"Diablo 3" Event Location Guide: The Matriarch's Bones (Defiled Crypts)
This guide will cover the Matriarch's Bones event in Diablo 3, providing information on how to complete and find it. Events like this are essentially small mini quests that often provide gold, experience and sometimes item rewards for completing a short task or series of closely related ones.
Diablo 3 Event & Location Guides Navigation
Here you can find more links to other guides covering various special events and locations along with how to find them, beat them and collect their associated Achievements.
- Crumbling Vault (Stinging Winds)
- Development Hell (Secret Area)
- Guardian Spirits (Stinging Winds)
- Jar of Souls (Defiled Crypt)
- Lair of the Lacuni (Abandoned Mineworks)
- Last Stand of the Ancients (Festering Woods)
- Matriarch's Bones (Defiled Crypts) <- you are here
- Prisoners of Kamyr (Dahlgur Oasis)
- Restless Sands (Stinging Winds)
- Revenge of Gharbad (Southern Highlands)
- Rygnar Idol (Chamber of the Lost Idol)
- Shrine of Rakanishu (Dahlgur Oasis)
- Tashun the Miner/The Precious Ores (Fields of Misery)
- Tomb of Khan Dakab (Dahlgur Oasis)
- Tomb of Sadar (Dahlgur Oasis)
- Whimsyshire (Secret Area)
Finding The Matriarch's Bones Event
This event will randomly spawn in one of the Defiled Crypts within the Cemetery of the Forsaken you have to search during the quest the Shattered Crown. It seems that it spawns in one of the two crypts which are dead ends, or are the wrong ones when searching for Leoric's Crown, being the medium sized of all three and always spawning this event or the Jar of Souls. If you see the entrance to a level 2 and have searched the rest of the level, then you should head back out, via town portal and waypoint if possible, to search another crypt. You can also come back to the Cemetery of the Forsaken from later in the act if you wish.
The event quest giver will be the crying ghost of a woman named Lady Dunhyld who will be seen moving around a relatively large, otherwise empty room with the telltale yellow exclamation mark over her head. Speak to her to start the event.
There is an achievement for completing this event and another specifically for doing so in co-op.
The Matriarch's Bones
"Grave robbers have defiled my tomb. Now my husband writhes in torment because I do not rest at his side. Return my bones so that we may rest in peace."
Help put the spirit of Lady Dunhyld to rest.
1. Search the Funerary Urns for the bones of Lady Dunhlyd. (0/3)
There are 3 Funerary Urns which will be marked on your map against the side of one of the walls opposite the couple's actual tombs. You need to run up to each one, one by one, and activate them by clicking on it to collect all of the Lady's remains.
Each time you activate a Funerary Urn, Lord Dunhyld, a unique Enraged Phantom will spawn and attack you along with a small host of Skeletons. Defeat each group after activating each of the urns to finish gathering the remains. There does not seem to be any particular noteworthy abilities of Lord Dunhlyd besides a stronger attack and more health. Each consecutive urn activated seems to also bring more Skeletons than the last.
2. Place Lady Dunhyld's bones into the Dunhyld Sarcophagus
At this point you are finished with the event. Just run to the opposite side of the room and activate the tombs to place the Lady's remains beside her husband's and receive a nice chunk of loot along with a gold and experience reward.
Unique Monster: Lord Dunhlyd
Undead "Phantom of Anguish"
Special Attacks: Slow
Reduces target's movement speed.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 SOE