"Dragon Age Origins": Hints, Tips, and Cheats
How to Cheat in Dragon Age
While some will argue that Dragon Age isn't that difficult, there are some people (myself included) who find cheats really useful. Perhaps there's one battle you can't quite do, or you simply don't have the patience—whatever it is, using cheats can often ensure that you get the most out of a game, and simply don't give up.
There are plenty of walkthroughs available on the web, and also some very good official guides, however, most of us just want the ability to perhaps level up quickly, get a little extra gold or simply become immortal for a few minutes. The Dragon Age codes below will help most players to complete the game.
I would suggest that you use the codes below sparingly; you'll definitely enjoy the game more if you actually have to work a little to achieve the next level—only use the codes when you are stuck and unable to progress further in the game.
Gold Farming Cheat
Find .Exe File, Right-Click and Create Desktop Icon
Right Click on Desktop Icon
Dragon Age Cheat Console
The cheats listed here are for the PC version of the game. Additionally, they are not for the "streamable" version—they do work on the digitally downloadable version. Please note that if you update or patch the game, these cheats may not work, or the files may become corrupted. I take no responsibility for any broken save files!
*NEWS FLASH: some of the cheats below also work with the new expansion Dragon Age: Awakenings. The best thing to do is to try them out and see if they work.*
1. Amend daorigins.exe shortcut
(this will not work on the fileDAOriginsLauncher.exe)
- Make a shortcut to the file daorigins.exe – this should be saved in the folder “C:\Program Files\Dragon Age\bin_ship” but depending on the OS, or your initial setup could be in a different folder (try looking in the Program File (x86) folder). You can use Windows search to find daorigins.exe
- Right click on the shortcut and add -enabledeveloperconsole to the end of the target. (IMPORTANT - the minus sign must be included otherwise this will not work!)
It should look something like:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Dragon Age\bin_ship\daorigins.exe” -enabledeveloperconsole
“C:\Program Files\Dragon Age\bin_ship\daorigins.exe” -enabledeveloperconsole
If you have the quotes around the ‘daorigins.exe’ the –enable… must be placed after the quotes.
2. Edit keybinding.ini
(This file controls much of what happens in the game, so be very careful when editing.)
- Find the file keybindings.ini (usually in the folder “My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings\” – if not do a search for the file), right click and select edit.
- Find the line:
OpenConsole_0=Keyboard::Button_Grave" or something similar.
and change it to
OpenConsole_0=Keyboard::Button_Z" (Z is the key I used as it's not used by the game).
DO NOT DO THIS ON WINDOWS 7 - when activating the cheat use the key with the ~ on it. Do not use [shift].
Load your saved game and press "Z" or the key you chose. A console will now be available, although you cannot see it and cannot see what you type.
Use the following codes:
- runscript addxp X - Adds XP in the amount of X
- runscript zz_money X - Adds copper in the amount of X – note to gain a gold piece you have to add 1000 copper pieces.
- runscript pc_immortal - Infinite health – you still lose health but won’t drop below 0 – you must do this on each character in the party if you want them all to be ‘immortal’.
- runscript zz_addparty NPCname - Add party member by name
- runscript ai off - Turns off AI – if you don’t use the immortality cheat then this is probably the most useful.
- runscript selectparty - loads the party selection screen.
- runscript chargen - Origin screen
- runscript killallhostiles - Kill all enemies
- runscript zz_addapproval X Y - Add approval to a character - I may be wrong but it seems that you have to have the relevant character in your party for this to work.
- runscript zz_addparty - Add player beyond party limit
- runscript healplayer - Heal party
- runscript bowlingforferelden - Knocks back enemies and adds a shield
- runscript zz_dropparty - Removes entire party
- runscript zz_talk_nearest - Talk to nearest NPC
- runscript zz_pre_strategy - Teleport party to Duncan's fire in Ostagar
- runscript zz_pre_demo2 - Teleport party to Ostagar
- runscript wizard - Become a Level 2 Mage
- runscript rogue - Become a level 2 Rogue
- runscript warrior - Become a Level 2 Warrior
- runscript addtalent X - Add talent or spell, where X represents a specific talent or spell (1-?).
- runscript removetalent X - Removes a talent
Character Codes for use in above cheats where applicable:
- 1 - Alistair
- 3 - Morrigan
- 5 - Shale
- 6 - Sten
- 7 - Zevran
- 9 - Eiliana
Talent Codes for use in above cheats where applicable:
- 1 - Shield Pummell
- 3 - Critical Strike
- 4 - Sunder Armor
- 7 - Punisher
- 9 - Riposte
- 10 - Cripple
- 11 - Dual Striking
- 12 - Shield Wall
- 13 - Shield Cover
- 19 - Precise Striking
- 20 - Perfect Striking
- 25 - Holy Smite
- 28 - Imdomitable
- 33 - Defensive Fire
- 38 - Assault
Be careful using some of these codes. For example, with the command "killallhostile," if you use this, you may cut out some of the plot points. In some cases, it is possible to negotiate with a "hostile" and gain further information, and killing the "hostile" stops this plotline.
Aside from the above cheats, there are a few glitches that can be exploited to help you out on your quest. Searching the web, these are the ones I have found so far. Please note I have not verified if these work! There are others available in the websites I list at the bottom, but the two below appealed to me the most!
In Ostaragar you are given a quest to collect three vials of Darkspawn Blood and the Grey Warden Treaties. However, if you simply collect the blood and don’t collect the treaties, you can talk to Duncan and chose the option “We have the blood, but not the scrolls”—you’ll get experience and then be able to repeat the conversation—keep on doing this until you reach the level cap of 25! Note: This allows you to level up your main character and Alistair only.
There are many books available for purchase that allow you to unlock Specializations. A simple way to unlock them is to save the game prior to buying the book; buy the book and unlock the specialization; reload your game, and the specialization should still be unlocked.
Have Fun, but Be Mindful
To get the best of this game I suggest that you use strategy and play all the miniquests so that you get the highest level characters that you can. However, I do realize that the game is very difficult and less patient players will resort to cheat codes to enable them to finish, hence this section! Do remember that using these codes can reduce the pleasure of finishing the game!
It is fairly easy to cheat in Dragon Age, however, you do have to alter a file so I advise that you make a backup copy of your save files. It’s possible that you could corrupt your game and have to restart or re-install.