The Elder Scrolls Online Walkthrough - Mud Tree Village: Schism
Though most of the action in Shadowfen seems to seep out of Stormhold, there's plenty more trouble to be found in the region's outlying villages. One such hovel, tiny Mud Tree Village, has run into a bit of a problem with its working population - and you'll have to decide whether they should continue their slaving ways or choose a slightly more liberal path through life.
Location: Mud Tree Village
Reward: Stonegrinder's Dagger, 204 gold
- You'll find the NPC for this quest, Napetui, on the eastern outskirts of Mud Tree Village. The village is almost directly south of Stormhold.
- Napetui needs help. One of the villagers, Miharil, has entered the local mine. In doing so he's been captured by Goblins. You need to head in and help him out of there. Napetui suggests speaking to the mine's foreman, Surii Dreth, who apparently isn't popular 'round these parts.
- Dreth is in the blacksmithing station in the center of the village. Speak to her and she'll order you to steal the Goblins' totem, which will allow her to bargain with the creeps. She gives you five Food Scraps to deal with the Goblins without killing any, and if you can Persuade she'll give you a few more to ease your path. The chances are pretty good that you'll run out either way, so get as many as you can now to ease the path a little.
- Mud Tree Mine is in the southwest of the village. Pop inside once you're ready to fight.
- You'll face a combination of Goblin enemies and their doggish counterparts in the mine. They're not terribly difficult, but if you wish to bypass battles you can use the Food Scraps before engaging foes. This will distract them and allow you to pass unmolested. I suggest saving the Scraps for groups of three, if you bother using them at all.
- The first captive down here, Lenam Sero, is down your first right upon entering the mine.
- Return to the main path and continue straight ahead until you reach a wider room. The second captive, Eydvi Iron-Kettle, is kneeling on the ground to your left.
- The final captive, Miharil himself, is kneeling inside his hut at the far end of the cavern. Save him and he'll ask you to go steal the totem from the Goblin Chieftain, who's likely in their camp above the mine.
- Backtrack through the mine and go down the path where you found Lenam Sero. Follow it until the path splits, then take a right. This uphill jaunt will take you through a few more goblin squads and outside, to the top of the hill, where the Goblins make their home.
- Fight your way under the bridge straight ahead, through the lower camp, and onto the hill to your right. This path ultimately leads across the bridge and to the small sanctum of the Gnaw-Root Warchief. So long as you're fighting him and him alone, the Goblin is a pushover. Knock him off and you'll find the Goblin Totem on his body.
- After killing the Warchief, hop onto the rocks behind his small home and slide down the cliff. On your right you'll see a man slumped against a rock. Talk to Thragnar the Breaker and he'll ask you to beat on some more of the local Goblins, and after knocking them around, using the Totem to enforce their loyalty.
- Backtrack into the camp and hunt down six Goblins. Fight them separately or fight them alone, you just need to smack some HP off each one, get in close, and use the Goblin Totem. Do this and they'll immediately stop attacking and count towards your total. Mind that you do not kill them - you need only wound the Goblins until you receive the prompt to use the Totem.
- Return to the mine and look for Miharil's hut again. Thragnar's in here, and he, along with Miharil, will want the Goblin Totem. Give the Totem to your NPC of choice, depending on how you want things to go for the Goblins.
- Trek back to Mud Tree Village and speak to Napetui or Surii Dreth, depending on which side received your blessing. They'll hand over your reward.