"Pokemon Go" Groudon Raid Guide
Groudon Raid Guide
Groudon is another raid boss that does more than just fill your Pokedex. He is an essential member of your lineup in part due to his raw combat power, but also in part due to his ability to know an interesting diversity of moves spanning Ground, Dragon, Fire, and Grass types. Boasting a raid CP of 49671, Groudon is not a pushover. Possible with 3 strong trainers, possible even 2, it's still recommended to bring at least 4 or 5. Groudon is a Ground type Pokemon, making him most notably weak to Grass and Water, though also weak to Ice as well.
Groudon also has a Shiny variant that has roughly a 1 in 20 chance of appearing in the catch sequence. (Your individual catch can be Shiny, not the entire raid)
Preparing for a Raid
Seasoned raiders can skip this section, but if you're new to raiding you may want to check out these points.
I'll go over building a team of ideal counters next, but before that you need to prep a handful of things to set yourself up properly. You can skip this if you're a regular raider.
1. Check your local Pokemon Go group, discord, facebook, etc. to see who wants to join the raid. Unless you're rocking 6 phones plus 6 high level accounts by yourself and know how to tap with your toes. When you find enough people, set a time and how lenient you can be with how late people are. 'Hard start' refers to starting at the stated time no matter what.
2. If you can, take gym control over to your color before the start of the raid. This will give you 2 extra balls to use against Groudon after you complete the raid.
3. Bring your friends! Bringing high level friends into raids will grant you extra attack damage to Groudon and extra balls at the end of the raid.
Pokemon Go Friends Perks
Building an Ideal Counter Team
Groudon is a Ground type, making it weak to Ice, Grass, and Water. However, there aren't a whole lot of great Ice options in Pokemon Go so most of the best counters are going to be Grass or Water. Fortunately, many of them can be quite easy to find and power up.
- Gyarados with Waterfall & Hydro Pump
- Kyogre with Waterfall & Hydro Pump
- Mewtwo with Psycho Cut & Ice Beam
- Feraligatr with Waterfall & Hydro Pump
- Alolan Exeggutor with Bullet Seed & Solar Beam
- Venusaur with Vine Whip & Frenzy Plant
- Sceptile with Bullet Seed & Leaf Blade
If you're really in a pinch, I'd recommend using a Jynx, Blastoise, Exeggutor, or Tangela as those are also strong options that are much more common.
Best Groudon Counters in Pokemon GoClick thumbnail to view full-size
As per usual, adhere to the standard best practices for catching raid bosses.
- Align a colored circle you believe you can easily hit
- Take your finger away from the screen (readjust if Groudon jumps or moves)
- Wait until Groudon attacks, fortunately he attacks quite often making this part much easier
- Throw during the attack animation such that your ball will hit inside the colored circle when the animation finishes. (Be sure to use a curve throw to add an extra 1.7x catch chance multiplier)
Also, don't forget to use a Golden Razz Berry to lock down an extra 2.5x catch chance multiplier. And if you're really looking to optimize, remember that Groudon is a Ground type so make sure to push for a Gold Medal Fire/Steel type to land an extra 1.3x catch chance multiplier! For extra details on catching, check out my catch guide.
Fortunately, Groudon is up close, attacks semi-frequently, and doesn't move side to side. This makes him one of the easier Legendaries to snag so long as you follow the protocol!
Groudon can come with the following Fast moves.
- Mud Shot
- Dragon Tail
Groudon can come with the following Charge moves.
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast
Captured Groudon with 93% IVs
Before opening up the appraisal menu, an IV calculator, or even an on-screen IV evaluating tool you can just look at your Groudon's catch CP. The catch CP will correlate with the IVs it has.
- Max catch CP for non-boosted weather is 2351
- Max catch CP for boosted weather (Sunny) is 2939
For reference, check the chart below on appraisals to get a clearer understanding on what appraisals mean in Pokemon Go or check out my guide.
IV Evaluation Chart
Groudon is a powerful member of a Ground lineup and it's definitely worth hunting for a high IV one. In fact, it's even worth getting Groudon's with multiple attack options given both Earthquake and Solar Beam are great options for Groudon and for the meta.
Groudon is also pretty easy to catch, so really chasing this guy is a no-brainer.
If you want to learn more about maximizing your gains from raids, feel free to check out my guide on how to make the most out of raids.