Cheeky Kid is a true-blue casual gamer. Whenever he's not watching anime or reading manga, chances are he's mindlessly playing games.
25 Things to Do After Beating Pokémon Sword and Shield
Greetings, champion of Galar! If you think your adventure is over, you’re horribly mistaken. This is just the beginning! After all, the quest to becoming the best Pokémon trainer in the world is never-ending.
There’s actually a lot more to Pokémon Sword and Shield than meets the eye. You just need to look a bit closer. This guide will help you see and discover all the challenges and activities you can undertake now that you’re the champion of Galar.
1. Acquire the Master Ball
After you finish the game for the first time and become the Champion of Galar, you’ll find yourself back in your house in Postwick. Go to the kitchen area and you will see Professor Magnolia. Talk to her and she will give you a Master Ball as a gift.
Note: The Master Ball is an item that allows you to catch any Pokémon at a 100% catch rate.
2. Complete the Legendary Quest
The Legendary Quest is the continuation of your adventure in Galar after you become the champion. This mini-story tackles the aftermath of Eternatus' capture and the fate of Galar's heroes, Zacian and Zamazenta. Hence, the Legendary Quest begins!
Here’s a quick guide for you to complete the Legendary Quest:
- Go to the Altar in the deepest area of Slumbering Weald.
- Accept Hop’s Pokémon battle challenge and defeat him.
- Engage in battle and defeat Sordward (Pokémon Sword) or Shielbert (Pokémon Shield).
- Head to the Pokémon Lab in Wedgehurst and talk to Sonia.
- Go to Turffield Stadium and battle the berserking Dynamax Pokémon.
- Go to Hulbury Stadium and Motostoke Stadium, and battle their respective berserking Dynamax Pokémon.
- Return to the Pokémon Lab in Wedgehurst and talk to Sonia.
- Fight alongside Hop and defeat Sordward and Shielbert in a Double Battle.
- Go to Ballonlea Stadium and defeat Bede in a Pokémon Battle.
- Go to Stow-on-Side Stadium, Circhester Stadium, and Hammerlocke Stadium, and battle their respective berserking Dynamax Pokémon.
- Head to the Energy Plant in Hammerlocke Stadium and battle Sordward (Pokémon Sword) or Shielbert (Pokémon Shield).
- Head to the Tower Summit of Hammerlocke Stadium and defeat the berserking Zamazenta (Pokémon Sword) or Zacian (Pokémon Shield).
- Engage Zacian (Pokémon Sword) or Zamazenta (Pokémon Shield) and catch your version-exclusive Legendary Pokémon.
- Return to the altar in the deepest area of Slumbering Weald and battle Hop for the last time.
3. Collect All the Rare League Cards
Aside from the League Cards you get by completing the game, you can get rare League Cards by doing certain stuff during the postgame. Fortunately, you will be able to collect most of the rare League Cards by completing the Legendary Quest. As for the rest, here’s how you can get them:
- Marnie’s Rare League Card – Challenge her to a Pokémon Battle in Spikemuth.
- Leon’s Rare League Card – Challenge him in the Battle Tower.
- Rose’s Rare League Card – Talk to Oleanna inside the Galar Mine.
- Ball Guy’s Rare League Card – Talk to him outside Motostoke Stadium.
4. Test Your Battling Skills at the Battle Tower
After completing the Legendary Quest, you’ll be able to participate in challenging battles at the Battle Tower (formerly called the Rose Tower) in Wyndon.
In this tower, you’ll be able to test your mettle in Pokémon Battles by participating in Single Battles and Double Battles.
Every time you win, you will be rewarded BPs (Battle Points), which you can exchange for special items, bottle caps, mints, and more in the Battle Tower and Hammerlocke Stadium. Every time you rise up in the ranks, you will also be rewarded with more BP and other surprising prizes.
5. Unlock the Judge Function (IV Checker)
Unlocking the Judge Function is very simple. You only need to win six battles in the Battle Tower in either the Single Battle format or the Double Battle format.
Once unlocked, you’ll be able to determine the IVs (Individual Values) of your Pokémon. Since IVs are directly correlated to stats such as HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed, the higher the values are, the stronger your Pokémon are.
6. Acquire the Battle Tower Uniform
Defeat Leon in the Ultra Ball Tier of the Battle Tower and he’ll reward you with the Battle Tower Uniform.
7. Re-enter the Champion’s Cup Tournament
You may be the Champion of Galar, but you can still participate in the Champion’s Cup Tournament in Wyndon as much as you want. In this tournament, you’ll be able to re-challenge the Gym Leaders and your Rivals to your heart’s desire.
8. Obtain Charmander
To get the special Fire-type Pokémon Charmander that can Gigantamax after it evolves into a Charizard, go to Postwick and head to Leon’s room. You’ll find a Poké Ball containing Charmander on the floor with a note saying that it’s a gift for you from Leon.
9. Obtain Type: Null
To get the legendary Normal-type Pokémon, Type: Null, go to the Battle Tower in Wyndon and talk to the League Staff on the left side of the lobby. The staff will congratulate you for your achievements and give you Type: Null as a reward. She will also hand you a stack of Memory Drives for you to use on Type: Null.
10. Learn Steel Beam
Go to Motostoke and head to the entrance of the warehouse beside Budew Drop Inn. Continue south until you see a flight of stairs. Go down the stairs and you’ll find a small area where you’ll see a guy who’s capable of teaching your Pokémon the move, Steel Beam.
Note: Steel Beam is a special steel-type move that can deal a lot of damage. It can usually be learned by Steel-type Pokémon.
11. Get the Beast Ball
Go to Stow-on-Side and head to the marketplace near the Pokémon Center. Talk to the shopkeeper in the middle and he’ll give you a Beast Ball as a reward for becoming the Champion.
Note: The Beast Ball is an item that increases the chance of capturing Ultra Beasts. Since there are no Ultra Beasts in Pokémon Sword and Shield, there is not much use for this item except for its aesthetic value.
12. Get the Lucky Egg
Go to the Seafood Restaurant in Hulbury and talk to the Cook on the counter. He will ask you to deliver food three times. Here are the delivery addresses and the rewards:
- 1st Delivery Address: Go to the northwest quadrant of Hulbury and enter the house next to the train station. Deliver the food to the woman inside and she will give you an Exp. Candy L. Go back to the Cook in the seafood restaurant and he will give you 5 Nuggets.
- 2nd Delivery Address: Go to the road between the Pokémon Center and the seafood restaurant in Hulbury and stroll up. Enter the 4th house and deliver the food to the man inside. Go back to the Cook in the seafood restaurant and he will give you 2 Big Nuggets.
- 3rd Delivery Address: Go to the marketplace south of the seafood restaurant. Look for the stall with the green roof and deliver the food to the man operating it. Go back to the Cook in the seafood restaurant and he will give you the Lucky Egg.
Note: The Lucky Egg is an item that boosts the experience gained by any Pokémon holding it in battle.
13. Get the Catching Charm
Go to Hotel Ionia (West Branch) in Circhester and head to the upper floor. Make your way to the second room to the left and find the Director (he’s the Doctor NPC). Talk to him and he’ll give you the Catching Charm in order to make it easier for you to complete the Pokédex.
Note: The Catching Charm is an item that passively increases the rate at which you can catch Pokémon. It allows for a greater chance at critical catching, which significantly boosts your catch rate.
14. Get the Oval Charm
Go to Hotel Ionia (West Branch) in Circhester and head to the upper floor. Make your way to the first room to the left and find Morimoto (he’s the Police Officer NPC). Challenge him to a Double Battle and he will reward you with the Oval Charm after you defeat him.
Note: The Oval Charm is an item that passively increases the rate at which Pokémon eggs are generated at the Pokémon Nursery on Route 5 and at the Bridge Field in the Wild Area.
15. Participate in Max Raid Battles
Go all out in the Wild Area by participating in Max Raid Battles and catching Dynamax and Gigantamax Pokémon. You can do this with in-game NPCs or with other players around the world through the Y-Comm.
By participating in Max Raid Battles, you get the chance to earn candies, items, TRs, and catch Gigantamax Pokémon, and Pokémon with Hidden Abilities.
16. Collect All 100 Technical Machines (TMs)
There are 100 TMs in Pokémon Sword and Shield. Since you’re on a quest to become the best like no one ever was, it’s important that you have access to various Pokémon moves that you can learn through TMs.
To help you with collecting them all, here’s a location guide for all 100 TMs in the region of Galar.
17. Collect All 100 Technical Records (TRs)
There are 100 TRs in Pokémon Sword and Shield. Unlike TMs, TRs can only be used once to teach your Pokémon various moves, but can be obtained limitlessly by purchasing them from NPCs with Watts, scavenging them around Galar, and earning them as rewards from Max Raid Battles.
18.Catch All 400 Pokémon
Catching all available in Pokémon Sword and Shield is a no-brainer. It’s one of the greatest endeavors for a Pokémon trainer. In order to catch them all, you can hunt for Pokémon in the wild, evolve them, claim them as rewards from events, or obtain them via trading.
19. Get the Shiny Charm
Go to Hotel Ionia (West Branch) in Circhester and head to the upper floor. Make your way to the second room to the left and find the Director (he’s the Doctor NPC). Once you complete the Galar Pokédex, talk to him and he’ll give you the Shiny Charm as a reward.
Note: The Shiny Charm is an item that passively increases the rate at which you can find shiny Pokémon in the wild or through breeding.
20. Hunt for Shiny Pokémon
After you obtain the Shiny Charm, it’s time to collect all the shiny Pokémon. You can do this either by catching Pokémon in the wild or by hatching them from eggs.
For catching, the more you battle a certain Pokémon in the wild, the higher it’s shiny chance. For egg hatching, if you breed your Pokémon with a foreign Pokémon (preferably Ditto), the higher the chance that the Pokémon will hatch as a shiny.
21. Push Your Luck at the Loto-ID
You can try the Loto-ID in the Rotom PC in any Pokémon Center daily. If the ID No. of any of your Pokémon matches the daily Loto-ID number, you get the chance to win various rare prizes. That’s why it’s recommended to collect Pokémon with different ID No. by regularly trading with other trainers. Here’s the list of Loto-ID digit matches and their respective prizes:
- One-digit match: Moomoo Milk
- Two-digit match: PP Up
- Three-digit match: PP Max
- Four-digit match: Rare Candy
- Five-digit match: Master Ball
22. Send Out Great Pokémon
You can use the Y-Comm to send any Pokémon you have to trainers around the world via the Surprise Trade.
Not only is the Surprise Trade function of the Y-Comm a great help in completing the Pokédex, it also allows you to make someone’s day by giving them awesome Pokémon for free.
If you’re feeling extra generous, you can send out shiny and/or high IV Pokémon. Who knows, you might even get rare ones in return.
23. Collect All the Outfits
In order to collect all the outfits in Pokémon Sword and Shield, you will need a lot of Poké Dollars. Once you get your hands on a lot of Poké Dollars, you can go visit the boutiques scattered all over Galar to purchase all the clothing items you want.
Note that there are also some outfits that you can only get through gym battles, special events, and online ranked battles.
24. Road to 100
There’s always a sense of fulfillment when any of your Pokémon reaches level 100.
In Pokémon Sword and Shield, maxing levels is even easier because of Exp. Candies. Simply feed your critters with Exp. Candies and their levels will increase proportionately.
If you want to go the old-fashioned way, you can also feed your critters rare candies or challenge trainers and Pokémon through battles.
25. Re-watch the Credits
Go to Hulbury and head to the lighthouse on the northeast quadrant. Just before you reach the lighthouse, you will see the famous Pokémon band, the Maximizers. If you speak with the man beside them, he will ask you if you want to watch the concert, which is just the credits of the game.
Note: Once you start watching the Maximizers’ concert, you won’t be able to skip it until it’s finished.
SONICDASH on May 10, 2020:
Thank you for the information