Final Fantasy X Cactuar Sidequest
How to Get Into the Cactuar Village in FFX
Next up on my Final Fantasy X Secrets series, here's my detailed map of Bikanel Island showing locations of all the Cactuars in the FFX Cactuar Sidequest (as far as I can tell, the HD remaster is exactly the same for this quest.)
You have to finish this quest to get into the Cactuar Village, which is "blocked by a sandstorm." That's where you'll find the Mercury Sigil needed for Rikku's Ultimate Weapon, Godhand. (See my FFX Celestial Weapons Guide if you're stumped on ultimate weapon quests.)
General Notes on FFX Cactuar Sideqeust
A few tips...
To complete this Sidequest, you'll need:
- To touch the Cactuar Stone south of the sandstorm-filled valley in the NE sector of Bikanel Island. However, this only works AFTER Zanarkand.
- To find each of ten Cactuars and return their sphere to the Cactuar Stone.
It's not necessary to win the Cactuar Tag minigames; losers receive a "Sphere de Perdedor" [Sphere of the Loser] that still counts for the Sidequest. Winners of the tag game receive a a prize (see below), but apart from the Friend Sphere, the prizes are all fairly plentiful items.
TIP: Do the Cactuar Sidequest in conjunction with the monster catching sidequest.
You will probably want a NO-ENCOUNTER weapon. One is dropped by that nasty "Stone Punch" boss at Baaj. Or you can customize one with 30 Purifying Salts, which can be stolen from Monks in the Zanarkand Ruins.
Cactuar Locations & Map
Here are the locations of the ten Cactuar Gatekeepers. Some of them are hiding and won't come out until you perform an extra action.
- 1) Tomay: Oasis (where you beam down from the airship)
- 2) Rovivea: Sanubia Desert - East
- 3) Chava: Sanubia Desert - West (touch sign)
- 4, 5) Alek & Aloja: Sanubia Desert - Central
- 6) Vachella: Sanubia Desert - East (save sphere)
- 7) Robeya: Sanubia Desert - Central (in chest)
- 8) Isrra: Sanubia Desert - West (leave area & return)
- 9) Elio: Oasis (approach from n, beam up)
- 10) Flaile: Sanubia Desert - East
(You'll meet the final Gatekeeper after returning the ninth Cactuar Sphere.)
Please link to this page instead of reposting my map anywhere else! Thanks.
What Prizes Do You Get For Defeating Cactuars?
Each time you encounter a Cactuar, it challenges you to a red-light green-light style minigame, in which you have to try to sneak up on it.
After installing the last sphere in the Cactuar Stone south of their village, you get a prize based on how many Cactuars you beat: Potion (0-2), Elixir (3-5), Megalixir (6-7), Friend Sphere (8-10).
For what it's worth, several monsters in the Omega Ruins drop Friend Spheres (which are useful for adding the "Counterattack" skill to weapons.)
Personally, my reflexes aren't good enough to score better than an Elixir or Megalixir at best. How about you?
Cactuar Quest Poll
How many Cactuars did you defeat in the game of tag?
Video Walkthrough of Cactuar Sidequest
© 2012 auronlu