"Pokémon X and Y" Walkthrough, Part One: Choosing a Starter Pokémon
Another trainer, another adventure, another championship, another Pokémon game. Welcome to the world of Kalos, a land full of mystery, intrigue, experience grinding, and, of course, new pokémon to capture.
- Begin the game. Choose a name, a gender, and a look. It ultimately makes no difference to the game.
- Go upstairs and look in the mirror to change out of your PJs.
- Back downstairs. There's nothing of interest in the house, so head outside.
- Welcome to Vaniville Village. You'll be greeted by two young trainers who will promptly run off, encouraging you to follow.
- If you want, have a look around town. You'll receive some rudimentary pointers about items and pokémon and the like, but for the most part, this is a dead end. Once you're done, take the northern gate out of Vaniville Village.
Route 1: Vaniville Pathway
- Head through Route 1, which is very straightforward and thus doesn't require much instruction.
- After getting to the other side of Route 1, you'll arrive at Aquacorde Town. Once the shouting starts, follow it to the set of tables to the west.
- Cut scene: Meet the gang, and choose a nickname for yourself.
- It's also time to choose a pokémon. The big moment!
- You have three choices for a starter: Chespin, a Grass-type pokémon; Fennekin, a Fire-type pokémon; and Froakie, a Water-type pokémon. Which do you choose Drumroll... any of them! All three are perfectly good for the challenges that lie ahead.
Which Will You Choose?
The first gym in the game will be a bug-type gym, so if you want an early lead, Fennekin is a fine choice. That said, it'll be at a disadvantage for the rock-type gym that follows, something better faced by grass and Water-type attacks. You have plenty of time in-between gyms to get other pokémon, though, so go with the pokémon you like the looks of best. All three turn out great.
- After receiving your pokémon you'll also receive a Pokedex. You'll use this device to keep track of the pokémon you see and capture in the Kalos Region. Enjoy.
- Last up, you get a Prof's Letter to give to your mom. Swell. Now you can explore the town!
- Go down the stairs to the fountain in the center of town. A man near it will give you a Potion.
- To the left of the fountain is a store that sells Poké Balls for $200. You have $3,000 to start, but you don't really need these Balls just yet. (Though on your next trip through, feel free to buy four or five.)
- Down and to the right of the fountain is a store that sells Potions for $300. Again, not necessary right now.
- Up and to the right of the fountain is a small-town equivalent of a Pokémon Center. You can bring your pokémon here and receive a quick, full heal. Handy.
- In the top-right corner of town is a photo spot that's currently inactive. Come back later.
- Last, if you try to leave Aquacorde Town by the north you'll run afoul of a dude who's unwilling to let you pass. Jerk.
- Head home. On your way, you'll get into your first pokémon battle.
Pokemon Trainer Shauna
Fennekin, Froakie, or Chespin, Level 5
Your first battle is a piece of cake, as Shauna's pokémon is automatically weak to your Pokémon's type. Use your elemental attack to quickly whittle it down. Three hits at the most should do it.
- Head home, for real this time. Your mother will pack the essentials for your trip, including a Town Map.
- Leave the house and set out on your epic adventure. That guy in Aquacorde will now let you pass.
Post Game Stuff
- After beating the Champion, you can meet Shauna in Vaniville Town. She'll trade you the initial stage of her starter in exchange for any pokémon you like.