I am an avid video game player, and the "Final Fantasy" series is one of my all-time favorites.
How to Master FF5 Jobs and Farm Gil!
Final Fantasy V is a wonderfully goofy and fun game. Yes, its characters and plot are a bit thin, but I can't hear you because of all the job class awesomeness.
There are so many fun combinations to play with. However, you need to do some grinding to level up FFV jobs. Here are my shortcuts.
I recommend that you do not buy the Anthology version of FFV. Its script/translation is flatter than Fusuyo after a TPKO. Get FFV on iOS or Game Boy Advance. Or do what I originally did: after each Anthology playing session, read the GBA script to discover all the zany banter you missed.
World 1: Cave of the Death Squirrels
Jachol Cave is accessible after you acquire the Fire Ship. Jachol is way down south on the western continent. Here's a map.
My favorite walkthrough/tips site, Final Fantasy V: Spirit of Heroes, recommends spending as little time as possible in this cave because the squirrels will kill you dead. They also multiply into five if you're foolish enough to smack them with most kinds of magic.
However, they are vulnerable to Earth Magic (Stalactite or Cave-in only; the others are duds). Defeating them nets you five ABP, the best you can do at this stage of the game, and each Skull Eater drops 100 gil.
Therefore, you'll need:
- At least two people with Geomancer's Earth/Gaia ability.
- White Magic Raise spell and/or lots of Phoenix Downs, which can be bought in Jachol Village to the south.
- Optional: Ranger/Hunter's "summon animal friends" magic can be handy, if you've gotten as far as the Chocobo Forest.
- Spam Gaia/Earth on the Skull Eaters. You should have at least two people casting this in case one goes down.
- Don't waste extra MP on healing; just Raise/Phoenix Down as needed.
- Equip any Elven Mantles you've got, and/or First Strike from the Ninja, to minimize Skull Eater's chances to hit people.
- If you've mastered the !Animals/!Critters ability, give it to one of your non-Earth-mages and check that Animal summoner's equipment weighs less so that he/she has the highest agility and goes first.
- Visit Jachol Village for an Inn or restock of Phoenix Downs as needed.
World 2-3: The Sealed Castle
After the Battle on the Big Bridge, you find yourselves near a town by the name of Lugor. Er, Regole. Or maybe Rugor. Dang those variant translations. Anyway, its shops have all sorts of weapons and goodies, and you can't afford all of them, right?
There's a Sealed Castle to the south whose gil-heavy Shield Dragons are too powerful for you to tackle yet. However, they're vunerable to Control, the level 2 ability of Beastmaster/Mediator. They drop 5 ABP, 1000 gil, and 10,000 XP.
- Have at least one character with Control, maybe more.
- Raise/Phoenix downs for emergencies.
- Steal is also handy, if you can sneak it in, as Shield Dragons have a rare Gold Shield steal.
- Enter the front lobby of the castle. Do not proceed past it.
- Spam Control on the Shield Dragon.
- Command it to cast Blaze/Flame on itself.
- Whatever you do, do not let anybody hit it, because that kicks off Control.
- Steal and heal while the dragon is helpless.
If you're getting killed too much, just move on. You'll be able to come back here later, and there's an even better grinding spot coming up shortly.
World 2: Bal (Val) Castle Basement
Here's the best place in the game for ABP grinding and a good spot for gil farming: the basement of Galuf's castle. Go out of the throne room and head downstairs on the right. There's a handy save point one floor above this grinding spot.
Objet d'Art yields 4 ABP if you fight the pair, or 8 ABP if you fight all 5. Each statue drops 507 gil. XP is only 100, so Shield Dragon beats them, but it's the jobs you're trying to master, right?
There are two strategies, depending on whether you've acquired Level 5 Death. Either way, you should stock up on Gold Needles in the shop on the west side of the castle: about 15 if you have the Blue Magic spell Death, or 90 if you do not.
Death Level 5 Strategy:
- Character 1: Lance, Dance or Dancing Dagger
- Character 2: Steal
- Character 3: Lance, Dance or Dancing Dagger
- Character 4: Blue Magic, Death Level 5 (Cost: 22MP)
During set-up, try to give character four the heaviest equipment (Kornago Gourd, Hypno Crown, e.g.) and lowest agility so that he/she goes last.
Repeat until character four runs out of MP, then rotate abilities and equipment so that they're recharging MP and someone else is in the fourth slot.
If you run out of Blue Magic, then Item > Gold Needle > target statue will vaporize one Objet d'Art. Keep in mind that Gold Needles will un-petrify.
Go upstairs to save and head to the middle building of the castle to rest at an Inn. Check your items now and then; if you've stolen 99 Hi-Potions or racked up 99 Gold Needle drops, sell some of them in the shops on the west side of the castle.
Gold Needles Strategy:
If you don't have the Death Level 5 spell, just use the Item command to toss Gold Needles at the statues. This is a little slower than the Death spell (which eliminates all statues in one pop), and you'll have to keep buying more Gold Needles from Castle Bal's shop.
© 2013 auronlu
Guestbook - Hope this helps!
Volderen on June 19, 2016:
Does Esuna work as well?