Poppy is the author of A Bard's Lament and the Black Diamond series. She lives in Enoshima with her husband and young son.
Dragon Age: Inquisition is the latest masterpiece in the Dragon Age series by BioWare. This role-playing fantasy adventure features unique character design, dialogue options, endless quests and a captivating storyline.
Dragon Age is also famous for its many romance options with companions and members of the Inquisition. These romances are accessible depending on your character's gender and race.
It is only possible to romance Blackwall as a female, but you can be a human, Elf, Qunari or Dwarf.
You get the opportunity to meet Blackwall fairly early in the game.
- Leliana will approach you and tell you that there is speculation that the Grey Wardens may have had something to do with the death of the Divine. If you played Dragon Age: Origins, or indeed know anything about the game universe, you'll know about Grey Wardens.
- However, the Herald knows nothing about them, and therefore Leliana will give you a brief explanation.
- You will then need to head to the small body of water near Upper Lake Camp (roughly in the centre of the Hinterlands) to track down Blackwall.
- He is talking to some conscripts, and while you're talking to him, you are attacked by bandits. They are easy to defeat, and afterwards Blackwall will tell you he has no idea where the Wardens are; he hasn't been in contact with himself, recently.
- You then have some dialogue options. Choose "So what's next for us?" as this is the romantic option, the first of many in your wooing.
- Blackwall with then offer to join the inquisition. Accept his offer.
Flirting With Blackwall
You must gain a high Approval rating from Blackwall in order to romance him.
- Chat and flirt with him in Haven. Ask him about his life and his time with the Grey Wardens.
- You can tell him he's charming and express interest in his past.
- When you're out adventuring, take time to help the weak, and be fair and just in your decisions.
- Select romance options such as "You're strangely charming" whenever possible to get Blackwall's feelings for you to develop.
Blackwall's Personal Quest
Ask Blackwall about the Grey Wardens. He will confess to you that he is hoping to track down Grey Warden artifacts from all over Thedas. Make it your priority to collect these on your travels. A lot of them are easy to find by simply going to the specified place and using R3 (pressing the control pad) to track down hidden items, but some of them need some extra work.
- You need to complete the Trouble With Darkspawn sidequest to access the Vial of Darkspawn Blood in the Western Approach.
- You need to complete the sidequest Valeska's Keep and find the key before you can access Valeska's Watch, where you'll find both of the Emprise Du Lion artifcats, the Grey Warden Armour and the Joining Chalice.
- To get the Grey Warden Banner in The Fallow Mire, you must have the Inquisition perk Deft Hands, Fine Tools to unlock the door in Hargrave Keep (where you battle the Hand of Korth to free the soldiers in the Lost Souls sidequest).
- To get the Deft Hands, Fine Tools perk, you must unlock three other perks in the Secrets option when your Inquisition influence levels up. Get this perk as soon as you can, because it provides access to all locked doors in the future.
The Second Part of Blackwall's Personal Quest
The second part of Blackwall's personal quest will only happen after you have completed the main quests Here Lies the Abyss and Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts.
- If you choose to flirt with Blackwall, he will initially push you away.
- However, upon completion of the Memories of the Grey and gaining a high approval rating, a new quest for Blackwall will be triggered: Explanations.
- Travel with him to the Storm Coast to complete this quest.
- As you try to romance him, he will then be further conflicted with his feelings, and soon disappear from your party. A new quest, Revelations, will be triggered.
- Follow him to Val Royeaux where Blackwall will appear and make a shocking revelation.
- Go to the Val Royeaux prison where you will speak to Cullen. You will have several options at the War Table to decide what will happen next.
- Bring Blackwall back to Skyhold to judge him.
Read More From Levelskip
When Blackwall is brought before you to be judged, you will be faced with three dialogue options.
- "I own you." Your life continues. (This will end the relationship with Blackwall)
- "The Wardens will decide." (Only available if you've completed Here Lies the Abyss and sided with the Grey Wardens)
- "You're free, if you atone." (Choose this one to continue the romance)
Choose either of the last two options. If you have successfully romanced Blackwall up to this point, he will approach you and lay down his heart about his feelings. You will be given four dialogue options, two of which will end the relationship with him and two of which will continue it.
- "Let's start over" or
- "I couldn't let you go."
After that, you enter a full relationship with Blackwall. Quest complete!
Blackwall may not be the most popular romance option but his good heart and sweetness made him my choice on my very first Inquisition playthrough. Do you love Blackwall too? Were you shocked by his revelation? Let us know in the comments!
© 2016 Poppy
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on March 29, 2020:
Yes, Cullen is cute! There is also a Cullen romance guide if you're looking for it: https://levelskip.com/rpgs/How-to-Romance-Cullen-i...
Cayton on March 29, 2020:
Cullen is such a funny romance because he is so awkward about it and it’s very sweet
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on February 26, 2020:
I love Blackwall too. He's the least popular according to polls, but he's my first romance choice.
Moony on February 26, 2020:
I'd fall for him all time again. He's such a rough shell kind heart type. I often started other romantic relationships, but in the end always broke cullens and solace heart for blackwall to break mine... Well...
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on November 11, 2018:
What an unusual opinion! Which I love. Zevran was very charming in Origins, but I'm afraid I'll always be an Alistair fangirl since I "met" him at the tender age of 16. Zevran was very sweet when he wanted to be (my heart melted when he was teaching you assassin skills and said "It will be fun. I will make it fun, I promise!")
Blackwall was also my first choice with romance in Inquisition. His romance scene is very sweet and I love how he made a horrible choice but faces it in the end out of love for you. BioWare is excellent at their romance storylines.
Lesliewifeofbath on November 10, 2018:
With a mod that removes the beard and brings out Blackwall's sexy self, he is definitely my first choice. I am not attracted to Cullen in the least (and I disliked him in Origins). While no one will ever take the place in my heart for Zevran (Origins), I am really liking Blackwall.
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on March 26, 2018:
Blackwall is definitely a very sweet romance. I'm also romancing him on my current game :)
Zoot84 on March 24, 2018:
Now that I've replayed the game and romanced Blackwall I don't think it's possible for me to NOT romance him again.
Unless of course I make a male character.
Says the person who just created a human to see how the cutscenes play out with a taller character than my dwarf.
Aqua on January 14, 2018:
Well, he definitely doesn't fit the bill of being a cute or sexy guy so I can see why only few people choose him but honestly, knowing him better that really wouldn't have mattered to me anymore. Only thing that kept me from romancing him during the first playthrough was - I played as a guy. Now I am a female Qunari though and you can bet I am trying the Blackwall romance.
That bit about his past, yeah at first I was shocked. But then I mostly felt angry. Not at Blackwall in general or what he did but rather how he behaved after that. I just wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake him and tell him "Stop running yourself down! You have fought by my side for such a long time and were one of my best companions. So get out there and stop trying to hide under a rock!"
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on November 28, 2017:
Dude, I was so shocked. I sat there with my mouth hanging open and my stomach turned to lead haha. It was more shocking than most real-life moments. So personal too when you romance him.
Did you forgive him?
Elven Wolf on November 28, 2017:
I literally came out of my seat when I heard his revelation.
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on September 01, 2017:
People usually choose Cullen first. So glad I'm not the one who loves Blackwall! :)
Tuua Tulisalmi from Finland on September 01, 2017:
I know right?! His story is so well made that I screamed every time I got the change to talk with him. That moment in The Inquisitor room or at the ball or the barn...all of them! So romantic! x3 Makes me want to use his story every time I play this game :D
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on August 31, 2017:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he's cute! His romance story is so sweet.
Tuua Tulisalmi from Finland on August 31, 2017:
I've played this game now once and Blackwall was my first romance pick too~ I think he is so charming and good looking :D
I was really surprised of his revelation but I knew I couldn't let him go.
To be honest... I'm not sure will I ever try the other romance options over him ^w^'