10+ Must-Have Mods for "The Sims 4"
"Mods" short for modifications, are user-created files which modify or add more to the regular game. Since Sims 2 was released, fans have been creating mods and sharing them online.
The options for mods are pretty diverse. I've seen everything from one for The Sims 2 which added horses to the game (and yes, Sims could even ride them— and this was way before the Pets expansion pack added horses to The Sims 3), to one for The Sims 3 which added in a working ferris wheel. Some are much less complex, just restructuring the regular game files to add in or change things (like a Sims 3 mod which allows late night bars to stay open 24 hours instead of closing at 2 a.m., or the most famous mod of all, the one that removes the pixelation on nude Sims and replaces it with body parts).
Whether you're new to the modding world or can't run a Sims game without custom content (CC) and mods, here are some great Sims 4 mods that every Simmer will want to add to their game!
This article will be regularly updated to include the newest/coolest mods!
How to Install Mods in "The Sims 4"
Before we get down to the nitty gritty, you should probably learn how to install a mod into your game.
The Sims 4 makes it easier than ever: simply download the mod in question, unzip the files (they will typically end in .package), and then drag and drop them into the "Mods" folder, which is already located in your Sims files (navigate to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods to locate).
Some mods have more complex instructions, so make sure to read the "Installation Notes" when downloading.
If you're still stuck with installing mods or need help with troubleshooting, be sure to check out my article, How to Install Custom Content and Mods in The Sims 4 (PC & Mac).
Though all of these mods have been tested and should work functionally with your game, be aware that 3rd party content could potentially cause damage. Always download from trusted sites/users who have tested their content before sharing, and always be sure to backup your game files BEFORE installing mods and other CC. If you do run into any issues after installation, remove the mod from your game and consider informing its creator about the issue.
1. MC Command Center
I can't play my game without this one- and it's a BIG one in the Sims community. MC Command Center is what we used to know as "story progression," which wasn't included in The Sims 4. It allows your neighborhood to grow and thrive without your direct interaction. Download MC Command Center so your Sims can get married, have children, find jobs, and basically live their lives, even if you aren't playing with them.
You can also add in additional modules which will allow the game to clean up your neighborhood by deleting homeless Sims and ghosts, allowing you to set default makeup and clothes on townies, allows you to delete all vampires or aliens, plus a whole bunch of other options.
A lot of Simmers live by this mod, and I can see why: the vanilla game can feel a bit static when the other Sims in your neighborhood don't do anything without you; with the MC Command Center, life goes on whether or not you play each individual household.
2. Go to School Mod
These first two require the Get to Work expansion pack, but both are well worth adding if you've bought the EP. Thanks to Sims 4 modder extraordinaire, Zerbu, there are now a lot of ways to enjoy working and going to school in The Sims 4, the first of which is the Go to School mod.
If you've ever wanted to go to school with your children and teen Sims, here's your chance. The Go to School mod allows you to follow your children or teens to elementary or high school. It works similar to the active careers brought into the game with the GTW EP; as your child/teen Sim, you have to complete a number of tasks each day (like painting, socializing with classmates, playing instruments, etc.) to get a gold medal at the end of the day. Your school performance plays a part in your overall grade, so make sure your Sims are working their hardest in class.
Don't worry, though— it's not all work and no play. The mod adds in random events, like field trips (your Sims will randomly be transported somewhere in town, like a museum or park, and have "field trip" activities to do instead), and school dress-up day, where all your classmates come dressed in costumes. You can even choose to skip school and play hooky, if you want— there's now a "hooky" skill that your Sim can work on to evade school with no negative effects.
Download the Go to School mod here and make sure you follow ALL the directions on Zerbu's page to get it to work correctly, and don't forget to download an elementary and high school for your town. You can also find my CC-free school creations under the gallery by searching "brittpinkie" as well. This link will bring you to the newest version, V4, which includes new interactions, NPCs, a teaching career and a lot more :)
If you want to play without Zerbu's mod, read my article How to Make a Functioning School Using Get Together's Club System in The Sims 4.
Have you ever downloaded Mods into your Sims games?
3. Custom Food Interactions
Many of the previous games had the ability to add new food. Until recently, The Sims 4 modders hadn't figured it out, but now they have. Custom Food Interactions is the mod you need to add new foods to your game! With it, you can download a plethora of choices, like ramen or udon, mini pizzas, soups, dumplings, or breads.
Note: You can browse ModTheSims for foods to add, but make sure you have the base mod, Custom Food Interactions, installed in your game FIRST, in order for it to work.
4. Canning Station and Cotton Candy Machine
Continuing on with the food theme, it's definitely worth highlighting these two mods by the super-talented modder, icemunmun.
The first of the two is the Functional Canning Station. This mod adds in the Canning Station from the Sims 3 and gives your Sims the ability to can 15 different preserves (everything from honey spread to mango chutney), which give off some unique buffs when your Sims consume them! There's also a 10-level Canning Skill associated with the mod! This is a great mod for anyone who liked the Canning Station from The Sims 3 or who is looking for a new activity for their Sims to enjoy in the game.
icemunmun also brought back The Sims 3's cotton candy machine! This mod brings 10 new cotton candy flavours and buffs to go with all of them.
It's definitely worth checking out all of icemunmun's mods, as she does lots of nice food-related ones. You can never have enough food in the game!
5. Custom Careers
All iterations of The Sims games have come with careers created by the fans, but The Sims 4 is finally getting a few custom careers of its own. We do have to thank the talented Neia for creating her modding tool, which has allowed modders to easily create customer careers of their own. Here are some of my favourite custom careers:
- Coolspear1 hasn't created completely new careers, but instead did a major reworking of both the Scientist and Doctor careers included with Get to Work. It's best to just read the descriptions for a full explanation of all the things that were changed, but it's mostly things that will make the careers feel more realistic and seamless during gameplay (like increasing the chance of emergencies in the Doctor career, or adding more co-workers to both careers).
- I love the work from home mods by NoelleBelleFleur! She's taken the work at home mechanism which comes with the City Living expansion pack and applied it to several base-game careers, including Astronaut, Tech Guru, Painter, Culinary, Entertainer, Business, Athlete, and Writer, so that your Sims can choose whether to go to work each day or stay home and complete tasks. Of course, City Living is required, but these are great additions to the game, especially for Sims who have children at home or other hobbies where they may need to have a more flexible home/work life.
- I have to mention Neia's career mods! She's created several new "realistic" careers for the game, like Law Career, Education Career, Architect, Military and even a Self-Employment Career. These are some great options for players who enjoy more realistic game play, rather than having Sims who have the outlandish sort of jobs that come in the game (I mean, come on- not everyone grows up to be an astronaut or rock star!).
- More new careers are coming out each day! Check out ModTheSims for custom careers like Game Developer, Adventurer, Real Estate, Hacker, Nursing, Florist, and Tarot Card Reader! Meanwhile, don't forget checking out SSSVitlans' career tag on Tumblr; there's tons of cool careers there too from different modders, including Talk Show Host, Mortician, Dog Walker and Photographer!
AdBlocker Is Your Friend!
Modders and CC creators have increasingly begun to upload their content onto their own sites instead of ModTheSims (for many reasons, but that's another article). There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to be careful, as some creators hide their download links behind a thing called AdFly, or host their downloads on really spammy sites. The best thing is to use AdBlocker when downloading; it'll keep you safe from viruses or overly spammy AdFly pages!
6. Road to Fame Mod
Want to give your Sims the lifestyle of the rich and famous? Then try out Sacrificial Road to Fame mod! This mod adds tons of new gameplay, including skills (Simstagram Skill), fame levels, buffs, new interactions and animations, fans and paparazzi and more!
This mod is really fun and in-depth due to all the cool abilities Sacrificial created for it. It feels more like an official expansion pack due to the depth, and is definitely a good pack for anyone who misses the celebrity elements from The Sims 3. Sacrificial also updates the mod regularly (and if you subscribe to his Patreon page, you can get updates as soon as he releases them) and adds new, fun elements.
7. Playable Pets Mod
Are you frustrated that your cats and dogs aren't playable in The Sims 4? Well, you can download The Sims 4 Studio's Playable Pets Mod and play as your cat and dog! Of course, you'll need The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs expansion pack for this to work, but this mod unlocks the ability to select your cat or dog as a playable character in the game.
It does have some basic interactions that you can do as a pet, such as "investigate" or "perform routine", but I like this mod because it allows you to select your pet and stop them from doing certain interactions, force them do interactions (like eat, sleep, play, etc.), and you can actually look at their needs, which was previously locked without the mod.
This is a must-have mod for anyone with the Cats & Dogs EP!
8. Fairies Mod
If you miss the fairies from The Sims 3, don't worry- talented modder, Nyx has brought them back in a new and unique way with their Fairies mod! This mod adds the ability to play as a fairy in The Sims 4!
You can have wings of different colors, can cast magic auras, meditate, "fly", and more! Nyx worked really hard on this mod and it shows- there's tons of buffs, new interactions, abilities and fun elements which makes it feel like an exciting addition to the game.
9. Become a Sorcerer Mod
If you're looking for another supernatural-themed mod, then you should definitely try out the Become a Sorcerer Mod by Triplis!
This mod allows your Sims to become a sorcerer (either good or bad!), and gives them the ability to cast spells! You can manipulate the freewill of other Sims, work on the Black Arts Skill or the White Arts Skill, choose to devote yourself to the Light or Dark side, have a magical connection between other Sims, and even Teleport!
This is another really well developed mod with tons of abilities, traits, skills, and more that'll give you hours of additional game play!
10. Tropical Getaway Mod
I don't know about you, but I've been dying for The Sims 4 to create a beach vacation world. Thankfully, while we wait for the official beach world to come out (if it ever does), we can play with Nandos and SimsFans' Tropical Getaway Mod!
This mod needs The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat game pack to work, and once you install it, it'll transform Granite Falls into Granite Beach! The mod replaces the woodsy exterior of Granite Falls into a tropical destination, with beaches, waterfalls and volcanoes in the distance, sand on the ground, and even new beach-themed lots. Zerbu (the above creator of the Go To School mod) also made new traits for this mod ("Relaxer" and "Beach Junkie"), and there's even new CAS clothing that will look great on your beach-going Sims.
I really love this mod! I don't keep it in my game all the time, but I love putting it in when my Sims want to take a tropical vacation and relax on the beach!
*Please note that while the mod's download page is in German, the mod itself is in English!
11. Custom Traits and Aspirations
Sims 4 modders have been creating custom traits and aspirations for quite some time now, and there are TONS out there. You can browse the traits and aspirations tags on ModTheSims or SSSVitlans' Tumblr, but here are some of my favourite custom traits and aspirations, that I think are worth a mention:
- For some reason, Get To Work didn't include any aspirations to go with its new careers, but uber-talented modder, Konansock fixes that with his Get to Work Active Career Aspirations Mod! This mod adds 4 new aspirations to the game, which go with the Get to Work careers, Detective, Doctor and Scientist, and a bonus Frankenstein aspiration. All of these aspirations come with new interactions and buffs, and really add some new elements and fun to the Go to Work careers!
- Maybe this isn't a very "glamourous" one, but it definitely adds realism: the Acne Prone Trait! This mod/trait gives your Sims acne breakouts, and the ability to bathe to remove them. I think this is a great one for teen Sims, and it's just a really fun, realistic detail for the game.
- jackboog1 recreated several different aspirations from The Sims 2 to the Sims 4, including the Romance, Knowledge, Family and Grow Up Aspirations! These are great new aspirations to add to your game, especially for any Sims 2 fans who miss the aspirations from The Sims 2.
- Piebaldfawn created an Autism Spectrum Disorder trait! As someone who has worked in the Autism community for years, this is one that's near and dear to my heart. It gives your sims different buffs (like "sensory overload" and "enjoying routine") and it takes these Sims longer to form friendships. They will also have special whims that sometimes people with ASD might have, like "be alone" or "question emotion." This is a really special trait, and I particularly love the thought that went into it.
- Finally, while the Random Traits & Aspirations mod by graycurse doesn't add any NEW mods or aspirations to the game, it does add the ability to randomize traits and aspirations when creating Sims. This is great for someone who has a hard time picking and choosing aspirations or traits to give their Sims, or for those of us (like myself) who just use the same traits over and over again, essentially recreating the same Sims with each new game play.
12. No More Culling
This one doesn't add to the actual game play, but it's definitely a must-have if you're a generations-type player, or anyone who plays the game for more than a few days.
Here's the thing: The Sims 4 has a huge glitch in it, where it culls (deletes) Sims from your neighborhood bin. This happens after an in-game week, or when your population reaches over 200. The game does this to keep things running smoothly, which seems great in theory, but the problem comes with whom it chooses to cull— anyone your Sims haven't interacted with lately— so that might be old friends, old family, or even ghosts. This causes a bunch of problems; relationships already decay quickly in the game, so that best friend you haven't called in a few weeks? Well, she's deleted now. Oh, and that ghost in your family tree? Well, now it's been culled from the game and that spot in your family tree is vacant :(
The No Culling Mod (again, by the talented Neia) does exactly what it says, and it's essential for anyone who wants to keep their family trees intact and play with all the Sims they've created or befriended. You can easily do your own culling by periodically going through the neighborhood menu and deleting Sims manually (and you can keep an eye on your population by downloading this small Get Town Population mod). This is a must-have for any player, in my opinion!
...well, you asked for it. I've finally added one of the most popular, albeit risque mods for the Sims 4 to this page- turbodriver's Wicked Whims. I'll be completely honest with you- I do not use this mod in my game (woohoo under the covers is just fine with me, haha), but if you want to have more fully animated X-rated options for woohoo in the game, this is the mod for you.
Note: You must be 18 and older to visit the site!
As I update this page, I'll be "retiring mods" from the list. That doesn't mean that they're not still worth downloading or that they're broken; it simply means that there are newer, cooler mods to download at the moment. Here's some of the mods that I once featured here, which are still worth adding to your game:
Teen/YA Romance: This one adds the ability for teens and young adults to have romances and unlocks all the teen romance options for teens/young adults in relationships. There's no Woo Hoo or Try For Baby, but you can still Mess Around or Exchange Promise Rings.
No Mosaic/Censor: Just as the name implies, this one takes away the blur/censor which appears whenever your Sims shower, use the toilet, breastfeed, or streak. It doesn't alter gameplay, except cosmetically.
If you're looking to add realistic genitals to your Sims, I recommend these:
Questions & Answers
is there a dog walker that can be hired to walk your dogs regularly in The Sims 4?
Yes, there sure is. Check out this Dog Walker & Dog Jogger mod by LittleMsSam: littlemssam.de/dogwalker/.Helpful 82
How do I download the Sims 4 mods in Origin?
You don't download them in Origin! Please check out my other article, How to Download and Install Mods in The Sims 4 to find out how to download mods if you don't know how.Helpful 59
Why isn’t the Sims 4 online multiplayer mod included here?
Sims 4 online multiplay is fairly new and I haven't tried it yet myself to call it a "must-have" mod!Helpful 43
- Helpful 10
Are these SIMS 4 mods only available for PC/MAC or will they work on an XBox too?
For the time-being, these mods are only for computers.Helpful 7
© 2014 Brittany Brown