Poppy is the author of "A Bard's Lament." She lives in Enoshima and likes to read novels and play video games, especially open-world RPGs.
Romancing is one of the many delightful features of the latest epic in the fantasy role-playing game series Dragon Age by BioWare. In Inquisition, there are eight characters who are possible to romance—although, depending on your character's race and gender, some may not be accessible. These include Cullen, Dorian, Cassandra, Sera, Blackwall, Josephine, Solas and Iron Bull.
Unlike most of the other characters (barring Josephine), it is possible to romance Iron Bull regardless of whether you're male or female, or if you're a human, a Dwarf, an Elf or a Qunari. The Bull isn't fussy, making it quite easy to get him to fall for you.
First Meeting Iron Bull
While you're in Haven (and after you have visited the Hinterlands to meet Mother Giselle), a member of a mercenary group will wait outside the Chantry in Haven, claiming that he has a message to deliver, but no one will listen to him.
- Select the dialogue option that asks him to tell you the message. You will be asked to head to the Storm Coast to meet with an interested party called the Chargers, who are willing to work with the Inquisition.
- Head to the Storm Coast and to the meeting point to stumble across a battle - kill the bad guys and chat with the leader of the Chargers: The Iron Bull.
- Bull is friendly and requests that he joins forces with the Inquisition. Welcome him into the group, and he'll become an agent.
Gaining a high Approval rating is fairly easy with Iron Bull. As an excellent Warrior tank, he's good to keep around in your adventures anyway. Upon defeating Tevinter soldiers, his Approval raises slightly. And if you defeat a High Dragon with him on your team, his Approval shoots up quickly.
- Upon defeating a Dragon, approach him in the tavern. This triggers a scene where Bull insists you drink with him.
- Simply drink and don't reject anything he says.
- Upon toasting dragons, select the dialogue option "to you" and toast him.
Romantic Dialogue Options
Flirt with Iron Bull whenever possible. Show interest in the Qunari and respect his beliefs towards the Qun.
- Upon a decent Approval rating, approach him in the tavern where he and Krem, a member of the Chargers, are brawling. Iron Bull will tell you about a letter he recieved, triggering a quest to go back to the Storm Coast.
- During this quest, you'll face a moral dilemma. The choice you make doesn't actually affect your chances of romancing Iron Bull, but it does affect other aspects of the storyline.
- You and Bull will head back to Skyhold and he'll talk about whichever choice you made.
- Upon flirting enough and gaining a high enough Approval, Iron Bull will appear in your quarters.
- It'll follow with an amusing dialogue involving Bull admitting he 'got your hints' and he knows you'd like to 'ride the Bull'.
- To make it happen, simply don't reject him, and he's yours. Well, almost.
Going from Casual to Serious
Iron Bull is a Qunari, and to them, sex is for fun, not for love. At any point now you have the chance to break off the romance with Bull (but you can't restart it later).
- If you'd like to make it serious, approach Bull again and ask him, "Are we serious?"
- Iron Bull will tell you that there is an old tradition involving making necklaces from a Dragon's Tooth, and thus the quest "Tough Love" is initiated.
- If you'd like to present this gift to Iron Bull and commit to your relationship with him, seek out a Dragon and some Obsidian (obtainable from the Hinterlands, Crestwood, the Emerald Graves and the Exalted Plains).
- If this is your first Dragon, it might be a good idea to fight the Fereldan Frostback in the north of the Hinterlands, as it is only level 12 and with a decent Mage and a level of around 15 or higher, you'll be able to defeat it fairly easily.
- When you've collected a Dragon's Tooth and enough Obsidian, head to a requisition table to craft the item for Bull.
- Approach him once again and it'll follow with one of the funniest scenes in the game.
- Give him the necklace, and Iron Bull will affectionately call you 'Kadan,' which means "my heart."
Iron Bull loves to drink, laze around and flirt with the servants at Skyhold, but the casual sex ends once he's in a committed relationship with you. He's oddly charming, tough and sexy, and a great romance option for any of your characters. Have you got a soft spot for Iron Bull? Join the discussion below!
© 2016 Poppy
Jonathan on September 09, 2020:
He really isn't like any other Qunari. Early on he says how the Qunari don't have sex with romantic attachment and if they do they get sent to sexual healers to be rid of it. In one of his final romance scenes you can finally tell him you love him and he admits he loves you too. Plus, he just does BDSM right. They both enjoy each other and the last thing he ever wants to do is actually hurt the inquisitor.
I also gotta love how half of Ferelden walks in on the both of you. The inquisitor is so defensive of his Bull.
Nate on May 24, 2020:
Dont forget, if you choose to do the Templar Quest, Iron Bull Greatly Approves when you keep them together as allies
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on February 06, 2020:
He appears in the end cutscene of the game, but other than that I'm not sure.
Emery on February 06, 2020:
Is there anymore “ cutscenes “ after you give Iron Bull the dragon necklace? I know of the kissing one but after that nothing
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on February 23, 2019:
Complete "Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts" (and take Iron Bull and dance with him). It might trigger after that quest.
Freddie on February 23, 2019:
Question, I've come as far as "riding the bull" but after that no more romance options are avaialble. No necklace either. I've flirted and answered all his questions positively, but Tough Love wont trigger. Any ideas?
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on February 08, 2019:
I agree. He's just lovely.
Softpatate on February 08, 2019:
Same as Tabby. He cares and he is accepting of everyone.
Poppy (author) from Enoshima, Japan on January 04, 2019:
Yes, he's a fun romance!
Heather Gray on January 04, 2019:
Best sex scenes ever. I love him!
Tabby on February 19, 2017:
The way he is accepting of others and how much he cares for his chargers is just adorable.
AdaarRogue on December 03, 2016:
my fav. thing about Bull? all of the above!