How to Win the Blitzball Tournament in Final Fantasy X
Beat the Luca Goers in the First Tournament in FFX
It's easy to win the Final Fantasy X Blitzball Tournament, and you don't have to cheat to beat the Luca Goers!
The key to winning is to have Jassu hug the wall and carry it forward to get the ball to your shooter, pull defenders away with passes so they come at you one at a time, and use a special Shot -- it doesn't have to be Jecht Shot! -- to beat the goalie's defense.
See my diagram and/or the video demo below for how I get my shooter in scoring position.
This is one of my Final Fantasy X Secrets Guides. All screencaps are from . Final Fantasy X
Diagram: How to Get in Scoring Position
Jecht Shot or Sphere Shot?
Jecht Shot guarantees you score once. It lets Tidus punch out TWO defenders.
In the Crystal Cup Tournament against the Goers, you can't activate Jecht Shot until the second half. After 3 minutes, a cutscene interrupts. That's not much time!
Sphere Shot doesn't boost SH as much, but it takes MUCH less time. That means 2-3 chances to score.
So I use Sphere Shot in the first tournament, and Jecht Shot after that.
Keys to the Game - Blitzball Strategy 101
Sound Advice From Cap'n Wakka
Wakka's blitzball strategy needs just a little refinement:
- The instant you get the ball, hit square and pass it BACK to one of your defenders who's nowhere near any opponents. Jassu starts out more competent than Botta.
- The first time you ever play blitzball, CLICK TRIANGLE and switch to MANUAL A mode as soon as you get the ball to one of your rear defenders. This lets you steer the ball carrier. But do it AFTER you've passed the ball back (previous tip). Get the ball away from potential tackles first, THEN fiddle with controls.
- Carry the ball along the wall. It pulls defenders out of position.
- Pass up to Tidus or Wakka before Balgerda reaches Jassu, because she can beat him. Abus can't.
- Your goal is to draw all the defenders except Balgerda away from Tidus/Wakka, because Balgerda's attack is just a little weaker than their endurance.
More Blitzball Tips
- Unless you've got Tidus with Jecht Shot, pass the ball or break/dribble before you get two defenders on your ball carrier. Jecht Shot is the only thing that can bust through two defenders.
- Use a TECH -- Sphere Shot, Venom Shot -- to boost your shooter's SH higher than the goalie's CA/BL. Sphere Shot takes less time than Jecht Shot, so you can get more opportunities to score with it in a limited time.
- Play "Keep Away" by passing the ball to undefended teammates. Each completed pass gives the passer an experience point. It also keeps the Goers from getting the ball.You may want to play keep away through the first half, wait until the second half to start scoring. This is because you don't get a chance to activate TECHs until halftime.
Video Demonstrating My Blitzball Strategy
Holding the Lead
Stop the Goers from Scoring!
Keepa starts out as a lousy goalie, but there's three things that will save you.
- After the first goal, Graav (C) has a habit of going straight towards your goal, and will be tackled by 2-3 defenders. He often loses the ball then. Quick, pass it back to Jassu!
- PLAY KEEP AWAY. Once you have a 1-2 goal lead, keep passing the ball among Aurochs who don't have any defenders on them. Every completed pass is an experience point!
- If all else fails, cheat. I haven't tested this, but I hear there's a game glitch that the opponents won't go after the ball carrier if he swims right behind your goalcage.
What's the Prize, Anyway?
Here's what you get for winning the Blitzball Tournament against the Goers: --> Strength Sphere <--
In the cutscene after the tournament,
Wakka is holding the Crystal Cup.
Many NPCs in Luca and on the Highroad
congratulate you, including Luzzu and Gatta.
After Operation Mi'ihen, they're talking about
it all the way back to Besaid! The Goers and
their fans complain or (a few) give you props.
© 2009 auronlu