FFX-2: Getting AP, EXP the Easy Way
Cheat for Mastering Final Fantasy X-2 Dresspheres
Lost your old Final Fantasy X-2 save files? Don't want to play another 100 hours to re-master all dresspheres? Use this easy, hands-free cheat to rack up AP, EXP and Gil quickly and painlessly for yourself while playing Final Fantasy X-2.
Update for Remaster: I haven't been able to test step #5 below on Vita. If any Vita users find this guide and manage to adapt step #5 so it works on a handheld game, please tell us in the guestbook and give yourself a hand!
WARNING: This speed leveling trick takes some of the fun out of playing FFX2. You'll miss out on learning to use each new ability as you unlock it. But this will speed up the game if you've already played the game before, and just want to re-master a few dresspheres (for example, if you're a cosplayer needing a Gun Mage's Level 3 Scan ability, which is really handy for viewing costume details).
Easy AP / EXP Trick for Final Fantasy X-2
- Needed: (A) Speed Bracer, (B) as many defense and/or HP-boosting accessories and Garment Grids as possible, (C) optional but useful: Lure Bracer.
- Put Speed Bracer on White Mage, your healer for this operation, defense / HP boosting on everybody. Lure Bracer on non-healer. Do NOT put Speed Bracer on non-healers.
- Switch other two members to a dressphere you'd like to master. At least one MUST have Attack ability. If only one Attacker, make her a Berserker or some other higher-strength dressphere.
- Go to Besaid, take the trail towards the beach, and drop down onto the rocks below the bridge (see screenshot at top of page for where to jump down).
- Here's the stupid part. Get two rubber bands or several twisties plus a pen. Strap down the X button -- it MUST stay down -- and use another rubber band to keep the left-stick tilted left. See photo below.
- Result: Yuna runs until she hits an encounter. X pressed down means attackers will attack, while the speeded-up White Mage will heal them with Pray. Speed Bracer ensures healer gets a healing spell off before fighters finish off opponents.
- IMPORTANT: Test for a few battles to make sure it's working. (Chief problem: if X button stops being mashed, girls stand around drooling until monsters eat them.)
- If party is so low they're losing more HP each battle than the mage heals, use TWO white mages Praying and level one non-healer at a time.
- Once you've verified they're surviving, leave party to fight monsters while you do chores. Check occasionally and take them back to save sphere to save progress.
- Two accessories found in Chapter 5 triple (AP Egg) or double (Key to Success) AP growth. AP Egg is a Blitzball prize; Key to Success is the final award if you complete the Moonflow mission 100% and do NOT defeat Garik on Mt. Gagazet. This precludes getting 100% for the whole game on your first play-through, but the Key is powerful indeed: Double AP, EXP, gil, HP, MP, Luck!
Cheesy, but when you're replaying for the umpteenth time...
Another cheat: Saved Games
If you have a backwards-compatible PS3 (mine has finally died, alas), you can download a FFX-2 saved game file from GameFAQs with all dresspheres (see tutorial on how to get the file onto your PS3 or Vita). I haven't located an archive for saved PS3 games for the FFX-2 remaster. Then again, I'm not quite that lazy.
More Game Tips
My Final Fantasy X Secrets series has tips, locations for hard-to-find items, and interesting, in-depth info about the backstories and characters of FFX.
© 2011 auronlu
More by this Author
Here's miscellaneous tips and strategy from a die-hard fan of Final Fantasy X. I think the game's a bit easy, but that's probably because I've played it too much.
Are you on a quest to collect all the Celestial Weapons, the ultimate weapons in Final Fantasy X? Here's what insane challenges you have to overcome to find them.
The Final Fantasy games are known for chocobos, excessive zippers and belts, unusual job classes, and of course, katanas large enough to harpoon a T-rex. Let's look back at some of FF's Bigass Swords.
Guestbook - Got other FFX-2 tips? Share 'em here!
No comments yet.