Final Fantasy X: Tips and Strategy
Master FFX With these Tips and Tactics!
Here's some great tips, strategies, and tricks for Final Fantasy X!
What to do with Kimahri? Why loan gil to Oa'ka? What's the best use for a Moogle? How can you get Gil or AP (experience) in a hurry? Is Yojimbo really worth the money I paid to hire him, and if so, how? Where can I get free potions? What are the best ways to use different characters?
Find the answers to these questions and more among the FFX tips and hints below!
This page is part of my Final Fantasy X Secrets series of guides.
All images are screencaps of by Final Fantasy XSquare-Enix.
[Update March 2014: Nearly all of these tips work for the , although you may have to adapt a few of them if you're using the Expert Sphere Grid. Just watch out and save often when doing sidequests, as there will be powerful Dark Aeons parked in some areas late in the game that can wipe out your party.] HD remaster
Twelve Great FFX Party Tips
Everybody's Got a Role to Play
- Send Kimahri down Rikku's path first so he gets Steal and Use very early. Steal Petrify Grenades from Basilisks on Djose Highroad; they're powerful for both armor customization and difficult foes. Giving Kimahri Steal also lets you nab lots of Level 3 Key Spheres from Biran and Yenke.
- Kimahri's Lancet ability recharges MP, so after he gets Steal/Use, turn him into a Black Mage, or send him on Wakka's path so you've got two people with Dark and Sleep Attacks.
- All boss battles are easier with Haste!
- Give Yuna that Strength Sphere you got for winning the blitzball tournament. Her aeons' strength is tied to her strength.
- Unless you're in a very dangerous area, don't use potions to heal between battles. Bring Yuna into each battle to Pray or heal so she gets AP. Remember, many overdrive modes charge through hurt/healing!
- Wakka's Dark Attack turns large fliers like Zus and Garudas into wimps, and his Sleep Attack lets you knock out one of two bruisers like Dual-horns, Chimeras, Basilisks while you deal with the other.
- Rikku has some powerful mixes using Map, available for 50 gil from the Thunder Plains and Macalania Agencies or Rin on the airship.
- Stonestrike, Stone Breath and/or Petrify Grenades finish off most fiends with one hit, although you won't get an Overkill Bonus. Buy a Stonestrike weapon from O'aka at Operation Mi'ihen.
- Don't waste Esunas on Auron when he's Confused; slap him with a Moogle! (Or have Rikku bop him, but the Moogle is more amusing).
- Use Rikku as a scout. Customize a Claw with Sensor. At the start of battle, have her examine each monster's vulnerabilities by attacking but not choosing a target; then cancel and Steal instead.
- Auron's Zombie Attack makes healing items/spells damage enemies. Suddenly Yuna can clobber things.
- Auron's Threaten often removes Berserk-- oh, is that what it's for?
Final Fantasy X Top Tip
You probably know this, but:
Rotate in each character to perform 1 action so he/she earns AP for that battle.
To fit everyone in, some can Steal, Pray, or Guard. Or hit Triangle to defend.
Eleven Elegant FFX Aeon Tips
- As soon as you leave Besaid Village, turn back, talk to shopkeeper, then go to weaver's hut opposite Crusaders' Lodge and talk to the doggie! It's dug up an extra Overdrive for Valefor (huh?)
- Aeons' stats increase after the party fights 60 battles (with or without Yuna); from then on after every 30 battles.
- Aeons are immune to status effects, but those attacks still boost their overdrives.
- Ifrit, Ixion, and Shiva can heal themselves with Fire, Thunder, or Blizzard respectively (each is healed by his/her own element.)
- Use aeons as shields against elements: Ifrit against Bombs, Ixion against machina with Electrocute.
- Recharge aeon's overdrives in random battles so they'll be ready in boss battles. Or summon them in a boss battle, let their overdrives charge up, then Dismiss them and bring them back in for the kill!
- Use weapons with Sensor to monitor boss HP, and finish off bosses with aeon Overdrives for the best chance of Overkill.
- Acquiring and powering up the Celestial Weapons of Wakka, Lulu, Auron, Kimahri and Yuna will Break Damage Limit for Ifrit, Shiva, Yojimbo, Ixion, and Valefor respectively. That is, they can then inflict more than 9,999 HP damage.
- She's got low HP, but many critters won't attack Valefor because she's flying.
- Always pay Yojimbo 1,000 gil, make sure he never gets killed in battle, and use him a lot, and his chance of using Zanmato increases higher and higher. Here's a Yojimbo FAQ that teaches you how.
- In the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth, attack Urns with Aeons to get prizes. When you guess wrong and the urn explodes, it'll recharge your aeon's Overdrive. (Or, at low levels, KO the Aeon. Sorry.)
Tired of Magic Urns when you're Catching fiends in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth?
Summon aeons against Magic Urn.
On each hit, they'll collect an item, until the Urn blows up and charges their overdrive.
Use the Aeons menu and buff HP and Def a bit if they're not surviving the blast.
Eight Great Overdrive Tips
- Replenish Overdrives fast using Auron's Guard Ability with his Overdrive Mode set to Stoic, everyone else's to Comrade. Better once he gets Counterattack or Sentinel.
- Those terminals telling you about upcoming fiends are handy for charging up overdrives: any damage taken during the simulation is erased.
- Use Tidus' Overdrives as often as his gauge is full; he gets new Overdrives after he's used 10, 30, and 80 overdrives.
- Be sure to have Kimahri Lancet on Biran and Yenke 3-4 times to get multiple Overdrives, and Lancet Omega Weapon for Nova.
- Auron gets new overdrives when you find 1, 3, and 10 spheres. Shooting Star (gotten after the Spherimorph battle) is hilarious on a big monster like a Marlboro or Sand Worm. Banishing Blade (gained after 3 Jecht Spheres collected) inflicts all four Breaks. You can backtrack and find 9 of the ten Jecht Spheres after the Spherimorph battle; otherwise you have to wait until after Bevelle.
- Get Wakka's Overdrives faster by exiting and saving at the end of each season. Then Play Blitzball and look at the prize for the next season or tournament. If it's not a Reel, reset your game and try again. Once he has Break Damage Limit, his Attack Reels can do up to 12x99,999, the most for any party member.
- Use Flare Fury for Lulu's Overdrive. Every time I use Demi or Ultima, the @$#! boss turns out to be immune. You might have Auron Mental Break first to "peel the fruit" for her.
- It's worth checking out Rikku's Mix List and jotting down a few favorites. I like Mighty G because it's cheap (Two Ability Distillers or Light Curtain + Al Bhed Potion), Calamity Bomb (med. damage + status effects on all enemies), and the best damage is Trio of 9999.
Rikku's Overdrives: A Dangerous Mix!
FFX Videos: Leveling / AP Tips - For the Monster Arena Bosses
Seven Leveling Tips For Final Fantasy X
Best Ways to Get AP (Ability Points)
- Overkill gives extra AP as well as double items.
- Early leveling: In the battle with Sin on the ferry kill vast #s of Siinscales before tackling Sin. They all give AP.
- You'll get tons of Level 1 Key Spheres during and shortly after Operation Mi'ihen, so don't pass Level 1 Locks.
- Midgame leveling: Endless pursuers pour out of Macalania Temple when you flee. Slow but effective way to get gil/AP.
- Late game leveling: Customize a weapon (Like a monster catcher) with Overdrive -> AP, Double Overdrive and/or Triple Overdrive. It takes 10x Door to Tomorrow for Overdrive -> AP (you'll get 99 when you capture 1 of each monster from six areas and unlock Catastrophe). It takes 30x Underdog's Secret for Double Overdrive; you get 99x Underdog's Secret from Rin after getting all Al Bhed Primers. It takes 30x Winning Formula for Triple Overdrive; you'll get x99 for unlocking Neslug (1 of each monster from every area).
- You'll rack up tons of AP while catching fiends for the Monster Arena.
- Omega Ruins is the place to level once you're buff.
Seven Steps to Become a Gillionaire
Where to get Money in Final Fantasy X
- Lend O'aka 10,001 gil before Operation Mi'ihen (the last place you can do this is on the Mi'ihen Oldroad, which branches off to the right just before the Checkpoint). Then he'll give you a 30% discount compared to other shops.
- Customized weapons sell for more than weapons with blank slots.
- Four slot armor sells for 25K each. Common drop inside Sin.
- Park outside Macalania Temple when all the Guado are chasing you for gil mid-game.
- Omega Ruins Mimics give you 50,000 gil or 100,000 gil with the Gillionaire auto-ability (Rikku's Celestial Weapon has it).
- Capture 10 of each monster in Besaid (use Monster Arena Checklist) and get awarded 99 Stamina Tonics. (Use any in your inventory before going there or they're erased). Customize a 1-slot armor with 1 Stamina Tonic to give it HP+30%, and then sell armor for about 28,000K.
- Once you're strong, use the Kottos gil farming trick. Sell off stuff you don't need, buy tons of 4 slotted armor from Kilika. Capture 1 of each monster on Mi'ihen Highroad and Kottos appears in Monster Arena. Overkill Kottos for 40x Healing Springs. 12x Customizes SOS Regen on armor. Sell armor back for 60 times what you paid for it. You can fight Kottos again and again.
Twelve Random Final Fantasy X Tips
Miscellaneous Tricks in FFX
- If a monster casts Reflect, you can Dispel it or cast Reflect on the party to bounce spells off of you onto it and vice versa (spells only Reflect once).
- Bribe usually works if you give 20 x monsters's HP. If it fails, keep Bribing -- for 0 gil! Bribe nets rare items.
- Zombies are damaged by healing items and White Magic. Remember this in Zanarkand.
- Extra potions early: (1) In the opening scene, talk to a girl in pink on the path to Zanarkand blitzball stadium for 2 potions. (2) On the Salvage Ship, dive down until you're in the next area, then resurface and talk to Al Bhed for endless potions [up to 99]. (3) On the ride from Besaid to Kilika, kick a suitcase down in the hold for potions; it'll keep dispensing them until your inventory has 20.
- After Seymour gives a rousing speech to the Crusaders, backtrack and talk to the Checkpoint sentry on the right for a Tough Bangle for Lulu (great armor).
- Customize Catcher weapons with Stonestrike or Deathstrike to catch fiends with one hit. (Although this doesn't Overkill them, so decide how much you need the double drops/AP).
- There are four Al Bhed Primers that you can't go back to in Home and in Bevelle. See my Al Bhed Primer Locations guide for screenshots, and how to get them using a Compilation Sphere if you've missed them!
- If you tell Clasko he'd make a better Chocobo Breeder, he'll wind up on the ferry between Besaid and Kilika, and he'll give you a Friend Sphere.
- If you return any time after Operation Mi'ihen, the lady on the upper deck of the S.S. Winno (ferry between Luca and Kilka) gives you a weapon for Wakka with +35 MP boosts if you do a simple minigame.
- Visit the Chambers of the Fayth after your final audience with Mika to get lots of rare spheres.
- The boss guarding Baaj Temple (see my secret locations guide) drops a No-Encounter weapon, useful for finishing Lulu's Celestial Weapons quest. Unfortunately, it's a nasty boss!
- Easy Blitzball Leveling: Every successful pass gives a player 1EXP, so be sure to throw "around the horn" (Center to right defender to left defender) each time you get the ball, and pass lots once your team is ahead.
© 2010 auronlu
More by this Author
Oh, those pesky Cactuars. Maddening and quick and...where ARE THEY? Here's my map and guide to the Sanubia Desert on Bikanel Island to help you find them.
Are you on a quest to collect all the Celestial Weapons, the ultimate weapons in Final Fantasy X? Here's what insane challenges you have to overcome to find them.
Here's my strategy guide for taking out Final Fantasy bosses. Sorry, this is the original North American version; you'll need to find another guide for Dark Aeons.