Matt Bird writes all sorts of nonsense, but he dedicates a large chunk of his time to writing game walkthroughs.
From the big city to the sticks. Yep, you never get to spend too much time in civilization as a Pokémon trainer. The pesky little varmints just don't like living in urban settings . . . unless, of course, they're already caught. You need 'em wild! Off to Route 5 with you!
Wild Pokémon – Route 5
- Head to the Route 5 gate in Lumoise City. It's in the west end. You'll receive a message once there about a ton of Pokémon on the route.
- A man inside the gate will teach you about O-Bonding. Huh.
- Small cut scene beyond. Double huh.
- Hop into the skate park in the north. Check the middle square at the bottom of the main dip for a Paralyze Heal. Approach the left side of the grinding bar that leads over to the item ball and hop onto it while you're skating. You'll slide right over to the Super Potion.
- Head straight west. You'll run into a pair of trainers beside the stairs.
Twins Faith & Joy
Minun, level 11
Plusle, level 11
This pint-sized pair is more annoying than anything. Focus your attacks on one and they won't be able to use Helping Hands to support each other. Paralysis is a possibility, but not too much of one.
- Head south through the grass. Approach Tierno and he'll challenge you to a battle.
Pokemon Trainer Tierno
Corphish, level 12
One Corphish? What is it with people only owning a single Corphish? At any rate, this is an easy battle, as he'll primarily attack with Vicegrip. Whittle the poor thing down.
- Trevs will give you Honey after the battle. You can use Honey to attract hordes of Pokémon while standing in grass or in caves.
- Continue past to find a trainer jogging around.
Rising Star Hamish
Kadabra, level 13
Kadabra is a decent threat if it gets to go first, but it's a glass cannon that cannot withstand physical attacks, particularly Bug-, Ghost-, or Dark-type moves. Outspeed it if you can and you shouldn't have much trouble.
- Slide down the rail to the north to find a Super Potion.
- Climb the hill nearby, then go all the way south until you see a grinding rail. Check the rock on the left for a Super Potion. Ride the rail down to find a tree that drops Oran Berries. Loop back to the hill again.
- Go up the stairs at the top. There are two trainers skating around pylons who will battle you.
Roller Skater Winnie
Bunnelby, level 9
Skiddo, level 11
Bunnelby is old news by now. Skiddo is newish, but it's not at all difficult with Fire-, Bug-, or Flying-type moves.
Roller Skater Florin
Doduo, level 12
Nothing special here. Beat it down.
- Skate across the bar up north, drop into the field, and walk to the next bar on the next rise. Ride it south to find TM 01, Hone Claws. Note the yellow item ball as opposed to it being red.
- Hop off the ledge. There's a trainer to your right to fight, if you wish. You can also find an X Attack at the bottom of the flower field to the south.
Rising Star Tyson
Bidoof, level 12
Oddish, level 13
Both are slow, and not that problematic, though Oddish can be a pain if it starts to inflict status attacks. Kill it quickly.
- Down the next flight of stairs is another trainer, pacing around.
Sentret, level 12
Ooo, a new face—but not a tough one. Straightforward Normal-type Pokémon.
- To the south is a field of flowers, and in it a pacing trainer.
Pansage, level 12
Ohhh, that precious, precious quote. Old school. At any rate, he's a pushover.
Pass through this field, noting the bushes to Cut for later, and you'll discover the way to your next destination: Camphrier Town. Huzzah!
- Cut through the north tree to find a Sharp Beak. Cut through the south tree to find a trainer.
Carvanha, level 10
Pancham, level 10
By the time you come back here with Cut capability, this guy is rather pathetic. Oh well, Carvanha's kinda neat.
k on October 25, 2015:
I found a horde of Gulpin in the tall grass.
Aidan on November 02, 2013:
Tyson's oddish is actually level 10
Griffon on October 28, 2013:
Gulpin Hordes can be found in both kinds of grass
Matt Bird (author) from Canada on October 25, 2013:
Thanks, guys. List has been updated. I think this one is finalized, as I found no difference between night and day rates on this route.
Jordan on October 24, 2013:
Tyler on October 21, 2013:
I can confirm that furfrou is here I just found one
Chris on October 13, 2013:
Also there is Minun and Plusle hoards there too!
Chris on October 13, 2013:
Furfrou is encountered here also and has an awesome ability which halves all physical attacks! Good EXP for them too!
eps on October 13, 2013:
Scraggy can also be found here as a horde
hi on October 13, 2013:
I just encountered a horde of scraggy