Sigbog is an avid Level 40 "Pokémon GO" player and raider with lots of knowledge and experience to draw from.
Clocking in at 53394 CP, Dialga packs a powerful punch and has more CP than many other legendary raids. Though he's not a pushover, simulators estimate that it takes roughly four reasonably strong players to take him down.
Preparing for a Raid
Seasoned raiders can skip this section, but if you're new to raiding you may want to check out these points.
I'll go over building a team of ideal counters next, but before that you need to prep a handful of things to set yourself up properly. You can skip this if you're a regular raider.
- Check your local Pokémon GO group, Discord, Facebook, etc. to see who wants to join the raid . . . unless you're rocking six phones plus six high-level accounts by yourself and know how to tap with your toes. When you find enough people, set a time, and figure out how lenient you can be with how late people are. 'Hard start' refers to starting at the stated time no matter what.
- If you can, take gym control over to your color before the start of the raid. This will give you two extra balls to use against Rayquaza after you complete the raid.
- Bring your friends! Bringing high-level friends into raids will grant you extra attack damage to Rayquaza and extra balls at the end of the raid.
Building the Perfect Team
Dialga is Dragon and Steel type, which means you should be using a team with Fighting or Dragon type Pokémon, though with Dragon you would be countering yourself as well. This leaves the top tier fighting Pokémon all pretty much the best to use against Dialga, especially if they have dual fighting moves.
The top counters are:
- Machamp with Counter / Dynamic Punch (Overall #1 in speed!)
- Hariyama with Counter / Dynamic Punch
- Breloom with Counter / Dynamic Punch
- Heracross with Counter / Dynamic Punch
- Lucario with Counter / Dynamic Punch (you notice a trend yet?)
- Blaziken with Counter / Focus Blast
- Rayquaza with Dragon Tail / Outrage
- Dialga with with Dragon Breath / Draco Meteor
- Dragonite with Dragon Tail / Outrage
- Latios with Dragon Breath / Dragon Claw
I think you're getting the picture. If you don't already have a team of Machamps, you should make one! Machamp, in my opinion, is the second most useful Pokémon in all of Pokémon GO, only bested by Tyranitar. Machamp has incredibly high DPS, and fighting Pokémon tends to be a very high priority in the metagame. Plus it counters the Blissey and Chansey you'll find at every gym in existence.
Best Dialga Counters in "Pokémon GO"
As per usual, adhere to the standard best practices for catching raid bosses.
- Line up a colored circle you believe you can hit
- Take your finger off the screen (readjust if the Dialga jumps or moves)
- Wait until Dialga attacks
- Throw during the attack animation so that your ball will hit inside the colored circle when the attack animation finishes. (Be sure to use a curve throw to add an extra 1.7x catch chance multiplier)
Also, don't forget to use a Golden Razz Berry to lock down an extra 2.5x catch chance multiplier. And if you're really looking to optimize, remember that Dialga is both Dragon and Steel type so make sure to push for Gold Medals on both Dragon and Steel type to land an extra 1.3x catch chance multiplier! For extra details on catching, check out my catch guide.
Dialga can come with the following Quick Moves:
- Dragon Breath
- Metal Claw
Dialga can come with the following Charge Moves:
- Draco Meteor
- Iron Head
Evaluating Your Dialga
Before appraisal or using an IV calculator, just check out Dialga's CP on the catch screen. Its catch CP will reflect its IVs, so you already know in advance if it's a strong one or not. This will help you decide on how much time, effort, and golden razz berries you should throw at it.
- Max catch CP for non-boosted weather is 2307
- Max catch CP for boosted weather (Snowy & Windy) is 2884
As a quick reference, check out the below chart on what your appraisal means with respect to Dialga's IVs. My personal goal is to get one above 80%, or a "wonder" for Team Mystic.
IV Appraisal Evaluation Chart
Dialga is pretty beastly and looks like it will fill a role in general combat or raid teams. It's definitely worth grinding a bit to find yourself a high IV.
Hopefully this guide has helped you snag a Dialga! If you want to get into more detail on raids, feel free to check out my guide on how to make the most out of raids. Feel free to leave a question or comments!