I've been playing video games since the tender age of four. As a result, most of my articles are related to video games.
Nowi is one of the Manaketes that you can get in Fire Emblem: Awakening. The Manaketes are a race of dragons that had their powers limited in the olden days (predating even Marth's era over one thousand years past) by having them locked in special stones (Dragonstones in Fire Emblem: Awakening; Shadow Dragon had several types of stones for Manaketes). Curiously, every single Manakete you can get in Awakening is female.
Since shapeshifting boosts the unit's stats, it is quite possible for a Manakete to have more total stats than most (or all of the rest) of your army.
So, who is Nowi?
As noted in the introduction, Nowi is a member of the race of Manaketes, shapeshifters that can turn into dragons. She looks and acts like a child but is actually around a thousand years of age. She is rather playful and tends to act carefree, but she is fully aware of what is going on around her.
Where can I get Nowi?
Nowi is being accompanied by Gregor at the start of Chapter 8. There is no need to recruit either of them with Chrom since they automatically join your army upon their appearance.
Why should I use Nowi?
Short answer: Manakete.
Longer answer: Manaketes are just so awesome. Let's start with the bad, since there are only a few things that are bad about Nowi:
- Abysmal base stats. However, this is done to provide a measure of balance, since Dragonstones give a massive amount of stat points (notably, a whopping 10 Defense).
- As can be expected, they have the Dragon Type, which makes them vulnerable to weapons that deal effective damage to wyverns and dragons. Nowi retains said type even if her class changes, as it is a property of her race more than her base class.
However, here's why Nowi is so awesome:
- Manaketes have a 1–2 attack range, much like tome users. They deal damage based on Strength.
- As mentioned already, Dragonstones give a massive boost to stats. Once Nowi's base stats start growing, you're going to see a massive increase in Nowi's ability to stay alive and deal out punishment. She is easily in the top five best units if you take the time to get her past her relatively vulnerable early stage.
- Dragonstones do not participate in the weapon triangle. While this means that you'll never get the usual boosts for beating an inferior weapon in the triangle, this also means that nothing can trump a Dragonstone either.
- Manaketes are beautiful against flying units, since they get Wyrmsbane at 15 for the aerial threat that has the most Defense (Wyvern Riders/Wyvern Lords) and their damage scales off of Strength, and Pegasus Knights and Griffon Riders tend to not have a lot of Defense.
Should I use a Second Seal on Nowi?
About the only reason that I would fathom class changing a Manakete would be to grab Galeforce from Dark Flier and then class change back to Manakete. However, Nowi doesn't have access to Pegasus Knight. So, the answer is no.
You can use a Second Seal to revert Nowi to a Level 1 Manakete, but you need to get Nowi to Level 30 first. Otherwise, the class option will not show up on the list. Thanks to a commenter called "guy" for pointing out that I had not mentioned this.
Nowi Stat Growth Information at a Glance
Wyvern Rider/ Wyvern Lord
As you can see, Nowi's growths are really high in just about every stat, even Resistance and Magic, which are traditional no-shows for non-spellcasters. About the only stat that won't cap no matter how blessed you are with levels is HP, but that's only because Nowi has 18 base HP (she starts at Level 3, on average she will get 6 HP every 5 levels, and on average will have 50 HP at Level 30). This makes her one of your best units with little time and effort investment (just toss her a Seraph Robe or two and she will be golden).
Nowi Skill Information at a Glance
Hit and Avoid +10 during odd numbered Turns
Deals effective damage to dragon units when user is a Manakete
Read More From Levelskip
Should you keep Nowi as a Manakete (which I highly recommend), then she stands to get two skills (the first of which she already has upon being recruited). Odd Rhythm serves as the opposite of Taguels' Even Rhythm, having an equal effect, but on opposite turns.
The second skill a Manakete can get is Wyrmsbane, which allows a Manakete to deal effective damage to dragon units when morphed into a Manakete. So, this makes Nowi absolutely vicious against enemy Wyvern Riders, given that they possess the Dragon typing.
There's not much else to say about Nowi's skills. They're not flashy, but they get the job done, which is what counts.
Tips and Tricks for Using Nowi
- Nowi starts with 18 HP and 2 base Defense. While Dragonstones grants ten more Defense, you'll still want to keep Nowi protected against enemy threats while she gets some levels.
- However, once Nowi starts getting some HP and Defense, you can have her protect the front lines. Just be careful you don't get attacked by units with Wyrmslayers.
- You get Nowi on Chapter 8 and can't purchase additional Dragonstones until Chapter 12. Keeping that in mind, make sure that you have her Pair Up with allied units if her Dragonstone is running out of uses. A shapeshifter that can't shapeshift is a sitting duck.
- Don't forget that Manaketes can attack at 2 range. Exploit that to get free hits against enemies that rely on melee weapons.
- Nowi's child is one of the few Manaketes you can get in Fire Emblem: Awakening, and can easily surpass her mother with little difficulty. If you had to marry only one unit (well, Chrom has to marry, but I mean non-plot essential), I would pick Nowi.
Nowi's Possible Supports
|Possible Husbands||Other Possible Supports|
My Unit [Male], Frederick, Virion, Stahl, Vaike, Kellam, Lon'qu, Ricken, Gaius, Donnel, Gregorr, Libra, Henry
My Unit [Female], Tharja, Cherche
In conclusion, Nowi belongs to my favorite race of shapeshifters in Fire Emblem: Awakening and brings with her a level of versatility that most other units would love to have. She is rather vulnerable at the start of her existence, but feed her some levels and watch her stat growths turn her into one of Awakening's top units!
Feel free to talk about Nowi and things related to her in the comments section. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions if something in this article is unclear!
Until the next time, take care and have fun!
Jerry on December 19, 2015:
Having Nowi marry male MU is probably the single best pairing. The game becomes totally broken even on lunatic+. Yes it takes some grinding, but having Morgan and Nah with limit breaker, aegis, vantage, wrath, and tome breaker is ungodly. Swap out aegis for arms thrift and make them swordmasters with timeless gear or a max crit killing edge or brave sword for extra fun
albert on August 12, 2014:
It should also be noted that Nowi's resistance and strength growth total is much higher than that of Sumia and Libra, meaning she makes a much better mage killer than either two. Not to mention that 2-range is perfect for pesky thoron/rexcalibur wielders.
Todd on January 31, 2014:
I changed Nowi into a Dark Knight and picked up Lifetaker. I then changed her back into a manakete. I can now send her off on her own, and she not only kicks effective butt, but heals herself.
Namese LoL on July 23, 2013:
I changed Nowi to a wyvern lord, nabbing sword breaker, which means +50 avoid against wyrmslayer, making her almost impervious to wyrmslayer. Morgan and Nah has SWBK+galeforce and they stomp everything alongside their mother and father
youdon'tneedtoknowmyname on July 08, 2013:
You forgot to mention that if you have nowi marry donnel, Nah (their child) inherits donnel's amazing skill that lets his stats go up insane amounts. This mean, that if you have nowi and donnel make a baby, the final product will basically be a donnel that can use a dragonstone.
Darrin Perez (author) from Puerto Rico on June 10, 2013:
Sure, it's perfectly fine, except that's she like a thousand years old. Besides that, it's okay. :P
FE11 on June 10, 2013:
Okay, as a younger player (I'm 12), Is it so wrong that I think Nowi is the hottest girl ever? My only regret is that she can' t be a sorcerer. I'd love to see her in a swimsuit during summer scramble!
Darrin Perez (author) from Puerto Rico on March 03, 2013:
I found that out a few days ago, but thank you for pointing that out. Been so busy with these hubs that I didn't even notice the oversight and, thus, hadn't fixed it yet.
Thanks guy! :)
guy on March 03, 2013:
You're aware that using a Second Seal on a Lv. 30 Manakete will let them class change into a Manakete again, right? Meaning Nowi can max her HP by just class changing at Lv. 30 and continuing to level up from there.