Matt Bird writes all sorts of nonsense, but he dedicates a large chunk of his time to writing game walkthroughs.
You've reached the end of the road. (Almost.) The final gym battle is the only thing standing between you and the Pokémon League. Hopefully you've got fire, fighting or steel on your side, because this Ice-type gym will chill you to the core otherwise.
Snowbelle City Gym
- Welcome to the final Gym Challenge. This one's fairly straightforward. You're up against a series of trainers, one to each side of the gym. Beat a trainer and you'll gain access to a button. Stand on the button and the gym will rotate, according to the colour of the button you stepped on.
- Start with the girl on your left.
Ace Trainer Imelda
Sneasel, level 54
Cloyster, level 55
Not that bad. Sneasel doesn't hit hard, but it will usually hit first. Prepare accordingly. Cloyster usually wastes a turn setting up Spikes; use this moment to bring it down. Try not to switch once the Spikes are deployed.
- Push her button twice, until you can gain access to the guy nearby.
Ace Trainer Viktor
Delibird, level 54
Mamoswine, level 55
Delibird is a pushover, as always. Mamoswine is a fair bit stronger by comparison; don't bring out anything weak to Ground-type moves, such as a Steel-type. (Unless, of course, it can fly.)
- Hit his blue button three times so you can move back to the girl's platform. The blue floor ahead has to be connecting the two bridges. Hit the pink button three times to proceed.
- Next up is the girl on the green platform.
Ace Trainer Shannon
Cryogonal, level 52
Piloswine, level 53
Jynx, level 54
Cryogonal can be annoying with Confuse Ray, but it's ultimately limited to ice attacks. Use this to set up a strong attacker before knocking it out. Once it's gone you'll face Ground- and Psychic-type attacks next; choose something that can resist both. Something Water-type (your starter, perhaps?) is a wise choice.
- Leave the green platform stationary and run across to the guy on the yellow platform.
Ace Trainer Theo
Beartic, level 54
Vanilluxe, level 55
Both are pure Ice-types, and neither are terribly fast. Beartic also basically wastes a turn setting up Hail. You have plenty of time to wipe them out with super-effective moves.
- Hit the yellow button once. Then hit the green button three times (thanks for the correction, commenters), until the green floor is lined up with the central bridge and the two adjoining platforms. This creates a path up to the Gym Leader.
Abomasnow, level 56
Cryogonal, level 55
Avalugg, level 57
This is a tough fight whether you're prepped or not. Wulfric's Pokémon love to set up Hail, either through ability or the move itself, so unless you deploy something that resists Ice (namely an Ice-type, which is little help here) you'll be taking extra damage for most of the battle. A Pokémon that negates weather isn't a terrible idea. Abomasnow loves to use Energy Ball, Cryogonal likes Confuse Ray mixed with Ice Beam and Avalugg is a Curse fan. Stick to offensive moves that hurt Ice badly and you'll get through this fight with some dings, but largely intact. Fire is your best bet for all three, especially Abomasnow.
Beat Wulfric and you'll earn the Iceberg Badge, allowing you to control Pokémon of any level. You can also now use Waterfall outside combat. Last, most fantastic, you'll receive TM 13, Ice Beam. Cha-ching! Now it's off to the Pokémon League!
M on October 30, 2013:
You only need to press the green button 3 times.
S-Meister on October 28, 2013:
Lol I one shot everything with flamethrower on my lvl 60 charizard
Ds123 on October 23, 2013:
I used the event blaziken with speed boost and blazikenite. I got through the gym without even getting hurt.
Jorge on October 23, 2013:
I constantly think my pokémon are overleveled :(
Matt Bird (author) from Canada on October 19, 2013:
Ha ha, yeah, Lucario would wipe up at that gym. I have one on my team, too, but I didn't bring him along for the ride. (Isn't even the same one you get from Korrina. I was a bit miffed about getting one after training my own for so long.)
k on October 19, 2013:
i used lucario lvl 66 all the way through the gym. he didn't lose a single HP until the final battle, was faster than all the opponents and avalugg was the only one that needed to hits to go down. actually was a bit boring. anyway, if you trained your lucario, this is his time to shine!