Matt Bird writes all sorts of nonsense, but he dedicates a large chunk of his time to writing game walkthroughs.
Another trainer, another adventure, another championship, another Pokémon game. Welcome to the world of Kalos, a land full of mystery, intrigue, experience grinding, and, of course, new Pokémon to capture.
- Begin the game. Choose a name, a gender, and a look. It ultimately makes no difference to the game.
- Go upstairs and look in the mirror to change out of your PJs.
- Back downstairs. There's nothing of interest in the house, so head outside.
- Welcome to Vaniville Village. You'll be greeted by two young trainers who will promptly run off, encouraging you to follow.
- If you want, have a look around town. You'll receive some rudimentary pointers about items and pokémon and the like, but for the most part, this is a dead end. Once you're done, take the northern gate out of Vaniville Village.
Route 1: Vaniville Pathway
- Head through Route 1, which is very straightforward and thus doesn't require much instruction.
- After getting to the other side of Route 1, you'll arrive at Aquacorde Town. Once the shouting starts, follow it to the set of tables to the west.
- Cut scene: Meet the gang, and choose a nickname for yourself.
- It's also time to choose a Pokémon. The big moment!
- You have three choices for a starter: Chespin, a Grass-type Pokémon; Fennekin, a Fire-type Pokémon; and Froakie, a Water-type Pokémon. Which do you choose Drumroll... any of them! All three are perfectly good for the challenges that lie ahead.
- After receiving your Pokémon you'll also receive a Pokedex. You'll use this device to keep track of the Pokémon you see and capture in the Kalos Region. Enjoy.
- Last up, you get a Prof's Letter to give to your mom. Swell. Now you can explore the town!
- Go down the stairs to the fountain in the center of town. A man near it will give you a Potion.
- To the left of the fountain is a store that sells Poké Balls for $200. You have $3,000 to start, but you don't really need these Balls just yet. (Though on your next trip through, feel free to buy four or five.)
- Down and to the right of the fountain is a store that sells Potions for $300. Again, not necessary right now.
- Up and to the right of the fountain is a small-town equivalent of a Pokémon Center. You can bring your Pokémon here and receive a quick, full heal. Handy.
- In the top-right corner of town is a photo spot that's currently inactive. Come back later.
- Last, if you try to leave Aquacorde Town by the north you'll run afoul of a dude who's unwilling to let you pass. Jerk.
- Head home. On your way, you'll get into your first Pokémon battle.
Pokemon Trainer Shauna
Fennekin, Froakie, or Chespin, Level 5
Your first battle is a piece of cake, as Shauna's Pokémon is automatically weak to your Pokémon's type. Use your elemental attack to quickly whittle it down. Three hits at the most should do it.
- Head home, for real this time. Your mother will pack the essentials for your trip, including a Town Map.
- Leave the house and set out on your epic adventure. That guy in Aquacorde will now let you pass.
Post Game Stuff
- After beating the Champion, you can meet Shauna in Vaniville Town. She'll trade you the initial stage of her starter in exchange for any Pokémon you like.