LudoLogic is passionate about games. They enjoy sharing their gaming expertise with the community.
Octopath Traveler is fairly simple by RPG standards. However, when you factor in the game's job system, there's quite a lot of choice on offer when it comes to deciding on how to develop your characters.
In this guide, I'll be covering the Apothecary's job functions. I'll be highlighting some of the best skills to take advantage of and how best to use complimentary jobs and skills to maximise this character's effectiveness.
In all RPGs such as these, going back to Final Fantasy V, there's a wealth of options to consider, and I by no means intend these to be the definitive "best" builds of any of the characters. Instead, think of them as a point in the right direction in how best to use each of your party members. These sample builds assume you have unlocked all eight basic classes but don’t factor in the four additional jobs that can be acquired later in the game.
As always, if you think I've overlooked a particular strategy, don't hesitate to leave a comment.
Path Action: Inquire – Learn new information from people.
Talent: Concoct – Create potions and substance from ingredients to aid allies or harm foes in battle.
- Max HP +20%
- Physical Attack +1.5%
- Physical Defence + 1.5%
- Critical + 1.5%
- Elemental Attack +1.5%
- First Aid (4SP) - Restore HP to a single ally.
- Icicle (7SP) - Deal ice damage to a single foe.
- Rehabilitate (10SP) - Cure a single ally of all status ailments and render them immune to further ailments for two turns.
- Amputation (8SP) - Unleash an axe attack on a single foe.
- Empoison (6SP) - Poison a single foe for two turns.
- Vivify (16SP) - Revive a single incapacitated ally.
- Last Stand (16SP) - Attack all foes with an axe, dealing damage inversely proportional to your current HP.
- Dohter's Charity (30SP) - For three turns, items used by a single chosen ally will affect all.
- Inspiration - With each successful standard attack, gain SP equal to 1% of the damage you deal.
- Hale and Hearty - Increases maximum HP by 500.
- Resist Ailments - Improves resistance to poison, sleep, confusion, blindness, silence, terror and unconsciousness.
- Heightened Healing - Gain an additional 30% of SP when being healed or restored.
Alfyn is something of an all-rounder in Octopath Traveler. Whilst not quite a complete jack-of-all-trades like Tress, Alfyn possesses physical based attacks with his axe, a single-target ice skill in Icicle and a number of healing abilities between First Aid, Vivify and his Concoct talent.
Concoct is by far the most potent ability that Alfyn has going for him, and is easily one of the most unique talent abilities in the game. As in other Square Enix titles, the ability allows Alfyn to mix two consumable items together to produce a unique effect, ranging from party-wide healing to harmful debuffs on the enemy.
Alfyn's stat bonuses also highlight his fairly open-ended nature when it comes to developing him. He possesses a monstrous boost to his HP stat but little else that helps point him in a particular direction.
His primary shortcoming (aside from his versatility, which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it), is that he lacks decent type coverage. With axes as his only equippable weapon, and ice has his only magic type, he'll struggle to break certain enemies. This makes it all the more important to consider carefully what party composition he fits into, and what job he should take as his secondary class.
Sample Build: Hedge Knight
Secondary Job: Warrior
- Endless Items
- Heightened Healing
- Summon Strength/Cover
This build is the obvious combo with the Apothecary's naturally high HP. The Warrior brings more attacking options, along with plenty of buffs that can make Alfyn a better fighter. Note that this build leans more on the tanky side of things rather than on raw damage dealing. Persistence lends itself to this by extending the length of the Warrior's buffs, and Cover is a potential consideration so that Alfyn can soak up some damage from your more fragile party members.
The Warrior job also helps round out Alfyn's otherwise limited type coverage. With the option to now equip both swords and polearms, Alfyn is much better equipped to help break enemy mobs and exploit type advantages.
It's worth noting that Endless Items is here because it does combo with Alfyn's Concoct talent. With this ability equipped, your supply of consumables will stretch just that bit further.