcelette, but it won't affect approval.
Iron Bull is in this room if you decided to bring him along. He's got some interesting things to say. Blackwall is also standing in the Hall of Heroes (between where Iron Bull is and the vestibule).
Some elves will be having a discussion. Approach them, and they'll move; you must then find a place to eavesdrop on them. Next, head to the balcony (near where you met Duke Germain) to pick up the cylinder seal.
After that, go to the guest garden, where you'll be approached by some of Celene's ladies. Respond how you like (being polite is better). You'll then be free to explore the garden.
There's a noble there who you can eavesdrop on; select the red circle in the far corner to listen in on the conversation. Do this twice. After that, approach him and, depending on your preference, agree with leashing templars or stopping mages. You'll gain a new recruit for the Inquisition.
Near the locked door in the far side of the garden, there is a cobwebby corner with a box you can loot. This is one of Red Jenny's Stashes.
Climb up the netting at the back of the garden and enter the doors to the library. Ignore everything in this room and turn right into one of the doors into the main part of the library. Go down the stairs and into the door on the right. If you're a rogue, you'll be able to pick the lock, but if you're a warrior or a mage, don't worry - the room doesn't hold any quest-specific items.
Make sure you explore the library and find all the secrets and coins below before you pick up any main quest items. When you've grabbed everything, get the book near the stairs between the garden and the library. After that, head to the room near the garden and "pull book" to reveal the secret room. Grab the veilfire before you pick up the secret and light the beacons to reveal the secret staircase and get some bonus items.
Only when you're sure you've got all the secrets, coins, and items you can pick up the letter on the desk and open the door in the upper garden with the halla statuettes to pick up the negotiations. This will start the timer to get back to the ballroom. For the highest court approval, wait for the second bell (when your inquisitor will say "fashionably late, now") before you enter the ballroom.
- Upon entering the room with a lot of people in it, find the red circle on your immediate left when you enter. Eavesdrop for a scandalous secret (4/30).
- After that, take the first left into the room with Duke Germain and eavesdrop in the red circle on the right (5/30).
- Talking to Germain (6/30), the Council of Heralds (7/30), and the nameless nobles both times (8/30, 9/30) all mentioned above also reveals another secret.
- On the opposite side of the garden, you can eavesdrop on another secret (10/30).
- Upon climbing up the netting at the back of the garden, turn right and go to the end of the balcony to find a secret (11/30).
- When you go into the main library and down the stairs, go through the door on the left and pick up the documents for another secret (12/30).
- In the main area of the library, search for a secret on the far table on the left (13/30).
- Very close to Duke Germain is one of the lion statues, where you'll find a Caprice coin (2/15).
- In the Hall of Heroes, near where Blackwall is standing, is another Caprice coin (3/15).
- When you climb up the netting at the back of the garden, make a sharp right and approach the end of