Sigbog is an avid gamer whose passion for Pokémon was reignited by "Pokémon Go" and now "Pokémon: Let's Go" in turn.
Guide to Catching Mewtwo
The Icon of Mythical Pokemon
Mewtwo is arguable the most desirable Pokemon of the original 151. One of the most powerful as well as most difficult to catch. You only get 1 shot at catching Mewtwo, and if it runs away, it's done for good.
Mewtwo can be found in the Cerulean Cave, but only after beating the Elite Four can you actually gain access to it.
Gaining Access to the Cerulean Cave
After beating the Elite Four, go to Cerulean City. You may have walked by Cerulean Cave at some point because you can see it as you enter the city, but you could not access it before.
One way to get to it is to go north over the bridge. After the bridge, use sea skim to enter the water directly to your left. Go down, and then left, and you'll be at the cave's entrance.
You can also fly over the water and directly go to the cave which is likely more convenient.
Cerulean Cave Entrance
When you've entered the cave, it can be a mid intimidating but this cave is not nearly as difficult as some other caves you've been in before. There are no long and complex puzzles, you just need to go to the right ladders. To find Mewtwo:
- Right as you enter you have to use sea skim, get off at the first possible spot. It's just a brief ride away from the entrance. There will be 1 ladder to go up.
- Now you'll be in a really large cavern with a lot of different ladders. Navigate to the very top left corner.
- Climb down the ladder you see.
- You'll be in a small area with only another ladder. Go down again.
- Now you'll be in the area with Mewtwo. You'll need to wind around a bit to get to it but there are no longer any other directions to go. Just get to the end and it will be there.
Refer to the images below for some guidance.
Navigating the Cerulean Cave
Not only is Mewtwo a terrifying opponent, you fight him at level 70. Absolutely not a push-over, but he's also only 1 Pokemon. Mewtwo also uses recover, so if you can't blast him down, he'll just heal. Of course, you only have 5 minutes to take him out.
I personally highly recommend using Toxic on him! Eventually it will do more damage than his recover.
But for type advantage you want Bug, Ghost, or Dark:
- Bug: Scyther or Pinsir
- Ghost: Gengar
- Dark: Alolan Persian (Also worth noting Gyarados can use 'Bite' which is a dark attack)
You could also take high damage Pokemon in against him, such as dragonite. However, I found it easiest to use Toxic and then defensive oriented Pokemon that heal or otherwise delay combat with sleep, dodges, etc.
Mewtwo Cut Scene
Mewtwo is a dark red, even with an Ultra Ball. He is incredibly difficult to catch and CAN run away from you. I believe you have 2 options:
- Use the Master Ball, lock him down, and walk away. There is no better use for the Master Ball, and if you still feel like you want one, you can actually find Master Balls in the Cerulean Cave in the glowing spots where there are hidden items. It's rare, but possible. The Master Ball was practically made for Mewtwo, why wouldn't you? Plus, there is a fun cut scene if you use one.
- Save before fighting Mewtwo so you can re-load the game if he runs away. You should do this in any scenario just in case something happens, but it is an option. Some people would love to see Mewtwo sitting in a Premiere Ball, but this will take some patience so to each their own. If you do it this way, be sure to turn on co-op mode by popping out your joycons and shaking the inactive one to increase your chances by throwing multiple balls at once.
You could also save the game, use the Master Ball, and re-load if Mewtwo doesn't have high individual values. Bottle Caps and Golden Bottle Caps are pretty difficult to come by, so this isn't a bad option if you want to save yourself some time on farming them. If you're unsure what I'm referring to, I'll put some links at the bottom of the article so you can read more about IVs and Bottle Caps.
If you're really patient, you can re-load until Mewtwo spawns as shiny.
The Riskiest Catch Sequence
- "Pokemon Let's Go" IV & Judge Guide
Each individual Pokemon has hidden stats bonuses, called IVs. Learn what they are, how to check them, and how to find Pokemon with high IVs with this guide.
- "Pokemon Let's Go" Hyper Training Guide & Bottle Cap Farming
Learn how to Hyper Train your Pokemon to maxed out individual values with Bottle Caps using this guide.
Questions & Answers
Question: Can Mewtwo respawn after running from battle?
Answer: Yes! If you miss Mewtwo because you or he runs away, he will respawn after beating the Elite Four another time. He will not respawn if you catch him.
sigbog (author) from USA on December 19, 2018:
I know! It feels good to see the old familiar exciting moments for a new generation and with some cool new things added too.
Poppy from Enoshima, Japan on December 17, 2018:
Fantastic article! I remember how exciting it was when I first stepped into Cerulean Cave in the original Pokemon game on the Game Boy. I bet it's just as thrilling for the new generation this time round. Thanks for this great guide.