How to Install Downloaded Minecraft Maps
What is a Minecraft Map? How Do I Download One?
In Minecraft, you can craft a map out of paper made from sugar cane and add it to your inventory. The map will draw itself as you explore and record where you go. To use a ready-made map, you can be gifted one from a friend, or you can download one from the Internet.
Once you've downloaded a map, though, there are a few steps you need to take in order to be able to explore it in the game. Read on to learn about the following steps:
- Downloading a Minecraft map
- Locating the Minecraft map on your computer
- Unzipping the compressed file
- Playing your new map
1. Find and Download a Map
The first thing you need to do is find a map to download. As mentioned above, many times YouTube videos of Minecraft play will contain download links for that map. There are also websites which aggregate Minecraft maps for download.
Always be careful when downloading files from the Internet and only download maps from trusted sources. Be sure that your computer's anti-virus software is up-to-date. Don't download .EXE files that claim to be installers, as they are likely to be viruses.
Some popular sites for downloading maps include: Planet Minecraft Projects, the Maps section of Minecraft Forum, and Minecraft Maps.
2. Find Your Saved Files
Your downloaded map will most likely be in a .ZIP or .RAR form. To unzip it, you will first need to locate the saved file in your Minecaraft "saves" folder, as that is where downloaded game files like maps are stored.
What is the Minecraft "saves" folder, and how do you locate it? The folder is in your directory of Minecraft files. There are a few ways to locate it:
Using the Minecraft Launcher:
- Open the Launcher, and select Edit Profile.
- Click the Open Game Dir option. "Dir" is short for "Directory."
- Your "saves" folder will be in the .minecraft directory.
- Open the Start menu and select Run.
- Type (without quotes) "%appdata%\.minecraft\saves\" and hit Enter.
Using Mac OS
- Open the Finder.
- Select Go and Go to Folder...
- When prompted, enter (without quotes) "~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves".
3. Unzip the Map File
The downloaded map file it is most likely in .RAR or .ZIP format, which will need to be unzipped. Unzip it with your favorite unzipper, such as WinRAR, 7-Zip, or The Unarchiver (for Mac OS).
- Having located the "saves" folder, you can copy the folder path of the "saves" folder into your unzipper of choice.
- Depending on which program you use, the unzipped file will be automatically saved to the Minecraft "saves" folder, or you may be prompted to choose where to save the file.
- If saved to the Desktop or another location other than the "saves" folder, copy and paste the extracted file into the "saves" folder, which you learned how to locate in Step 2.
- You can also rename your downloaded map if you like.
4. Launch Your Downloaded Map
If your downloaded, unzipped map has been saved in the Minecraft "saves" folder, you should be able to select it when you play Minecraft when asked to select a World from your Worlds list.