"GTA Online" helped get me through a hard part of my life. When you spend THAT much time with a game, you can't help but write about it.
Sometimes, it's hard to find a friend, and sometimes, it's hard to wait for one. That's why I've created this guide to help you complete the missions from GTA Online, solo-style (though sometimes it's necessary to have a partner). Some missions will get removed or added back from update to update.
Quick Reference Guide
Some of these missions, mainly the low-level ones, can be played at any Rank, but all missions open up at a particular Rank. This guide was written using a Rank 185+ character, but I mention at the end of each mission recommended Ranks on a case-by-case basis and why they are recommended. In this guide, I will also list the following at the beginning of each mission:
- Given By: The character in the game that gives you the mission. Lamar, Simeon, and Gerald give you lower level missions, while Ron, Lester, and Martin give you tougher missions, but with better pay.
- Rank Unlocked: You cannot get this mission until you have achieved this Rank. You can be invited to any Mission regardless of your level, but you should not bite off more than you can chew.
- Possible Pay (after patch 1.16): I started writing this guide before Patch 1.16, but the mission payouts get adjusted, from update to update. I will post here what I got for the strategy you will read. Just keep in mind that the pay is time-based, so the keyword here is “possible." Results may vary.
- Weapon(s) Recommended: Once again, if you are a particular Rank, then you probably won’t have the weapon(s) I recommend. You should be at least Rank 60 so that you have a Grenade Launcher. 120 would be even better so that you have everything, but unlike Solo Survival, I have to judge each mission as it comes. I'm going to be vague with the weapon selection unless the mission is best played with certain ones. New updates come out with new weapons and everyone has a different preference, so this will be mainly open to those options.
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: In GTA Online, you can buy and store up to 20 vehicles (as of September 16th, 2014). You should have at least one of each vehicle type in your garage (for Races), in addition to whatever you fancy. Here is where I will point out the best Vehicle for a particular mission. Most missions will require speed but some will require a strong battering ram approach.
- Best Place to Launch Mission: Sometimes, you get invited to a mission and it starts halfway across the map in somebody’s garage. That’s not kosher . . . There was a time when Rockstar had us start at the mission’s most important point, and that is the case with some or when Replaying it from the voting screen, but when you’re playing a Solo Mission, this spot is where you want to be when you launch it.
- Rank Recommended: What Rank should you tackle this with? Would bringing another player along be a good idea? What items are necessary or helpful? Does anything differ version to version?
Other Ways to Play Solo in "GTA Online"
San Andreas Seoul
- Given By: Lamar
- Rank Unlocked: 16
- Possible Pay: $7,110 (after patch 1.16) $9,980 (after patch 1.30)
- Weapon(s) Recommended: None
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: Any
- Best Place to Launch Mission: Clothing Store near Vespucci Beach (Binco)
- Rank Recommended: You could complete this mission Solo at Rank 0 if you had to. I’m not saying it’s easy I’m just . . . yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m saying.
Steal the Tanker
Drive around the corner and get in the truck cab of the tanker. You could shoot the workers with a pistol or fight them directly with melee, but this will cause the police to come sooner. You can drive away from them without trouble and this will cause a delay before the police response.
Lose the Cops
You will receive a two-star Wanted Level. Drive away from the gas station. If you did not fire any shots on the workers then there should not be any nearby cruisers. Take this opportunity to do the Accessories trick and remove a star. Keep driving east, avoiding the blue vision cones. Remember you can leave the tanker and hide on foot too.
Deliver the Tanker to the Depot
Once you get rid of the cops the only challenge now is not blowing up the tanker as you run over things to kill the boredom of a long haul. Just drive to the depot and stop in the yellow marker.
- Given By: Trevor
- Rank Unlocked: 60
- Possible Pay: $15,120 (still the same after patch 1.30)
- Weapon(s) Recommended: Assault Rifle, Grenades
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: Any
- Best Place to Launch Mission: Observatory (see first picture)
- Rank Recommended: At Rank 60, you can complete this mission Solo. The Special Carbine comes in handy . . . then again, when does it NOT?
Steal the Trailer
Get in your PV and set a Quick GPS waypoint on the trailer. As you drive there, make note of the dirst road that is not marked along the route (see second picture). Remember this road for later, and go easy around it. Once you get to the top of the hill, take cover behind the construction office unit (see third picture). Kill the initial Lost gang members here, plus any that respond. Go into the yard along the left (South) side taking cover as you go. The Lost will also be in cover AND have shotguns. Keep your distance and pick them off one-by-one. Once the area’s clear re-heal and get in the truck cab of the trailer.
Deliver the Trailer to the Gas Station
You would think that the hard part is over. It typically would be if the trailer didn’t seem like it was made out of paper. If you so much as crash too hard into something the mission fails. As you follow the GPS route make use of that dirt road from earlier. It’s a little tight, but you can negotiate it at a steady speed. Just watch out for the telephone pole at the end, once you get to asphalt. That thing can wreck the mission. After that road, follow the GPS route to the letter. You should concentrate more on taking on the Lost. Like in “Out of Harmony” ram oncoming Lost motorcycles but DON’T DRIVE OVER THEM. The trailer’s wheels will ignite the gas tank and blow up. No more than three motorcycles will pursue you at once, and the trailer is essentially bulletproof. Apart from taking out Lost focus on not jack-knifing, crashing into anything, or blowing up while making the long drive to the gas station.
Note: This mission can be a little testy. For example, I had to play it about eight times before I wrote this walkthrough. Strange right? You wouldn’t think this mission can be THAT complicated, but it can be. Bring a friend along if you want someone to run interference on the Lost while you work on not wrecking the fragile trailer.
Read More From Levelskip
Show Me the Monet
- Given By: Martin
- Rank Unlocked: 55
- Possible Pay: $12,780 (after patch 1.16) $14,190 (after patch 1.30)
- Weapon(s) Recommended: Sniper Rifle, Grenade Launcher, Light Machine Gun
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: Any
- Best Place to Launch Mission: Convenience Store in Vespucci Canals
- Recommended Rank: Wait for another five Ranks to unlock the Grenade Launcher before attempting this mission. You can take out the helicopter with an MG just fine, especially since you can auto-target the door gunners with it. You don’t actually have to destroy the chopper, just the guys shooting at you from it.
Steal the Van
From where you spawn, drive around the corner into the parking garage with the multi-colored panels (see first picture). The van will soon drive near this position, on the way to the docks. Equip a sniper rifle and zoom all the way in, targeting the driver. The passenger will push the dead driver out and take over. You might not be able to see HIS head through the splatter on the inside of the windshield but shoot him too as he drives the van toward you. Run to the van and get in.
Deliver the Van to Madrazo’s Lockup
Drive the van into the parking garage and up into the ramp on the left (see second picture). This will keep it safe during the following gun battle. Use your Grenade Launcher on the first responding Patriots full of Merryweather mercs. As well as a light machine gun on any mercs outside of their vehicles from the wall overlooking the street (see third picture). Eventually, a helicopter with Merryweather, using their own LMGs, will get to your location. Use whatever anti-aircraft means you prefer, it’s only a Frogger so the only threats are the door gunners. Once the area’s clear, the only hard part will be making the long drive to Madrazo’s lock-up.
Stick Up the Stickup Crew
- Given By: Martin
- Rank Unlocked: 40
- Possible Pay: $20,400 (after patch 1.16) $18,360 (after patch 1.30)
- Weapon(s) Recommended: Parachute, Heavy Sniper, Light Machine Gun, Grenades, RPG
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: Something fast
- Best Place to Launch Mission: The Ammunation in Little Seoul
- Rank Recommended: Wait until Rank 60 to unlock the Grenade Launcher, by that point you will also have an MG.
Steal the Truck
Pause the game and open the map. Place a Waypoint on the La Puerta Freeway Bridge (see first picture). Go into the Ammunation and buy a Parachute if you don’t have one already. Now drive to the Waypoint you set and you should see a ship docked below on the left. Jump over the left side of the bridge, and immediately pull your chute. Glide to the top (or near the top) of the docked ship and climb to the top (see second picture). Equip your Heavy Sniper and pick off the gunmen around the area, but not the ones standing by the truck. Save those three for last, since the whole area doesn’t go on alert until you shoot them. Once the dock is on alert, they are just going to keep respawning. Equip your light machine gun and make your way down to the dock. Take cover (where you can) and thin out the group of enemies as you shoot your way to the truck. Once there, get in. Don’t bother hunkering down and killing all of the guys first, they just keep coming.
Deliver the Truck to Madrazo’s Lock-Up
Once out of the docks, go left. You will come to a fork in the road, go down the road on the right that leads to another dock area (see third picture). Get out of the truck and make your stand here, taking cover behind anything facing the road you just used. You might even consider dropping a Proximity Mine, or two, Use your Grenade Launcher or RPG on the enemy vehicles that will seem like an endless wave. Make sure to save a rocket for the enemy helicopter flying around or use your Minigun. Once the smoke clears make the tedious drive to Madrazo’s lockup.
Note: You don’t really need to bring a second player with you on this mission, but you should—and not because it's difficult. There are a lot of cool possibilities for coordination given the different approaches of the dockyard.
Stocks and Scares
- Given By: Lester
- Rank Unlocked: 70
- Possible Pay: $22,200 (after patch 1.16) $19,980 (after patch 1.32)
- Weapon(s) Recommended: Heavy Sniper, LMG, Proximity Mines, Tear Gas Grenades, Heavy Shotgun, Grenade Launcher
- Personal Vehicle Recommended: Any that provides good cover
- Best Place to Launch Mission: Doesn’t seem to matter
- Rank Recommended: At Rank 70, the standard Sniper Rifle is sufficient but just realize that even the Heavy Sniper takes two body shots to kill Merryweather in this mission. It could be more with the normal Sniper Rifle. So wait until Rank 90, that is if you don’t want to do the go-up-the-stairs-through-the-front-door approach. Spoiler alert: IT WILL KILL YOU.
Go to the Merryweather Office
Get in your Personal Vehicle and drive to the staircase in the first picture. Ignore the mercenaries as you do. Run up the stairs and follow the catwalk. Equip your Heavy Sniper and pick off mercs from up here (see second picture). Keep in mind that they’ll keep respawning in this mission (like Dry Docking). It still helps to thin the herd, just don’t focus on it. Continue along the catwalk and down the stairs to the dock. Take cover behind the blue beams as you make your way along the dock, obviously taking out Merryweather as you go. Stopping to re-heal is kind of a moot point since the respawning enemies will flank you once you get to the main dock. So don’t hold up behind a cover spot for too long. Once you get close to the door (that I told you to ignore earlier), just make a run for it to the stairs that lead up to the Merryweather office. Run-and-gun is actually useful at that point.
Hack the Terminal
The hacking mini-game is the same as it is in Single Player. Place a Proximity Mine on the stairs, by the landing. Then press right on the D-pad by the terminal. The hacking mini-game is the same as it is in Single Player. If you’re not familiar with it just read the tutorials that appear at the upper left corner of the screen.