I'm an avid "Skyrim" player that enjoys building unique characters.
There are many ways to make money in Skyrim besides the usual “go to dungeon, kill the monsters, and loot the chest.” Not to say that that isn’t very fun, but sometimes, you may want to have a change of pace. Here are a bunch of ways to easily get gold in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
1. Remember to keep investing in your speech perks. The discounts you get in stores and the additional money you get from selling items adds up very quickly. Also, if you have the perk where you get better value from storekeepers of the opposite gender as you, remember where they are. The higher level speech perks let you invest into store owners, earning money back from them over time.
2. Steal everything you can see and remember to pickpocket people. Here are some ways to steal things with more ease:
- Put a bucket or pot over someone’s eyes/head, they won’t be able to see you take things from them.
- Put things into buckets and take the buckets into to the next room and out of the view of people. Then you can steal all the items undisturbed.
- Pickpocket peoples' keys and loot their homes when they’re out at work.
3. Marry someone—when you get married, you get an allowance of some kind. To do this, get an Amulet of Mara from the Temple of Mara in Riften by talking to Maramal. You’ll be able to tell if someone is available for marriage if they ask you “Are you interested in me?” After you get married, you can even wait (in-game) and amass money that way.
4. Join the Dark Brotherhood and do their assassination missions. Each mission gives you a good sum of gold and their final one gives you a hefty 20,000. To join, start the quest having to do with Aventus Aretino, kill Grelod the Kind, and then just wait. A courier will give you a unique note and then go to sleep. Follow the quest from there to join the Dark Brotherhood.
5. Mining and woodcutting can be very profitable. To mine, get a pickaxe and find veins of ore in caves. Once you mine them, transmute and smelt all the ores, and make jewelry with them. Sell them or enchant them. To woodcut, get a woodcutter’s axe, cut down some trees, and chop them up on a woodchopping block. Sell them to people in mills who will buy the wood, like Hod in Riverwood.
Poppy from Enoshima, Japan on November 09, 2018:
I dug out my copy of Skyrim and started playing it again recently. I’m trying to complete this playthrough as a mage and not steal from people or join the evil guilds but damn, it’s hard as I want to be rich! This is good advice; I’m also trying to get my smithing, enchanting, and alchemy skills maxed as I basically neglected those last time. I’ll concentrate on smithing jewellery and selling it.
Onyx_eye on October 15, 2016:
Personally I prefer the chesty methods, like using the barrel in white rum to jump the wall and and take everything from the blacksmith and getting thousands of gold from each try
Jade Griffin from Ohio on March 19, 2014:
I didn't know you get an allowance for getting married. I am going to have to try that.
Read More From Levelskip
xyz on January 02, 2014:
who ever discovered that ingot changing thing is a genius!!! I am so rich. I have over 30,000 gold!!!! thanks guys and gals
xyz on January 02, 2014:
not to mention that wood is very heavy
tbird on November 12, 2013:
cuting wood takes awhile
g on November 10, 2013:
Follow the companions quest line in the second quest when you kill a person from the silver hand they have40 to 60 gold apiece
Ing on August 08, 2013:
Sometimes I just wonder how tragic would the lives of the beggars in Skyrim be 'cause there are just so much ways to get rich :D
Stephen Badu on July 16, 2013:
I like to get rich
h on July 02, 2013:
Deadra Heart brand gg
Ate ball junkie on May 02, 2013:
Blue Butterfly Wing
Blue Mountain Flower
Hanging Moss (or wheat)
hunter on March 09, 2013:
Level 81 black man kill a bunch of dragons and sell their bones/scales
Ben on February 27, 2013:
Mine / buy iron ore. Learn the spell Transmute (this turns iron ore into silver, and silver into gold). Create silver and gold ingots (certain precious stones can only be used in silver, others gold). Smith jewelry, the higher the quality of jewelry, the more money you'll make.
Enchanting the jewelry increases the value even more.
Before you know it you'll be spending most of your game time traveling between towns trying to sell your wares to shopkeepers who can barely afford your gear.
Liam on December 20, 2012:
Level 68 Redguard here.
One tactic I have found EXTREMELY profitable is to collect all of the ingredients you can as you go around questing. Every once in a while stop by an alchemy lab and mess around with ingredients to see which have common healing effects and mix the ones that have the most in common. (e.g. Slow, Regenerate health, Fortify Conjuration potion) These are pretty much useless as potions, but you can sell them for a ton of gold. I make potions worth upwards of 4,000 gold now and sell them at the Riverwood Trader after I buy out all the soul gems. Repeat this a bunch of times between missions and you will have endless soul gems and be able to buy anything you want.
smither on October 14, 2012:
get some iron ingots and leather strips and start smithing iron daggers
Giovani on July 09, 2012:
Stealing is only good when you have a certain speech ability
VB on June 10, 2012:
Am a new player of Skyrim (Level 9). The bucket tactics in the 2nd point (Steal) just cracked me up :D
Ryuzaki on May 24, 2012:
Learn the banish enchant, get allot of soul gems, use the smithing exploit to get allot of iron daggers, get enchanting
this levels your smithing, enchanting, and speech, and gets you a hefty price
Also you can get dead thrall, do boethiahs quest, and use it on the champion of boethiah, each time he resurrects and dies he yields another ebony mail, which is roughly worth 30000 gold,
Pat on April 17, 2012:
If u can find or buy a weapon that has the banish enchantment on it (any summomed deadra to lvl -- gets banished/cast/whatever to oblivion), buy it and disenchant it, it seems to b the highest yielding enchantment on items such as the iron dagger.
archer on January 04, 2012:
Enchanting iron daggers gives insane profit and you find them everywhere, a paralyze iron dagger is worth 1k gold