Matt Bird writes all sorts of nonsense, but he dedicates a large chunk of his time to writing game walkthroughs.
Had fun fighting the Godskin Apostle and Godskin Noble in the past? Ever wondered what it would be like to fight both of them at the same time? Wonder no more! As one of the compulsory battles of Crumbling Farum Azula, the Godskin Duo is a nightmare fight like few others in Elden Ring. With dogged, deadly grace, this pair will follow you around their battlefield, making you wish you'd never been born with every attack.
This guide will help you defeat the Godskin Duo in Elden Ring. Don't worry, this fight is very doable - but you'll probably need to practice a bit before you get it down.
Finding the Godskin Duo
The Godskin Duo are the first boss you'll fight in Crumbling Farum Azula, the last mandatory dungeon in Elden Ring. You can't get through the game without beating these guys, and so you'll run across them naturally.
That said, you can tip the odds in your favor a bit. There are multiple ways to enter their boss battle, and the best by far is on a semi-hidden path. Once you reach the Dragon Temple Site of Grace, look down the ledge behind you. You'll see stairs below. You can drop onto these stairs, then down to another ledge, to access the lower half of the Dragon Temple. This will lead you to the Dragon Temple Transept Site of Grace, which is just outside the boss arena. You can also use a summon sign here to bring Recusant Bernhal into the fight, making your job much easier.
Godskin Duo's Moveset
The Godskin Duo fight the same as they have in previous battles, the primary difference being that you'll have to fight them simultaneously. You can expect the following moves from the Godskin Apostle:
- In the first phase the Godskin Apostle will primarily stick to melee attacks with his twinblade, slicing at you from a bit of a distance and whirling his weapon around. Nothing too crazy.
- In the second phase, however, the Godskin Apostle will begin to stretch, allowing him to perform medium- to long-range swipes and spins that can hit multiple targets at once. If you get in close to the Apostle's torso you can wallop it without getting hit by his blades.
The Godskin Noble is a bit more aggressive than the Apostle, and has the following moveset:
- In the first phase the Noble will follow you around and try to skewer you with quick rapier attacks that have a surprising range. He'll also use area of effect black fire magic to roast sections of the floor around him.
- The Noble becomes far more mobile in the second phase. Using his coat, the Noble will roll up into a ball and fly around the room, destroying pillars and knocking everyone down. He can also float into the air and slam into the ground as an area of effect attack. These attacks in conjunction with the rapier are quite painful.
Both Godskins can also hurl black flames at you, and will often do so when you're trying to use your Flask to heal.
Read More From Levelskip
Beating the Godskin Duo
The trick to this fight is the Duo's health bar. Though each Godskin has his own health, which appears above his head, they also share a health bar at the bottom of the screen. Whenever you hit either one of them this shared health bar also takes a hit. Depleting it will end the battle. This also means, however, that if you kill one of the Godskins, they will reenter the fight after about a minute, and with full health to boot. Fortunately this means they will no longer be in their second, more dangerous phase, but still.
This fight is all about controlling your space, and will play out very differently if you decide to fight the pair solo. It's definitely not recommended to fight them alone, but... you can...
If you want to defeat the Godskin Duo solo then you need to be on the move at all times. Use the pillars around the arena to separate yourself from one member of the duo while smacking or otherwise assaulting the other one, dodging attacks as appropriate. Continue to circle around the area at all times, avoiding corners and getting away from the pair if they get too close together. Getting hit by both of them simultaneously will usually kill you.
Though it's possible to fight the Duo alone with a melee character, you'll have more trouble than if you're fighting at a range. If you plan to use a melee weapon then expect to take a lot of extra hits. A shield will really help, so long as you keep an eye on your Stamina. Run away from the Duo if you start to get low. If you plan to fight at a range your primary enemy will be black flame fireballs, so use the pillars as cover as much as you can.
Though the choice is yours, you will have an easier time fighting the Godskin Duo alone if you focus only on the Godskin Apostles. When taken into their second phase Godskin Nobles will begin to roll around, making them a much wilier and more difficult target to deal with. They will also destroy pillars, robbing you of cover.
Fighting With Help
Unless you are extremely skilled you will have a tough time fighting this battle alone. You have three options:
- Summon Spirit Ashes. Using only Spirit Ashes will forego health boosts to the Duo and still provide the distractions you need to get through the fight.
- Summon Recusant Bernhal. Bernhal has good staying power and can more than keep one of the members of the Duo busy for you.
- Summon another player. Your mileage will vary with the player. They may slaughter the duo for you, or... die instantly. Who knows?
If you want perhaps the easiest fight possible, summon Bernhal and the strongest Spirit Ash you have. Bernhal can handle one member of the Duo while you and the Spirit Ash take out the other one. Then all three of you can manhandle the remaining member. Continue to defeat the Godskins as they respawn until they run out of health and perish.
Regardless of your approach, do your best to avoid fighting two Godskins in the second phase. They become much more dangerous in the second phase, and will move around the room with greater speed. It's very difficult to track a stretchy Apostle and a Noble that's rolling around simultaneously. Do your best to whittle their health down to zero if you see either one of them rise into the air, then finish the weaker Godskin off before they can do too much damage.
You'll earn 127,500 Runes, the Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing, and Ash of War: Black Flame Tornado for defeating the Godskin Duo. You'll also reveal the Dragon Temple Altar Site of Grace, which will allow you to continue deeper into Crumbling Frum Azula. (Though, to be fair, what's waiting probably won't be as difficult as this fight, so pat yourself on the back.)