Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes: Ground War Assault Battle Tips
If you've been playing long enough, then you've seen a few of these Assault Battles in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (SWGOH). It's a quest to run through a gauntlet of 8 battles with 1-2 kinds of toons in a nod to longer-tail storytelling. Instead of just putting together a team for a single fight, you need to put more thought into having a proper balance of offense, defense, and even healing.
The fun part is that you're always going up against the best that a single faction has to offer - whether it's Vader, Palpatine, or a whole mess of different Empire baddies. And you'll usually also see a new toon or 2 that you can't get yet (but hopefully we eventually will) like R2-D2.
There's also an event power that you can use which is outside of normal game mechanics. I have never used these, and it's not essential to beating the most difficult tier.
So with that, let's get to the point, already!
Assault Battles: Ground War
So why is everyone so excited about Ground War? Well, let's list the reasons:
- It's new! It's the first compelling reason to put together resistance and ewok allies on the same team.
- You can even add Ugnaught to the squad. If you were one of the 10 people that maxed out Ugnaught, that is exciting.
- You're fighting Separatists - the pre-Empire faction that we know so well from the Clone Wars saga. Count Dooku and friends.
- When you beat a tier, you'll win Separatist shards in addition to credits, training droids, etc.
- There's an Achievement reward which includes Darth Vader shards.
- It's a limited time only promotion! These battles come back every few months so if you miss it once, you won't see it again for a long time.
So, if you're level 75, and you've got some Resistance, Ewok and Ugnaught toons, it's time to strap up and get ready for battle.
Chief Chirpa Time
So, who's going to lead this bunch into battle? Here are some options for you:
- Teebo - No doubt you're familiar with Teebo being a strong leader in the Rancor raids, so I'm guessing you have him maxed out and ready to lead this Ground War squad. Teebo's leadership skill covers all allies with a chance of stealth, and a chance to gain turn meter at the end of the turn. That means he's actually good for all purpose leading, and especially when you go up against counter-attackers like Count Dooku. He's a good option to have here.
- Finn - Finn is not only the finest Resistance leader around, but his leadership benefits are halved for other allies, so he's not bad. That means a boost in offense and a major boost to defense. If you have 2 other strong Resistance toons then you're probably going to want Finn as the leader.
- Chief Chirpa - Chirpa is marginally more difficult to acquire than Finn, but if you have him, then you know how good he can be in this fight. Ewok teams under Chirpa rack up turn meter like it's no one's business, and the benefit is halved for other allies. If you want to live out a Return of the Jedi fantasy with Ewoks, Chirpa is going to make Ground War more fun.
Those are the leader candidates, so who else can you send in to battle?
Other Squad Members
With leaders in place, let's get to the meat of the squad:
- Ugnaught - Oddly enough, Ground War is an opportunity to meaningfully put Ugnaught to use. So if you have him, you're obligated to put him to use for the first time in the history of the game. The bad news is that even in a perfect situation where he is surrounded by weak droids, I'd rather keep him on the bench.
- Rey - The superstar striker of the Resistance, Rey is a must for Ground War. She's naturally fast, hits like a freight train, and has a passive Foresight skill part of the time. Under Teebo, she gets less attention from attackers. Under Chirpa, she gets to her next attack even faster. And under Finn she is a nightmare for Separatists!
- Poe Dameron - Technically, Poe has leadership skills that could work in the above section, but he's best used as a backup tank. His taunt skill with Expose is still useful, and Poe has enough speed to do that in time to soak up plenty of damage. The problem is that he's a bore to play with, and his best days are behind him since he was nerfed.
- Ewok Elder - My favorite healer with resurrection capabilities, EE is a must under Chirpa or Teebo. His basic attack builds turn meter for the team, he can remove debuffs, and he's stronger than he looks. If you don't have him in Ground War, you're going to have a hard time finishing all 8 battles.
- Resistance Pilot - The generic Resistance Pilot is still a good toon to have in Ground War because of above-average speed and above-average attack. It also helps that he has a passive Foresight skill like a watered-down Rey, and that he does tons of damage when an enemy is exposed by Poe. Given the dearth of other options, you're probably going to include RP in Ground War.
Finn and Friends
Points to Remember
Really important items:
- The "Stand Aside" skill trades all your allies' turn meter for pseudo-super powers for a couple turns. Using this on a major hitter like Rey turn her into a killing machine. Just make sure that you either have defense up or a taunting tank to keep your other allies clean.
- You can only replay and beat the event once on a given day so play the hardest tier available. You don't want to use all your plays and earn lower rewards if you can beat the most difficult tier.
- There is no limit to how many tries you have to try to beat the Ground War in the first place, so mix and match your leaders and try different tactics. Sometimes all you need to get through the most difficult battles is a pinch of luck.