Skyrim: How to Make Money/Gold Quickly
There are many ways to make money in Skyrim besides the usual “go to dungeon, kill the monsters, and loot the chest.” Not to say that that isn’t very fun, but sometimes, you may want to have a change of pace. Here are a bunch of ways to easily get gold in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Invest in a house for storage – being able to store things means you can have more items at once, which means you don’t have to drop things to avoid over-encumbrance. The cheapest house to buy is Breezehome in Whiterun for 5000 gold.
1. Remember to keep investing in your speech perks. The discounts you get in stores and the additional money you get from selling items adds up very quickly. Also, if you have the perk where you get better value from storekeepers of the opposite gender as you, remember where they are. The higher level speech perks let you invest into store-owners, earning money back from them over time.
2. Steal everything you can see and remember to pickpocket people. Here are some ways to steal things with more ease:
- Put a bucket or pot over someone’s eyes/head, they won’t be able to see you take things from them.
- Put things into buckets and take the buckets into to the next room and out of the view of people. Then you can steal all the items undisturbed.
- Pickpocket peoples' keys and loot their homes when they’re out at work.
3. Marry someone — when you get married, you get an allowance of some kind. To do this, get an Amulet of Mara from the Temple of Mara in Riften by talking to Maramal. You’ll be able to tell if someone is available for marriage if they ask you “Are you interested in me?” After you get married, you can even wait (in-game) and amass money that way.
4. Join the Dark Brotherhood and do their assassination missions. Each mission gives you a good sum of gold and their final one gives you a hefty 20,000. To join, start the quest having to do with Aventus Aretino, kill Grelod the Kind, and then just wait. A courier will give you a unique note and then go to sleep. Follow the quest from there to join the Dark Brotherhood.
5. Mining and woodcutting can be very profitable. To mine, get a pickaxe and find veins of ore in caves. Once you mine them, transmute and smelt all the ores, and make jewelry with them. Sell them or enchant them. To woodcut, get a woodcutter’s axe, cut down some trees, and chop them up on a woodchopping block. Sell them to people in mills who will buy the wood, like Hod in Riverwood.