Sigbog is an avid gamer whose passion for Pokémon was reignited by "Pokémon Go" and now "Pokémon: Let's Go" in turn.
Guide to Battling Red
Who Is Red?
Pokémon Let's Go features three characters that are throwbacks to some of the original games.
- Red - The original playable main character and the hero of the manga and anime.
- Blue - 'Gary,' the rival of Red.
- Green - She came into play later on in the series for Pokémon Green as the protagonist.
Red is the main protagonist of Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow, and others. Ash from the anime is based on him. His rival is Blue. But I suppose you already know these things? In Pokémon Let's Go he's just as quiet as in other Pokémon games and does not say much. He's also the most difficult opponent I've come across.
Unlocking the Chance to Battle Red
Red is by far the hardest trainer to fight as well as the hardest to reach. There are some tough prerequisites before you can step up to the hero, including:
- You have to have beaten the Elite Four.
- You have to have earned six Master Trainer titles (Check out this guide if you need more info on unlocking titles). Any Master Trainer titles will work, it does not necessarily have to be for the Pokémon you're bringing into the fight.
After doing so, you'll have the opportunity to go toe-to-toe against Red.
Where to Find Red
After completing the prerequisites, you can find Red right outside of the Indigo Plateau, at the top of the stairs off to the left side. He's just standing there nonchalantly, ready to fight. Refer to the screenshot below.
Read More From Levelskip
Red on the Indigo Plateau
Red is likely the most challenging opponent you can face. His line-up is diverse and high level. When battling him, you'll have to face:
- Pikachu Lv. 85
- Lapras Lv. 85
- Arcanine Lv. 85
- Machamp Lv. 85
- Snorlax Lv. 85
- Venusaur Lv. 85 (Which he will mega evolve to Mega Venusaur)
You'll need an incredibly powerful or equally diverse team to take him down. If you're the type who has already put together an amped up Level 100 Mewtwo, you can use him to defeat most of these Pokémon. Other useful counters include:
- Charizard for Venusaur and Machamp (Assuming you have a Flying move). Alakazam can fill this role as well
- Machamp for Snorlax and Lapras.
- Golem for Arcanine and Pikachu (Make sure it has both Ground and Rock moves).
"Battle Master" Title
Upon defeating Red for the first time, you'll unlock the title of "Battle Master." NPCs will then begin referring to you as Battle Master. It will also show up during PvP battles.
Battle Master Title Screenshot
Repeatedly Battling Red
Like many other battles in Pokémon Let's Go, you can repeatedly battle Red. However, you'll need to run through the Elite Four again in order to do so as he will disappear after beating him. Unfortunately, there really isn't much reason to do so as you will not receive any money or other benefits for doing it.
All in all, fighting Red is a fun challenge that grants a unique title and is a must-do for any Pokémon fan who has played the original games. Otherwise, there isn't much point and plays no role in any farming loop or other end game content.