How to Romance Sera in Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition is a roleplaying epic fantasy game, the latest in the fantastic Dragon Age series by Bioware. One of the many great features of this game is the ability to romance certain characters; in this case, there are eight possible romantic relationships you can pursue, although these depend on your own character's gender and race.
Bioware is happily LGBT-friendly, and has been expressing this since Dragon Age: Origins where Leliana, Zevran, and Isabela were bisexual.
Despite threats to boycott and general shock from certain countries, Dragon Age: Inquisition provided us with a fresh batch of gay and pansexual characters. Sera, for example, is a lesbian, and is only possible to romance if your character is female.
*Note, you can romance Sera as any race, but she especially loves Qunari and Dwarf women.
Sera is a funny character, often babbling in nonsense though at heart, she's a good person. She completely rejects people who are too “elfy,” and loves to “stick little baddies with little arrows.”
You first meet her after the scrap in Val Royeaux, where the Templars basically tell you to stick the Breach up your unmentionable, giving you a choice between helping the Templars and the Mages in a later mission.
Cassandra will exclaim "What's this? An arrow with a message?" shortly after the cutscene. Pick up the arrow, and "A Friend of Red Jenny" quest will be activated. The group has hidden clues around the city to track down a location. To find the clues:
- Head to the locations marked on your map. You sometimes will need to use the available fast travel points.
- Use the search feature (R3 for Playstation or the V key for PC)
- Pick up the three hidden red items
This opens a new location. Travel there to fight through some easy bandits, and watch the cutscene where Sera appears.
Depending on your race, she'll react slightly differently to you. The Qunari reaction is the best, but it doesn't matter what race you chose; it is possible to romance her if you're an elf, a dwarf or a human, too.
Sera will request to join the Inquisition. Accept her offer.
Why do you like Sera?
- 14% Her looks; she's hot!
- 29% She's so funny!
- 38% She's carefree and laughs a lot
- 20% She's the best lesbian option
Sera hangs out in the tavern in Haven. Approach her as soon as you can. You'll sit down with her and have a chat. Make sure you do this before the “In Your Heart Shall Burn” quest.
Select "you think it should be easy" to gain a little approval, and then flirt by selecting the romance option "I think I'll like you too."
Choosing Between the Mages and the Templars
When it comes to choosing between the Mages and the Templars, you have two choices that would make Sera greatly approve, giving you a nice boost to her approval rating. These are:
- Choose the templars and disband them (Solas and Cole will also greatly approve, but you will lose approval from Cassandra, Blackwall, Iron Bull, Vivienne and Dorian).
- Choose the mages and conscript them (also gaining approval from Iron Bull and Vivienne, but losing approval from Cole, Solas, Dorian and Blackwall).
Approval in Skyhold
Chat to her in Skyhold and choose any option EXCEPT "Andraste? Not an elven god?" (elf character only). This affects the next line. Depending which one pops up:
Select the romance option "Thanks for the 'pretty' part." or
Select the romance option "I hope there's more you want."
If you're a Qunari or a Dwarf, you will gain more approval than if you're a human or an elf.
Next, complete “The Vierchiel March” quest and speak to Warden in Crestwood as soon as you are able. Approach her again and if you have an approval score of at least 35 (which you should have if you have followed the previous steps) she will ask you if you want to pull some pranks with her. Select the romance option "time with you sounds like fun".
Agree with Sera on all the pranks and when Solas calls "Who is up there?" select "Run!" for approval. Then select "Anything to keep us inspired."
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts
If you choose to take Sera with you to the Winter Palace, an extra quest will appear: “Red Jenny's Stashes.” Finding one of the stashes grants you some approval from Sera. If you don't take her with you, this quest is not available.
Approach her at the ball and select "how are you fitting in?" ONLY if your Court Approval is 60 or lower. Also, ask her to dance.
When it comes to making a decision between supporting Briala, Celine or Gaspard, you can either:
- Say "I'll talk with Florianne" and then "Take her away" OR
- "Detain the Duchess" OR
- Call for a public truce, then select "Work together for Orlais" then "You've been outplayed" or "you work for me now." All of these earn Sera's approval.
- DO NOT select "Wait for Florianne to attack" as Sera will greatly disapprove.
- If Celene rules alone, select the option "No. Spare Gaspard's life." This will only be available if you have sufficient Court Approval.
You'll see a sweet scene where Sera will dance with you.
After you've completed "Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts":
Approach Sera's room in the tavern where she's having a tantrum. Select any of the options when you're standing outside her door, and when inside, select:
- "Earwigs. That'd stop a ball."
- "Their mistakes made it worse."
After you've completed "Here Lies the Abyss":
Approach Sera again and select the following:
- "A difficult time for everyone" OR "All I know is we lost people."
- "What do you remember" OR "What was the Blight like?"
Go talk to Sera and she'll ask you to go somewhere alone with her. Select the romance option "I'm ready for anything."
Sera will eat some cookies with you. Select any of the dialogue options; whatever feels right to you, as these won't affect her approval. Then select:
- "Throwing them sounds like fun!"
- "I look forward to it."
- "I'm annoyed but also grateful!" or "Hold on, let's calm down!"
After you've completed the quest "What Pride Had Wrought", Sera will ask to talk to you about Mythal.
- The first dialogue options have no approval change, so you can select any of them.
- When she asks "This threat was a test?" select any of the options EXCEPT "Never again, you hear me?"
- "I agree it was all lies."
By now, Sera will be comfortable enough to talk to you about her past. Ask her questions, but avoid remarks like "it's nice getting to know another elf" (elf character only) and "don't keep secrets."
Eventually, Sera will respond to your advance of "I'm interested in you."
Sera will say that she bought you a hat, and you character will worry about getting her a present (aww!) Ask the rest of your companions for advice on what to get her, and after that, approach her in her room. Cue the romance scene!
Many players of Dragon Age: Inquisition agree that Sera is one of the most entertaining romantic relationships of them all. With this guide, you'll be losing your breeches with her in no time. Have fun!
© 2016 Poppy