I am an avid video game player, and the "Final Fantasy" series is one of my all-time favorites.
How to Get Celestial Weapons in Final Fantasy X
The Celestial Weapons are the final, or "ultimate," weapons for each character in Final Fantasy X. They give characters powerful auto-abilities like Break Damage Limit, Triple Overdrive, and abilities especially useful to each character—such as Counterattack for Auron or Magic Booster for Lulu.
This guide will help you find them. I have included a "Hints" and "Spoilers" section for each weapon so you can choose if you want a little or a lot of help.
If you are totally fed up trying to get a Celestial Weapon, see the bottom of this page: Customizing an (Almost) Ultimate Weapon that simulates their abilities.
Note: Concept art and screencaps are from Final Fantasy X by Square-Enix. Glassy graphics and Photoshopping are by moi.
How to Get Celestial Weapons: Overview
Before you can collect all the Celestial Weapons, you must go on a little scavenger hunt first.
Your Scavenger Hunt List
To get a character's Celestial Weapon, you need:
- The Celestial Mirror: Found via two brief side-quests.
- That Character's Crest: Found in a chest near something significant to him/her.
- That Character's Sigil: Obtained via a minigame or quest.
- The Weapon Itself: It can be absolutely anywhere.
When you first find a Celestial Weapon, it's a dud. Activate it by taking it to the place where you activated the Celestial Mirror, along with the weapon's matching Sigil and Crest.
Celestial Weapon Tips
- You cannot get any Celestial Weapon until after Zanarkand, although you can collect some components on the way.
- When you power up a Celestial Weapon with Auron, Yuna, Wakka, Lulu or Kimahri's crests, they break damage limits for Yojimbo, Valefor, Ifrit, Shiva, and Ixion respectively. "Break Damage Limit" means that attack damage is no longer capped at 9,999 HP damage.
- Start catching for Monster Arena as soon as possible.
- Rikku's Godhand with Gillionaire is HANDY.
- Wakka, Rikku, Yuna, and Kimahri's Celestial Weapons earn double AP.
- If a particular weapon's quest is too much trouble, customize your own. I did this for years before getting Tidus' and Kimahri's.
Obtaining the Celestial Mirror
First, get the mirror. You need it to unlock chests with Celestial Weapons.
- Two sidequests.
- First, get a Chocobo in the Calm Lands, find a secret place, and finish a minigame. Then, go to Macalania Forest and help someone. Three someones, actually.
- Train a Chocobo. Can't find a trainer? See the map.
- Ride to SE Calm Lands, find a yellow feather, hit X. Find hidden temple through the canyon.
- Find a sphere on the ground outside the temple and follow instructions for the race. The mirror is the prize. Here's a map of the best route.
- Go to Macalania Forest save sphere (exit south of Calm Lands, go west, and then go SW). Reunite the scattered family.
- Father has wandered to clearing east of woods, north of the pool where Tidus and Yuna made out.
- Son moves to a shimmery overhead path in Macalania forest, in front of a big crystal seedpod.
- After reuniting family, return to crystal pod where you found son.
- Activate Mirror with X. Do the same with each weapon once you have it plus its crest and sigil.
Auron's Celestial Weapon: Masamune
Break Damage Limit, Triple Overdrive, First Strike, Counterattack
Auron's weapon does MORE damage when he's critically hurt. Also, powering up Masamune with Mars Crest gives Yojimbo Break Damage Limit.
- Mars Crest: Jecht and Auron fought a familiar boss 10 years ago and got pushed off a cliff.
- Mars Sigil: Gotta catch 'em all.
- Masamune: Two places significant to Crusaders are linked by a sword. Both are near or in canyons.
- Mars Crest: End of Mi'ihen Oldroad. Go to the north end of Highroad, backtrack SE.
- Mars Sigil: Go to Monster Arena in Calm Lands, catch 1 each of all fiends in 10 areas.
- Masamune: Find Rusty Sword in Gorge of Calm Lands, give it to Mi'ihen's statue in Grotto. just north of Mushroom Rock Road turnoff.
- Origin of Name "Masamune": Goro Nyudo Masamune; Japan's greatest swordsmith.
- Astrology: Mars is the god of war. (Duh.)
Tidus' Celestial Weapon: Caladbolg
Break Dmg Limit, Triple Overdrive, Evade & Counter, Magic Counter
It does more damage when Tidus' HP is full.
- Sun Crest: The heart of (real) Zanarkand.
- Sun Sigil: Blond-haired dudes race chocobos.
- Caladbolg: A sentinel guarding a secret in Calm Lands needs to be distracted.
- Sun Crest: Return to and search Yunalesca's lair (funky teleport-stairs work, too). Chest appears near the back stairs.
- Sun Sigil: Beat Chocobo trainer in race with a score of 0.0. I've done it, but . . . aight.
- Caladbolg: Beat Chocobo trainer with ANY time, then quit. Guy blocking path on n. side of Calm Lands comes here to gawk. Ride north to get there while he's gone. (You'll need Mirror to unlock sword's hiding place.)
- Origin of the Name "Caladbolg": "Great Sword" of Irish mythology.
- Astrology: Tidus = Sun, Yuna = Moon, but more than that: Tidus means "Sun" in Ryukyu dialect, from honorific for an Okinawan king. "Yuna" means "night" in the same dialect, the term for hibiscus flower which decorates her skirt.
Yuna's Celestial Weapon: Nirvana
Break Damage Limit, Triple Overdrive, Double AP, One MP Cost
It does more damage when Yuna's MP is full. Power up with Moon Crest to give Break Damage Limit to Valefor.
- Moon Crest: Yuna waved goodbye while facing it.
- Moon Sigil: Finish Aeon training with Belgemine.
- Nirvana: Monster Arena Coot, Calm Lands.
- Moon Crest: Swim to side-cove on Besaid Beach, opposite dock.
- Moon Sigil: Obtain all Aeons, defeat all Belgemine's Aeons, and do what she asks (aww).
- Nirvana: Capture one of each monster in Calm Lands for Monster Arena Coot.
- Origin of the Name "Nirvana": Enlightenment in Buddhism by ending the cycle of reincarnation and breaking free from the spiral of life's suffering—the plot of FFX on a stick!
Lulu's Celestial Weapon: Onion Knight
Break Damage Limit + Triple Overdrive + 1 MP Cost + Magic Booster
It does more damage when Lulu's MP is full. Also, powering up Knight with Venus Crest gives Shiva Break Damage Limit.
- Venus Crest: Lulu talks to the dead.
- Venus Sigil: Thunder Plains.
- Onion Knight: Underwater, and not Gagazet.
- Venus Crest: Revisit the Farplane in Guadosalam. (It's not available during your first visit.)
- Venus Sigil: Dodge 200 lightning bolts in the same room/location of Thunder Plains. Tip: Exit Travel Agency north and stand just south of where its sidepath joins the main path. Zap. Step forward. Zap. Step forward. Fairly easy there, especially if you get a NO-ENC weapon from the boss battle where Onion Knight is.
- Onion Knight: It's in the deep spot in the pool outside of Baaj Temple. You'll need to unlock airship secret coordinates to get here and fight a pretty nasty boss with Stone Punch. See this video for the chest's exact location.
- Origin of the Name: Onion Knight was a job class in FFIII (now available on iOS/Android!), and later a character in Dissidia. I've also run into Prince Onion in anime. I have a hunch there may be a folklore reference.
- Astrology: Venus is the goddess of love and sensuality—and secret lover of Mars. I'm just sayin'.
Wakka's Celestial Weapon: World Champion
Break Damage Limit, Triple Overdrive, Evade & Counter, Double AP
It does more damage when Wakka's HP is full. Power up with Jupiter Crest to give Break Damage Limit to Ifrit.
Jupiter Crest: His best memories are here.
Jupiter Sigil: Blitzball!
World Champion: Bartender in Luca is a fan.
- Jupiter Crest: In a locker in Auroch's locker room.
- Jupiter Sigil: Prize in Blitzball season or tournament after getting all Wakka's Reels.
- World Champion: Play a few games of Blitzball, then talk to cafe Luca's bartender.
- Blitzball Tip: At end of the season (it's 10 rounds), exit and save. Play Blitzball. if neither Reels nor Sigil shows as the prize for the new season, restart. See my Blitzball Tournament Guide for a handy beginner trick.
- Astrology: Jupiter is the king of gods, sky-god, and hurler of lightning bolts. I'm not sure if it's referring to Wakka's personality, or blitz ("lightning").
Rikku's Celestial Weapon: Godhand
Break Damage Limit + Triple Overdrive + Double AP + Gillionaire
It does more damage when Rikku's HP is full.
- Mercury Crest: Almost Home!
- Mercury Sigil: Cactuars.
- Godhand: Search Calm Lands for hidden inscription; follow instructions. Tip: Hold down circle to WALK; use the D-pad.
Mercury Chest: In the pit in the area south of Home.
Mercury Sigil: Activate the Cactuar Stone in Bikanel Desert SE of Home, and search for 10 Cactuars! Can't find some? I've drawn a map (and guide)!
Godhand: Can't find it? Me neither. The password is "GODHAND." (Enter on airship map.)
Astrology: Mercury = Hermes, the nimble-fingered thief of the gods—as well as the god of money.
Kimahri's Celestial Weapon: Spirit Lance
Break Damage Limit + Triple Overdrive + Double AP + Evade & Counter
It does more damage when Kimahri's HP is full. Powering up Spirit Lance with Saturn Crest unlocks Ixion's Break Damage Limit.
- Saturn Crest: Gagazet. Pillars.
- Saturn Sigil: Butterflies ARGH.
- Spirit Lance: Al Bhed riddle in ruins outside Baaj gives location.
- Saturn Crest: Just before you get to Fayth Wall on Mt. Gagazet, a chest is almost hidden behind a pillar.
- Saturn Sigil: Finish BOTH Butterfly hunts after you get Airship (prizes change throughout the game). See maps.
- Spirit Lance (Baaj Inscription): "In the land where bolts of light / illuminate the blackest night / With Macalania behind / the fourth pillar you sight / look not on the left but on the right." This means a tower in Thunder Plains. The easiest way, though, is to unlock three glowing Cactuar Stones with a square button to get a ghostly Cactuar that will lead you to the correct tower. It's the short, busted one on the right, first area north of Guadosalam, where Bilghen was killed. Click Square while facing the broken tower—it may take a few tries to find the exact spot.
- Astrology: Deposed by his son Jupiter, Saturn was portrayed in Roman mythology as a stodgy, tradition-minded grandfather figure, ruling over a lost golden age. In astrology, he's a symbol of limits, responsibilities, time, and commitments.
Caladhbolg Original vs. HD Remaster
Pick Your Ultimate Weapon!
Sidequests: At Least They're Better Than Matchmaking and PR Campaigns
What About Your Least Favorite? I'd Rather Just Customize a Weapon . . .
How to Activate Your Celestial Weapons
Ok, so you have the weapons . . . now what? Read on for activation instructions!
Grab your goodies and go to that big glowing seedpod on the aerial path in Macalania Forest where you found the kid during the Celestial Mirror Quest. Press X.
Each Weapon is halfway powered up when you use the Crest (it at least gets Break Damage Limit, and some give Break Damage Limits to Aeons).
Then come BACK with the Sigil to "finish the ritual."
Customize an (Almost) Ultimate Weapon
For those who are saying, "Forget that minigame, I just want to kick ass," follow these instructions.
Buy four-empty-slot weapons from Wantz in Macalania Forest near the south entrance.
Then add the auto-abilities of your choice. Here are my favorites:
- Break Damage Limit: Do over 9,999 Damage - 60x Dark Matter
- Counterattack: Hit back when attacked - 1x Friend Sphere
- Evade & Counter: Dodge AND hit back - 1x Teleport Sphere
- Overdrive: -> AP - Rack up AP - 10x Doors to Tomorrow
- Triple AP: Helps max sphere grid! - 50x Wings to Discovery
- Triple Overdrive: Useful with Overdrive -> AP - 30x Winning Formula
I've Finally Collected Them All!
I've finally collected all the Celestial Weapons, but for years I only picked up Auron, Yuna, Lulu, and Wakka's. How about you? Leave a comment below!
© 2010 auronlu
Which Celestial Weapons Have You Gotten?
John on November 15, 2017:
Got all Celestial Weapons except for Lulu's Onion Knight. Can never dodge all 200 lightning strikes since I get tired somewhere between 150 - 200.
Jason on December 29, 2015:
I always get Celestials for Auron, Tidus, Yuna and Rikku. I can do Kimahri's but he tends to vanish in the postgame grind for me. Never played enough Blitz for Wakka but trying to change that on this playthrough. As for Lulu, screw 200 lightning bolts!!!! Im sure i could do it if i concentrated but my mind always flies away. It's just so mind-numbing! Also, im pretty sure Black Mage characters become pretty moot at this point so she'd take a lot of effort to bring in line... shame :/
anonymous on August 16, 2012:
Hmm... I've gotten Tidus', Lulu's, Auron's, and Wakka's but never could unlock them. BUT I did unlock Yuna's, Rikku's, and Kimahri's successfully! :D
anonymous on August 06, 2012:
all got them
anonymous on July 26, 2012:
anonymous on April 29, 2012:
I have Yuna's Nirvana, Kimahri's Spirit Lance, Rikku's Godhand, and Auron's Masamune... Still need to find Sigils for Tidus' Caladbolg and Lulu's Onion Knight and doesn't have Wakka's World Champion nor the Sigil for it.
Willow Wood on April 06, 2012:
I'm terrible at finding the Celestial weapons. I'm such an impatient person and I'm far more interested in the story than my stats. Maybe one day my competitive side will shine through and I'll actually find more of the damn things. I've only ever found Godhand and Spirit Lance - the two characters I use least!
anonymous on February 23, 2011:
I try to pretend to be dedicated. But getting all of them is a chore. Tidus Auron Yuna every time. I never need anyone else's, apart from maybe Wakka. I have terrible luck with getting reels as rewards though. I only get his for the monster arena bosses that are almost impossible to hit.
auronlu (author) from Spira on December 24, 2010:
@anonymous: I always get Masamune because I just stick FFX on during my long Momcalls: speakerphone on phone, plus mute button on TV, is a lifesaver. ;) It's one of my favorites, as far as watching Auron do major damage.
The ones that take coordination (Caladbolg, Spirit Lance) are rough on those of us with arthritic hands!
anonymous on December 24, 2010:
In one file I got the Nirvanna, Godhand and the Cadlburg.
In my new better file, I got the Nirvanna, Onion Knight, almost Godhand.... working on World Champion... SCREW CHOCOBOS! and I haven't really bothered with Sirit Lance or Masumae... so yeah.